Forums > Social Chat > Not smoking but stuffing face!!!

Login/Join to Participate

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
Hey Everyone!!!

I gave up smoking a whole week ago! I have not had a ciggy or any other smokey thing at all!!!! I used to be about 5 - 10 ish a day, so I am feeling quite strange and tense and odd...... But I am stuffing my face full of food, I cannot stop! Esp when I am at home and usually I would be relaxing on the sofa, but I am wondering round room to room stuffing pringles and dip and rhubarb and custard sweets into my mouth!! Does anyone have any suggestions that will stop me from pigging out so much? Its hard enough not smoking...what am I meant to do? Help......

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
Sending you a big bag of karma to help you through.
WELL DONE...it's a big step that you've taken now it's just a case of not going back!!!!
You should be proud, i've been smoking since i was seven, i'm now twenty and have tried everything to give up, but i just don't have the will power.

Try to keep your hands and mind busy.
The longest spell i've done with out smoking i took up juggling, but sadly i started smoking again, but kept juggling!!!!
Chew gum as well that helps.
Hey, if you need some one to talk to if it starts to get the better of you just drop me a mail.
Best of luck to you
LOL
Taking it easy
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.
N.E.W.B. Agent #012
"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

Kevmember
83 posts

Posted:
Firstly are you prone to gaining weight easily? If not I wouldn't worry too much. Otherwise, you could try and find something to do that precludes you from both eating and smoking..? Juggling sounds good

- Honk if you love peace and quiet!

primative_toyshappy hunting
228 posts

Posted:
dont woz just twirl a whole heap more to work it off, it will also vent frustration.... as long as you dont set urself on fire....
happyhunting
mythmitch

regret nothing, learn everything

fire_light_movement

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Its quite normal to not be able to stop eating when you fisrt give up smoking. The advice I was given by a smoking counsellor was to not worry about the eating as any weight you put on will usually be lost after about six months and your body weight get back to normal. Try to snack on healthy foods rather than high sugar/fat foods.

Best of luck in your quest to beat the Nicotine Demon

Are we nearly there yet?

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Tambo,

1) Congratulations on making the decision to quit! Even if you do put on weight, the benefit to your health by quitting will far outweigh (pardon the pun) a momentary eating binge.

2) It's quite normal for people to put on weight after quitting smoking. Try to satisfy your oral fixation (which is what you are actually suffering from) with water, herbal tea, or healthy snaks like fresh veggies (no fair dipping in veggie dip!).

OR

Just give in and lose the weight later.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
mmmm well that's what my uncle did when he quit smoking. He just kinda ate his way though it. I'd say whatever your eating is better than smoking.

Oh yah ignore Mike, dip the veggi in dip (you can use light ranch dressing as dip you know)

Or: when my friend quit smoking she joined the swim team at her school. That kept her mind off smokes. Now she's quite smoking (since Sept 1/02), and has a hobby that she enjoys.

Good Luck I hope you succede

[ 15. January 2003, 20:24: Message edited by: Frost ]

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Like cream cheese is good as a dip too.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately, before I quit I ate huge amounts of food anyway,so I never really noticed it as a syptom of quitting.

I'm down to 0-3 cigs a year now, which I think is pretty much as close to my goal as it needs to be.

You can do it! But it takes a lot of effort.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
If you are craving sweets go to your local health food shop and ask about chromium (sp) suppliments.. should help with sugar cravings.. best things to munch on as usuall - boring healthy stuff.. CARROTS!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
ohhh the site looks all new and exciting!....

Thanks for all your thoughts chaps!

Last night was better - massaged my boyfriend when I had a craving so that was cool and he was very happy too!
Juggling does sound like a very good idea, I will have to go out and get some balls or just use apples for now, or perhaps I should eat the apples insead of junk food , but some how I have been craving sweet and fatty things.....

I am off to Prague on hols tomorrow so I think I am going to use gum there as I don't want it to ruin my holiday, and when I come back I am going to join a gym
Its been over a week now since I quit so surely its not long now.........

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
If you need a sugar buzz and something to keep you occupied..

Lollipops!

I lived off the damn things as a smoke substitute. Works a treat

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
Kat - I have an industrial size jar of rhubarb and custards!!!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:

Tongue hanging out, mouth salivating..

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yup I'm with Kat on that one, lollipops are definitely the way to do it. I'm gone 2 weeks without smoking and I'm also stuffing my face like a coooookie monster.

We also find that getting stoned helps to calm the anxiety though joints are out unless you have weed.

Good luck and let me know how your getting on.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
DSS - Two weeks! Excellent! Well done!!!

Joints are definitely out. When I gave up last time, I was smoking joints instead of having a cig, so it kind of defeats the object for me, plus the fact I don't really enjoy being stoned too much. But then again, I was round at my friends last weekend and everyone was smoking and so I got very tipsy on vodka a cava and I am not a drinker either! Oh well, I just take it one day at a time and so far its been 8!
I am a little worried about my holiday tomorrow though as I went to boots and nicoteine (Sp) replacement stuff is so expensive, more expensive than fags for me as I used to smoke rollies, and got the tabacoo from a friend (nudge nudge wink wink! but I dont mean stolen I mean from other countries where its loads cheaper!) I just hope its ok and does not ruin the hols

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Congratulations on quiting!! I quit just over 2 months ago now, feels good doesn't it!!
I'm eating more than I used to coz of the cravings and because I used to miss meals because smoking hid my hunger.
Excercise definitly helps to fight cravings, seeing how much difference stopping makes to your aerobic ability helps to reinforce will-power too, & helps you spin longer

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
hey congrats I quit in november and it does feel better.all the things people said were true I can taste and smell like never before,and I am no longe rthe lazy pile of shit that I was.

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
Hey whats wrong with being a lazy pile of shit?

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
Well, I have got back from Prague, and although I did have 2 and a half ciggies I have not had one since and I know in my heart that I have given up and its no longer a struggle not to smoke! Hurrah!
By the way, Prague is the most beautiful place I have ever been to! Its fantastic, if you ever get the chance go, and make sure you see some black light theatre!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Cool. I've messed up once or twice but as long as you wake up the next day and not smoke I think your still ok. It's more a mind set than anything else. Keep on Keeping on!!!

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.