Page: ...
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I will try my best not to make this rant about the evil corporation of Apple so lets not make it into one so here goes.

Basically my Ipod is fully screwed after only having it since July last year, I sent it back to Apple adn they decided that the problem with my ipod was caused by 'accidental damage, misuse/ abuse' and therefore it is not covered under their guarantee so they sent it back to me, still broken. I dont really knwo how this is possible, true I've had it for 6 months but its not like it's beend ropped, or at least not anymore than how things accidently drop, and certainly not sufficient to warrant it breaking about 7 months, however there isnt really anything i can do, they say I broke it, I say I didnt, in the end they were the ones who the 'thorough' diagnostic. My word against theirs so I dont really think I have any kind of case for argument, or do I?

But anyway secondly assuming I cannot get them to sort it which is looking the case I need a new MP3 player, do I trust Apple again, this is my second Ipod in the last 3 years, if I got a new one and it broke would they do the same again, I dont think I can trust a new Ipod. But that brings me to my next issue.

The third problem is I have about 2500 songs on my Ipod (and therefore music library on my computer) the majority of which are the format of either MPEG-4 or M4A, I think M4A and MPEG 4 are Apple's own format and so if I went with a different brand I'm assuming I couldnt add my old music library and therefore loosing the majority of my songs which I really really don't want. Or am I wrong?

So my question is does anyone know of ways to either convert the formats or any MP3players out there despite apple that support the format? So I dont have to go back to the evil guys and get another Ipod frown

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
iPod firmware update?

I found iTunes to be great! It managed my music in a way that I really liked and no other player has done (amarok is close, but bits still bug me).

I guess it's just taste.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
trie a nice cooler master power unit, and it works, purchesed one cheaper that didnt even work (no power) put my old one back in and sat and watched my pc on fire... think that i found the problem!

Got the new one swopped and my pc runs fine even with the iopd attached and thank god my HDD's didnt fry as i dont have any thing backed up! eek.

not so long ago i had a frozen ipod.. quick fix let the battery run out and turn it on again!, i just froze plugging it in to my pc! strange.

i hope that now i dont have any more ipod woes.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
You could hld down menu and play/pause to reset it.

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

I found iTunes to be great! It managed my music in a way that I really liked and no other player has done (amarok is close, but bits still bug me).

See, my problem is that i see the potential in itunes, and obviously have to use it for my pod, but when i bought it i had approx 2300 songs in my media player library (after the big clearout!), and all filenames are consistent, all genres are consistant, ive given every single one a star rating and have even gone through changing artist name spelling errors to make sure i get the full list.
It means that i have a beutifully organized collection, thats been slowly put together over years.
When i told itunes to add the contents of my My Music folder, they had no star ratings, or genres and the filenames went to sh*t,

Its driving me crazy!!!!!!!

i wouldnt mind using itunes if it would only take the star ratings! i cant be arsed to do it all again!
so ive resorted to skimming the list and just choosing the odd song to put on my pod, instead of "all 5 star rated songs"

grrrrrr frown

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Well I tunes uses the ID3 tags within the audio file, and file names don't matter. I used Musicmatch to tag all my files (it does it really well) and the iTunes sorted them all in to the filders for me. Thats not hard to do - I could have written a script that did it, but i like the fact that I could just drop a folder on to iTunes and it would copy the files to the correct place for me.

The star rating is another thing. Amarok (the player I use at the moment) uses MySQL to store the info on the files including the rating. That means I can write another program that can use that data to do anything I wanted it to (like change my HoP sig to the track I'm playing - but that seems a bit pointless - or showing stats on music trends - like moon phases and taste or something). Anyway, it has a lot of power.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
itunes ported my library fine... didnt change a thing!

And i hard typed all track, albumn, artist info for 4500 tracks in win media player xp.

Converted them on import to itunes to mp3.. nothing changed!.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
so... How do I get .avi files on my Ipod?

I want to be able to play thhem on an Ipod video, but Itunes won't import them unless they're .mov...

Is there an easy way to convert them?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
How long do you want the file to be?

Google for "free Avi to mov converter"
There'll be lots of "Free download manager" links, and the majority are shareware, whith the usual restriction that you cant convert more than 20 mins of footage.

Ive managed ot get a free avi to 3Gp converter so I can watch ANY videos or films on my phone! biggrin

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Try ffmpegx

Lots of conversion options for audio and visual files.. loads more features. But easy to use. Eventually they will ask for some money but in the meantime you can click the 'talk to me about this later' button...

Also works well for those annoying .flv files that downloadhelper delivers from youtube...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys!!

hug

Colin found me a nice program called cucusoft ipod video convertor...

three clicks and it converts... biggrin

But thanks again for the wicked responses!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Page: ...