Forums > Help! > i need ideas for an escape

Login/Join to Participate

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hey everyone.

as some of you know, apart from twirling im an escape artist, and im trying to think up a new act.

this new act has to be easily transportable (ie, no large rigging or big water tanks)

at the moment i have two straight jackets, two pairs of cuffs, two pairs of foot shackles, which i can get out of easily enough.

so yeh, any ideas of restraint that you have, let em fly...

cheers, pete hug kiss

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Me too Pete.

Perhaps it shouldn't be what you do, but how.
For example, my friend Harley Newman escapes from a straightjacket whilst riding a unicycle. It is highly amusing.

There are also ropes. Lets not forget the absolute joy of 100 ft of silk rope. It can be quite the challenge when wrapped and tied properly. These offer diversity too. You can be straight tied, prison tied, hog tied, etc. And it opens the floor to craploads of jokes, more than I think even a straightjacket.
And if you have someone tie you to a chair, it takes longer.
Portable and fun, and honestly it can be quite challenging. Plus I think it gives ALOT more opportunity for audience interaction and real performance than the larger acts.

Think some of the earlier Houdini acts. At that time he was more about the showmanship and the challenge of simple objects rather than the grandiose acts that are out today who seem to forget both real showmanship and true escapes in favor of illusions.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i must agree with you whole heartedly pele, alot of escapes have changed dramatically since the old times.

ive tried a few rope acts before (see ry's gallery) but when i did them i hadnt learnt to much on showmanship. after crimping a ligament in that, i learnt i need better rope, of which i still havent done. In the meantime however, ive learnt much more presentational skills and other techniques, i might go rope shopping this weekend biggrin

also, ive come up with an idea of getting locked in a suitcase, any suggestions on how i could make it harder to get out of, other than rope or chain?

cheers, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
What about escaping from a suitcase and a bag that are really cramped. But you get out of the bag in the suitcase, where there really shouldn't be any room to do that sort of thing.

Having said that, some of the best escapology routines I've seen have just been the one man, one straightjacket and a couple of chains. It was his sense of humour which carried the performance.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
indeed, the classics are great. but aswell as using them, i need also need to create some more original stuff.

the 2bags idea (pardon the pun) sounds like a good idea though, may test this out.

cheers, pete hug

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
is it true that some escape artists straight jackets have a little trick behind them to make them easy to escape from ( i won't reveal it and spoil it for people) but do you use this trick pete?

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
nope. my older jacket is homemade and real, but not of high quality. my newer one is made by 'humane restraint' the company that makes almost all of the institution restraints in the US, which of course, isnt gimmicked.

*nifty thing: apparently, charles manson couldnt get out my exact model straight jacket tongue *

cheers, pete hug

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: ravehead

is it true that some escape artists straight jackets have a little trick behind them to make them easy to escape from ( i won't reveal it and spoil it for people) but do you use this trick pete?

Sidenote: if they are using something that is gaffed (the term used when saying stuff is in some way gimmicked) then they aren't real escape artists. Escapes take alot of patience and a bit of time to do but in truth anyone can do them without gaffing.

Pete..if you really want to get an interesting reaction, you can always use leather retraints. They look funky (think bondage).
Have you thought about a "metamorphosis" quick change style thing with yourself if you use the bags? You could do bag inside case inside bag and bound with leather.

However, if you want something the audience can see the entire time you can also think of creative ways of tieing things which limit mobility. For example. try "noosing". Cuff your hands behind your back then have a tie that goes around your neck and connects to your hands. Thus if you pull too much you choke. Getting out of that would be impressive and a challenge. smile

I have a friend who sets a mini-bomb between his legs. His assistant lights it and then he gets out of the jacket in time to pull the fuse. I don't recommend it but something dramatic like that is still small and attention grabbing.

Pele

7,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pele

I have a friend who sets a mini-bomb between his legs. His assistant lights it and then he gets out of the jacket in time to pull the fuse. I don't recommend it but something dramatic like that is still small and attention grabbing.

eek that could be painfull if it went wrong ubblol

*day dreams* i always wanted to date a female contotionist ubbangel ubblove

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
How about a suitcase/trunk that has arm and leg holes in the side and then a straight jacket made to fit over the trunk and it traps your arms around the case. It has comedy value.......

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
What about escaping backwards?

umm

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:

Why there's a coincideceI happento know one too,and tremendous company she is but sadly as far as I can make out there's ninteresat sofaras I'm concerned there.

What about being blndfolded before tied up so you can't see what your volunteers aredoing, kotwise and otherwise?

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

7,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: UraniumChipOxidationFacility

What about escaping backwards?

umm

what.............un-escaping??

meh.......... would be different to see an escape artist get in to restaints haha ubblol

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
hug pete hug

can you teach me how to get out a straight jacket... me thinks it might come in useful when they come to lock me away!

could you use an old musical instrument case?? just a different shape....

how big do old bird cages come...?

hmm... easily transportable....

something you can already do balanced on a roller skate.....???
whilst balancing something???

he he how about some of these...

Non-Https Image Link

but not those ones cos they are releasable...
cheap, small... biggrin

okays i'll stop waffling...
x

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
pele: thanks for some great ideas. im trying to stay away from the metamorphosis / sub-trunk style effects. i dont like going behind a screen etc. it seems (to me) to turn into magic then.

Seb: great idea, being blindfolded adds a whole new perspective to an escape.

Lemming: a music case could work, but a bird cage would be too hard. Ive just got a method for escaping from cable ties, of to non releasable kind, which could add another dimmention too.

Skully: that could work really well. when doing an escape, disproving what someone thought was your method works great.

thanks soo much everyone. also, im going to start working on a way to get out of a straight jacket, without my arms actually going over my head. this way, i could be jacketed and put in a bag with my head comming out the top, held in place with a collar. etc.. etc..

*that made sence in my mind*

ok, im gona go do some drawings..

thankyou all soo much hug2 kiss

cheers, pete hug

*eddited cos i missed skully's stuff biggrin *

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:

Written by: Pele

eek that could be painfull if it went wrong ubblol

He'd get 2nd and 3rd degree burns, he said. Not blow his ankles off though. It's the risk he wants to take.

I'm working on an escape involving fire rope...and that's all I am going to say.

Honestly, and I don't know about Pete but blindfolds wouldn't do much for me. I don't rely on vision but on feel anyway. This is also something other ea's I know do, so I don't know how much of an impression it would leave.

Have you thought of the russian shackles...that have the straight bar between them?

Pele

effexmember
32 posts

Posted:
acts of escape are dangerous if the performer is not skilled in any craft involving the mechanics needed. There are many cases of brave performers trying to impress a crowd only to end up in a struggle for life.
IMHO illusion is a more subtle and provoking act.

smile and people will wonder what yr up to.

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i cant see a blindfold doing too much to hinder me, but it may do something for the audience. either way, theres only one way to find out, i might test it soon.

cheers, pete hug

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
p.s. we dont aim for danger, we aim for the illusion of danger. i wont say too much, not wanting to reveal personal and trade secrets.

personally, i feel that watching someone get restrained, having a curtain drawn and all of a sudden, the artist walks out is much more of an anti-climax, yet watching the artist struggle for a period of time, much more exiting.

finally, impressing the crowd doesnt come first, impressing ourselves does.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Well, I disagree with effex.
If it is done well and properly, there really isn't a struggle for life. In fact, in most escapes, there is not a struggle for life at all. To get out of a rope, a jacket, etc...sure. But not for life. The whole "death defying" escapes are actually really rare.

There are far more dangers with many illusions if they go wrong.

But I am also going to point out that you contradict yourself Pete.
You said that the blindfold might be impressive to an audience and then turned around and said that impressing ourselves comes first. I completely disagree, because I don't pay my own paycheck. The audience does...and if I only impress myself and not them, then I might as well have never stepped on the stage.

Pele

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
what about mittens? scrap the blindfold and do the escaping wearing mittens. that are shackled to your wrists.... or even just have that string that goes under your clothes to stop you losing them.... i'd be impressed if you did that.... biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hehe, yeh pele, i do that alot tongue

i guess i aim for both.. ill try n make more sence when im more awake..

cheers, pete hug

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
How about being locked/tied/chained to someone from the audience? You could get free yourself but leave them tied up or some such ruse.maybe if you were in a straight jacket and their arms were cuffed to yours and as you get the jacket off it gets put onto them?

Bear in mind I find it hard to escape from my own hoodies sometimes without help, so I have no idea if this is possible! ubblol

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hey, nice idea. it might take a bit (alot) of thinking, but may be possible...

*ponders*

cheers, pete hug

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
How about escaping from a vacuum sealed bag? Seems to be a new big thing in escape/sideshow.

Also, dunno what kind of shows you put on but an escape artist friend of mine used to offer the audience $100 if they could tie him up (sometimes to surrounding objects) so that he couldnt escape within 5 minutes. That was usually a crowd favorite and easy. Also a great opportunity to add showmanship by making fun of how easy they're making it. Just make sure there are no rope bondage people in the audience first smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hehe, yeh, i tend to do alot of work in goth / fetish clubs, so that may be a problem. but that would work well for heaps of other places i perform in.

cheers, pete hug

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Also, you might wanna look up the 'fastest rope escape' trick if you dont already know it. Its a trick and not a true escape but its fun and always a crowd pleaser.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hi Pete.

If you want to add an element of danger, it doesn't necesarily have to be yourself. Try putting a stuffed toy or, if you are kind to animals, a fish in a bag or bowl attached to a timer, that needs you to escape and rescue it before something awful happens.

If you want cheap and easy a fish in a big plastic bag with the water running out of it would be pretty easy to set up, but may not be very pleasant for the fish (although it might enjoy it too, I don't speak fish so can't know for certain).

More animal friendly is a toy fish or something similar, but the leaking water thing is an easy graphic and kinda cool timer for attracting a crowd.

You could even get sooooo wrapped up in being happy you escaped and ignoring the warnig form the crowd, the toy runs out of water AFTER the ecape and you have to perform CPR, and then accidentally swallow the toy fish, look green, sick, vomit into a bag, and bring out a real fish from that bag.

Or something like that, I may be being too creative for my own good at the moment...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
charles you rock! thats a great idea. tomorow im gona go and find some toy fish tongue i rekon that'd work for kids, teens and adults.

icon, i dont know the fastest rope escape, but ill have a look in my rope book tonite.

cheers, pete hug

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
ok, ive got a chance to try a new escape. the rehersal is tomorow, and the propper thing on tuesday, at my school.

its for our house drama competition, so im gona use charles's fish idea to create even more drama and suspence. ill get put in a straight jacket and US police prisoner transport shackles (smith and wesson 100s and 1900s chained together) then put into a bag or suitcase. the bag will have its zips locked together with a borrowed padlock, then wrapped in chains. of course, i get out, in full view.

am trying to work on some other acts using the stuff that you guys have come up with.

cheers, pete hug