Forums > Social Discussion > Hamas win Palestinian Election

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
This has brought me to the verge of tears.

The Palestinian people have democratically decided that they want their political representatives to be a party commited to the 'Destruction of the state of Israel,' and who campaigned on a platform advocating a policy of non-negociation (as this implies recognising the party you seek to negociate with), and who claim that any Israeli (including unborn children) is a legitimate military target, as all Israelis have a compulsory military service, and as adults are lifelong reservists.

If Hamas now decide to renounce violence, recognise Israel and negociate towards a two-state solution they will betray the values which have seen them elected... Essentially democracy will have been negated.

From what I've read, Hamas want Fatah to form a coalition government with them (although they hold a majority) as this would mean that they wouldn't be pressured to implement their electoral program, but Fatah have so far ruled that possibility out.

If they hold true to their charter and campaign policies, continuing an armed struggle, in an attempt to remove Israel form the map, they will only perpetuate the suffering of a people whose GDP has decreased by 75% in the last five years (since the start of the second infitada).

With Israel due to hold elections in two months time, this result will undoubtedly send the Israeli vote rightwards... Towards the politicians who claim they will be able to protect them, rather than those who seek peace of any sorts. Likud (the Israeli right) were set to be all but wiped out from the Knesset (Israeli parliament) before this. Now I fear there's a chance that Netenyahu will get elected.

Having risked civil war in the disengaement from Gaza in August, Israelis will feel that this election result shows that the Palestinian people don't want peace, and that concessions (however small) they have made have been for nothing. Which plays right into Netenyahu's hands as he was the guy leading the opposition to the disengagement, claiming that the Palestinians were not intrested in peace.

World of rubbishness

frown

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
In response to Doc:

"Understanding and continuous effort sound like political slogans but (are) the only way to come to peace."

umm Start to forget the old testament... ?

Dry up the finance of terrorist organisations AS MUCH as the swiss bank accounts of politicians and lobbyists of BOTH, east and west. Higher penalties for corruption and stronger control of arms sales and trafficking. Common education of both (in this case) Israeli and Palestinian/ better speaking Arab in subjects of history and sociology, student exchange programs (remember Sting's song "the Russians love their children, too"?) Funding of independant (non-religious) schools...

And foremost: International subsidies for the research/ development of alternative and renewable sources of energy, so the West stops being completely dependant on Arabian oil and silenced for that reason...

How does that sound to you (for a start)?

There are million ways to make peace - but only a few to make war...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Written by: FireTom

student exchange programs (remember Sting's song "the Russians love their children, too"?)

That's not gonna work... the people who'd agree already want peace, and the other ones will believe you plan to give their children to be potentially brainwashed or killed by terrorists...

There are million ways to make peace - but only a few to make war...

Are there? I think there's just very few ways for both...

And to pick up on something else dream said, I'd noticed that whenever you criticise Israeli politics etc, you're automatically stamped "antisemitic" by a lot of people... it's a bit like Bush really, if you don't agree with him you support terrorism and are anti-democratic. Quite frustrating, especially if you're German and you say "I'm not antisemitic, I just have a different way of politics", and the answer is "Sure, and your grandfather wasn't in the SS, was he? Nobody's grandfather was - I wonder where all their people came from! Only the Germans could ever... (fill in the gap with whatever you want)!"

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

Dry up the finance of terrorist organisations AS MUCH as the swiss bank accounts of politicians and lobbyists of BOTH, east and west. Higher penalties for corruption and stronger control of arms sales and trafficking. Common education of both (in this case) Israeli and Palestinian/ better speaking Arab in subjects of history and sociology, student exchange programs (remember Sting's song "the Russians love their children, too"?) Funding of independant (non-religious) schools...

And foremost: International subsidies for the research/ development of alternative and renewable sources of energy, so the West stops being completely dependant on Arabian oil and silenced for that reason...

How does that sound to you (for a start)?

Fine. That's a great long-term solution.

It does nothing to solve the immediate problem of a known terrorist organization running a government, now, does it?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
shrug You think short term solution to cease aid and diplomatic relationship is going to do any good? umm

Way to war: declare it! Or just start the killing anyways...

ubblol a known moron to run a country isn't much better I guess... Also the US could be seen as a terroristic organisation by
Iran, Iraq, North-Korea, Afganistan, Grenada, Lebanon, Syria, Panama, Vietnam, Nicaragua, Somalia, Serbia, Haiti... just to name a few (armed) conflicts since 1945 ... wink

But to put it less polemic:
Written by: Winston Churchill

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

It's funny though that the US want to give democracy and freedom to the world, yet have problems to tolerate/ accept the people that live in it (and their choices).

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Page: