Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Brief Pele history.....

I was born and given the name Starlynne.
I was adopted when I was 4 and my name was changed to simply Lynne.

I hate the name Lynne. Hate it on me that is. I have never felt comfortable in it. I have never felt as if it suited me in the least bit. In fact, and humiliatingly enough, most of the other "Lynn/e's" I know are male. Though it does mean beauty and river.

Now, when I first found all this name stuff out I was 21 and met my biological maternal family. Ewwww. I wanted nothing to do with them, at all. And while I really like the name Starlynne, alot, I didn't want to accept it because it came from them (petty aye?) and because I was afraid that I would offend my adoptive family.
No longer having those hang ups, and facing a really huge turning point in my life, I am concidering changing my name back. Not for my friends who know me, and most of you already call me Pele, which I like very much as well, but more for those I have yet to meet. I was wondering what you all think? I have spoken with several friends and I find it interesting.

ALso, how many of you are comfortable in your names? I know from the video Sage wasn't, so she changed it. My friend Denise said she wasn't until recently and my friend Jen hates her name with a passion.
Since I love names alot, and put alot of time and thought into naming my characters in stories and when I do interactive shows, I thought I'd get your opinions.
Thanks!
Me...by all names!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Well Pele, do what you will. hehe I know you will no matter what people say so I wont try to sway you one way or another

My real name is Scott: Scott is a word used to describe a Scotsman IE someone from Scotland, because it means tattooed in a celtic toung and most Scots were tattooed. This name holds true twice, I am of Scotish decent and I have 6 tats.

I am also a Jr. so it has family ties as well.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmm - interesting one Pele! Whenever I read the name Starynne I am overwhelmed by its loveliness, but when I actually say it, all I can think of is a certain Russian Joseph Stalin.

Am I pronouncing it correctly?

My real name is Sarah. I didn't particularly like it until I really became comfortable with who I am. I'm prone to bouts of princessness, so the name suits me fine My major gripe with it used to be the fact that it is such a common name in Australia amongst females my age. But, for some strange reason there isn't many in my little subculture, so it's not effecting me in that regard any more.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
My father originally wanted to name me "Meyer" after his father. But my mother (thankfully) decided that tagging a child with the name "Meyer Ginsberg" was a bit much (too ethnic). She then found out that my grandfather (who died 30 years before I was born), went by "Mike." So Michael it was, and "Mike" it is. The only people who call me "Michael" are my mother and some of my family who I haven't been able to train out of it. (I hate the name "Michael." It reminds me of my childhood, which was not a happy time in my life.)

I dunno, "Mike" is just my name. It's what everyone calls me. I neither love it nor hate it. It's just...mine. The only thing about it that I don't like is that people tend to call me "Michael," which drives me nuts. (Have I mentioned I hate the name "Michael"?)

Also, it is the most common male name in the USA (and pretty much in the entire English-speaking world). So hardly a week goes by when I don't whirl around at someone yelling my name....except it's someone else's name.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
As long as you are doing it for yourself, and not for other people, then I say go for it.

Ever since I could remember I was called "Chad", even though on my birth certificate it says "Charles".

I found out in my early teens that Mum hated the name Charles but that my Dad was called Philip Charles and my grandad called Charles Philip and his dad called Philip Charles and so on for a bout 700 years!

At 14 my dad died in a motor vehicle accident, and I felt I would like to change my nickname to my full name, which I did about five years ago when i shifted towns.

Basically, it's helped me with with who i am inside, and it's helped any confusion with the birth certificate names that sometimes come up on official documents.

Are you looking at changing your name officially, Pele, or just to your friends and family?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

rootiepatootiemember
5 posts

Posted:
Starlynne and Lynne are both beautiful and unique names. I would keep Lynne but you dont have to make any commitment quite yet.
My boyfirends name is Jon but the "J" has a "y" sound so its more like "yawn". He thinks he might just change to the American Jon and abandon his norwiegan roots (altho the blonde curly hair and green eyes are a dead give-away) but why bother when people will still read his name as "Jon" and we'll still call him "Yawn"? His dad, Per (pronounced "pear"), called himself the corresponding American name "Peter" on paper, like on credit card applications etc, so whenever he recieved mail or phonecalls that said "Peter" he knew it was junk mail or solicitors.
My name "Ruth" makes me feel like I'm 83 years old and my last name "Dickhoff" makes me sound like a freak o' nature. But I'm proud of the unique-ness and my German lineage.
I say you should try it out on a few people and put it down on paper and see how it feels. Maybe someday a solicitor will call and ask for Starlynne and it might feel natural .
-you know who

[ 11. December 2002, 11:38: Message edited by: rootiepatootie ]

¡poi poi poi!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
hehe another thing to add... I havnt gone by Scott in the better part of two years. We go by last name in the Corps. Even out in town it is still last name unless your really good friends hehe. Odd

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
for Pele.

Starlynne is a beautiful name, Pele is a beautiful name, Lynne is a beautiful name. What I am trying to say is that all names are beautiful in their own way. It's the history behind the giving of a name which causes the dislike of the name IMO. Or it becomiing over popular as in Flash's case.

My real name is Deborah and for years I detested it with a passion. I think it was because my parents gave it to me and I (quite wrongly)blamed them for so much heartache in my life. I didn't mind being called Debbie because it was an abbreviation I chose to be called myself at about 14. Over the last few years more and more people have taken to calling me Thistle and I like that.

Recently I've been talking with a counsellor and doing some therapy called reclaiming and championing your inner child. I think of the inner child me as little Deborah and as I have grown closer to myself and learned to love the inner me again I have grown quite fond of the name. I have started to think of myself more and more as Deborah recently, I have even started signing cards and stuff with that name and I no longer cringe when someone calls me by it.

I have realised that by refusing to acknowledge anyone when they called me by my given name I was shutting a door on a big part of myself. I reinvented myself as Debbie and then as Thistle to shut out stuff which I didn't want to deal with. It didn't really work though. It all haunted me for a long time, but not anymore I am happy to say.

I suppose, for me anyway, when the past is aired and then laid to rest it no longer has the power to hurt us.

Onelove, Deborah Firepixie.

Peace.

Are we nearly there yet?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
One other interesting note: in Azhkenazi Jewish tradition, it is not appropriate to name a child after someone who is still alive. Kids get named after dead people only.

This is a good rule, in my opinion, for a number of reasons.

1) If you name a kid after someone who is still alive, and then the namesake goes off and does something really bad, the kid is stuck with that name. A dead person's life is complete, so they can't stuff it up.

2) It cuts down on jealousy. (You named him after HIM and not ME???).

3) It makes it less likely that a child will feel the pressure to live up to a namesake.

4) It limits confusion because that way you don't have two "Andrews" living in the house.

5) It reduces the pressure to name a child after someone. Nobody is expecting you to name the child after them.

The other funny tradition is that once we've decided on the name of a baby, we do not refer to the baby by name until the baby is born. Judaism is really superstitious about this idea of not counting your babies before they are born. In fact, babies are not technically even considered fully alive until they've lived eight days after birth...at which point boys are circumcised. But we don't congratulate pregnant women (congratulating a pregnant woman is bad luck) and we don't have baby showers until after the birth.

So in order to avoid referring to the baby by name, expectant Jewish parents invent a "pseudonym" for the baby. This is often fun "what-if" name. My parents called me "Luigi." My niece was "Zelda." My little cousin was "Fletch." My nephew was "Pee-Wee." Etc.

On a different note, a girl I went to college with was named "Sativa." Her parents were stoners. Yes, that was her full legal name on her drivers license.

-Mike

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I was born with one name and than got adopted and that name got changed. Though my birth first name was kept as my middle name. This change was solely a legal thing and has never stuck in my everyday life. My parents have always called me Daniel, my birth name and now middle name. Everybody who knows me knows me as Daniel. The only people who call me by my legal first name are telemarkters or other solicitors, kind of a useful tool

Do I like the name Daniel? Sure, definitly better than my legal first name. Daniels a fine name, it's the only thing on the planet that I have from my biological parents. Though when I really think about who I am, everything that makes up "me", the name Daniel doesn't really work. I mean if somebody says "Daniel!" I'll turn by habit but if I really think about it sometimes it seems strange. I don't know what name, if any, captures all that I am, so I'm content with Daniel.

I've never been too reliant on the whole naming thing anyways, I rarely use people's names in day to day conversation, when I think of people, from close friends to random people, I don't identify them by their name, but by traits and such. I think it first started off due to a poor short term memory as a child and now it's developed into a way of life.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
My full name is Patrick. I've always liked my name, but for some reason I've always wanted to go by something else. I guess it was because I know other Patricks, and with any given nickname, I thought I was that much more unique.

For the longest when I was a kid, it was "Patch." Then I moved, and for some reason Patch didn't catch on with my new friends...and some kids would tease me by calling me "Patty". To combat that, I called myself by that name...I just spelt it a little differenly and hence became Paddy. It's stuck ever since.

And I like my last name too: Spear. Sounds very strong and to the point. (that's a bad pun, but it's true, and it's why I like it. ) At least, I did until that b*itch Britney came along! Now, people think that I can't spell my own name!

"Is there an S at the end of that?" they'll ask.

NO! If there was an S at the end, I'd have told you there's an S at the end of it, you twit~! I can spell my own farkin' name! I've been doing it since I was 2, and so far I've managed to do it without inexplicably dropping random letters!

ahem...um...yes, alright, I'm done now.

Many hugs,

Paddy Spear

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I am another Lynne. I am a Rosa-lyn. As Pele pointed out, Lynne means river, or running water. It is a welsh name. And so my name means rose in running water.

My mum is Judith Lyn and my Grandma was Evelyn. It is a family name thing.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Paddy, is there supposed to be an "s" at the end of your name?
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

-Mike

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
aarrrrggghhhhhAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

Non-Https Image Link

_ajina_member
10 posts

Posted:
Well I was born a one Christopher Matthew Slater, and me no like to much. Christopher means Christ-bearer or One who goes with Christ. And well... I'm a Taoist and very alti-organized religion, so it didnt strike me well when I learned of that.

I also became enamored with the Native American way of naming people. I'm not sure if this is a specific tribe or region, I should research it, but this is the one i heard and its the one i like. Throughout a person's life they have three names... A child is given a name at birth which will be their infant name. The name is based on what was happening at the time they were born. Example: A wolf was howling at the moon when the child was born, so that child's baby name is "Wolf howls at moon". When the child is no longer an infant but a toddler/child or wherever the dividing line is, they are given a name to suit what kind of child they are. No great examples here do i have, but i think you get the idea. Then whenever the line is croseed to wo/manhood they are given a name pertaining to what kind of person they have grown to be. There is no assigning of a name at birth, but a name changes with the person.

When I found this out, it was already too late for the first two stages of my life, I was a Chris. Frip to my dad. Then, I tested for my bleackbelt. That time felt like a culmination of everything my life had been, all of it focused into one set of trials. I passed, and found out that my sensei has an amazingly wonderful tradition of giving blackbelt names to suit the people and the martial artists they have become. What a perfect time for this to all come together, eh?

Well the name that was given to me was "Ajina." It's Japanese, but not a normal name, a word. It means 'smart, clever, witty and .... strange." Mr. March said that when he found it, he stopped looking, he knew he had found my blackbelt name.

So I'm Ajina now.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Uh! Woah! Paddy! Shouldn't you be working or something instad of fartin' around online now?

-Mike

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hi Pele
I met you at the Franconia spinn fest, and liked you from the start! I knew your name was Lynne, but never knew you as Starlynne. I Love the name Star, and I like the name Lynne, but if I was to look at you, I would Never Guess your Name right, not even in 3 tries! I can see your point.

Maby you should go with Star for awhile. Or do you have a middle name?
If all elts fails, I know you love the Renissance Times. Can you use a name from that time period? Maby one you are attracted to.
I have a thread out called 'Many Lives, Many Masters' Its all about past lives and reincarnation. I remember you telling me once that you feel like you where born in the wrong period in time, or maby just came from that time? Maby thats your best bet? Go with your Intuition.

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Oh-ya,
Like some of you guys, My father wanted to Name me, but my mother came to my rescue! He wanted to call me Anthony Rocko Ardita!
Thank God and my Mom, My name is Christian Collin Ardita, and I love my name. Like you ajina I am very opposed of organized religion, but I am a very spiritual man, so Christian is it.

I did Change my middle name a bit though, from Colin, to Collin. I don't like being assosiated with the asshole. (if you know what I mean)
Although it was pronounced 'Callin'
Well thats all for now.

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
heheee - father's really seem clueless with names sometimes! My father wanted to call me Morag - he was stuck on the whole celt folk scottish thing... Fortunately my mother won that battle, however I have been blessed with the scottish folk name of Kirsteen as my middle name However, the obsession seems to have been passed to me too - I would love to call my daughter Morgana. I imagine that she would be strong, intelligent and powerful.

Re: jewish tradition of funny names in utero - my mother used to call me Jemima - after Jemima Puddleduck (Beatrix Potter books)!!

I also love the name Star - ever since I first saw The Lost Boys about 15 years ago I have loved that name.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Flash Fire, are you Jewish?

Kirsteen is a beautiful name!

-Mike

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
nope, not Jewish. Although Sarah is Hebrew for Princess, yes?

My full name: Sarah Kirsteen McTaggart.

the only time I will say this online.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
My birth name is *are you ready for this*
Roman Jozef Anjae Zaremba.

I used to REALLY hate it when i was a kid and used to swear blind that i would get it changed as soon as i was old enough.
But as i have gotten older, i appreciate it and even love it, it's a link to who i am and all the family who have gone before me. It's means alot to me. A link to all my polish family i never knew
But at the end of the day, it is only a name. Your name doesn't 'craft' you into the person you are today, it's the people who are around you and the people you meet who do that.
Pele, do what your heart tells you, it's you who has to live with the name, no one elce.
But do it for the right reasons, i really don't want to speak out of place here, but are you changing your name to try and change an aspect of your life, or is it that you are just plain bored with the name you have now???
A name is only the begining of a person, not the end.
LOL
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.

"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
My real name is Joy. My mum also won the battle in naming me, he was going to call me Linton. eeewwww.

Joy has its obvious meanings, joyous creature and the like.

I despise it for the same reasons as I like it which is everyone likes to comment. One way or another. Especially at this time of year.

I call myself Shante online, and to people whom I meet from online. That is pronounced Shun-tay not Shanty or anyother mispronunciation, my online names, change with me as a person. I am inclined to agree with the (american-indian) tradition of naming a child until it is old enough to name itself. Seems Normal.

Thats me,

Shante

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
Good topic Pele/Starlynne/???

I think you should go with whatever you feel about your name. Maybe you could just be a picture like 'Artist Formerly Known as Pele..'

My real name is Eva and I used to not really like it but I think I've grown into it.

And it means Bringer Of Life which is pretty cool

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
My real name is Vernon Wayne Skach ... It has its ups and downs I guess.

I was named after my grandfather, and Vernon means "springlike" in Latin. I got the middle name from my dad'd middle name, and my last name in Czech means "to bounce."

I enjoy how when someone yells "hey Vern!" I always know who they're referring to, but it's like... I coulda gotten a cooler non-conventional name (like Dionysus! ).

The worst downside to my name is when I run into anyone who's seen an Ernest movie. He always talks to some guy off-camera named Vern and the phrase "know what I mean, Vern?" became something of a catchphrase in the 80's. On an interesting side note, I actually met Jim Varney (Ernest) and he was an incredibly nice, down to earth guy. He died of lung cancer a few years ago and I was saddened to see the loss of a talented entertainer who was also a good citizen.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Prizes for guessing my middle name.. they only thing I will say is that you may need one of these when fishing...

,.... and no it's not Arod or Abiat... or Ahook..

I was named after my uncle who died of lung cancer a few months before I was born.. From what I've heard Uncle Nick was a pretty funky dude in the 70's (smoked too much tho).. I prefur Nik or Niki but only my mom calls me Nicola (urggghhh!) when I'm in trouble..

the rest of my family usually call me by my aunts names or family pets.. at dinnerat my grandmothers n the UK it goes.. Susi (Auntie), err Judy (Auntie), Maxine (sister) Hoover (pet dog from years ago) err.. Snuffy (Grans dead cat) then she gets around to my name..Families huh? So indeed what is in a name? My family can't get mine right.. but I know who I am - so it doesn't really bother me..

Fluff n stuff
Niki

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
Amaggot? err...
Ahempseed? no, hang on...
Athermosflask? um..don't tell me, i've almost got it...
Anumbrellaforwhenitstartsraining?

i knew i should've taken up fishing

wherever you go, there you are.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
@ Lazy Rider
D'oh!! no...

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Well i like my name. It's an old German word meaning "Nobility"! of all things!

If i was a boy my mum and dad were going to call me Graham...no offence to all Grahams but i dont like that name. Luckily i was born a girl!

MY mum wanted to call me Rose, my dad wanted to call me Alice. My Dad one, so my name become "Alice Rose"

Pele - i think you should call yourself what you want! Name's aren't the person, just a name! I mean look at cups, all different sizes and styles, just all called the same thing!

Alice

Just like to add that i do get called "alice in wonderland" a lot, and sung "who the F*** is alice" a lot. But i've had them ever since i can remember so i get used to it.

[ 12. December 2002, 07:05: Message edited by: Pink Poi ]

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
So Pink Where you born on July 11? You like the colour pink so much and your middle name is Rose. I just was wonderiing?

Misstix Is it areel, asinker, aloure?

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Real name is Mike. I don't like it overly since it is so common. I chose Bram because it's gaelic for raven, and ravens have been depicted as tricksters etc, and I love pulling pranks etc. so it fits

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Page: