117 posts

Posted:
How do you do an isolation?

and before you say anything I have searched for it. smile

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
It took me forever to learn (thanks G and everyone else who helped me!). The things that finally clicked it into place for me was (when doing a buzzsaw), gradually letting the circle your hands make get bigger (ie they start out at the centre, like an axle, and move out so they become more like the rim of the wheel), and to imagine that the heads of the poi are weightless so they fall forward differently. I hope this helps - sorry it's not very clear. Good luck!

to live at all is miracle enough

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
[Old link], and if you post in it asking for more advice then you might get some new replies that don't mention searching.

but miranda's advice is really good anyway. i'd add:
practice with one poi to start with, and longer/heavier/stretchier poi make isolating easier (although some purists think stretchy poi is cheating)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
It's when your hands & the poi heads are the outside of the circle, and the middle of the string is the middle. Easier with lighter poi I think, I've been trying to learn it with beanbag heads on string & it's a bugger to get right.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
geffon - i reckon youll find it easier with heavier poi as simian says, and its one of those things that will just keep on getting better the more you spin.. as you say they are a bugger to get right, sometimes (ususally when you least expect it) they do happen right though and thats allways encouraging smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Isolation......when you chose a diffrent point other than your hands as the center of rotation for the poi smile

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I like to think of those ducks people use as lawn ornaments that spin in the wind. The wing is like your poi, your hand is on one end and the poi head is on the other and it rotates in the middle.

Or you could just listen to Lavatwilight. ^_^

I found them the easiest with sock poi, the socks they have on this site work well.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: JayKitty

I like to think of those ducks people use as lawn ornaments that spin in the wind. The wing is like your poi, your hand is on one end and the poi head is on the other and it rotates in the middle.

Or you could just listen to Lavatwilight. ^_^

I found them the easiest with sock poi, the socks they have on this site work well.

wow. i can't isolate inside for crap with those. what do you have in them, and would you say they were easier when you first bought them or after they're "broken in"? at the length they fit well between my arms, they're not stretchy enough. a little longer, and i can isolate all day but can't do buzzsaws. hmm. maybe heavier weights are needed. ubbidea

but yeah, play with different lengths and weights to find what isolates the best for you. once you get it down with one hand, in wall plane, with a longer-chained poi, it's a lot easier to think about why it's so hard to physically do. i had a diagram somewhere of when to push and pull against gravity that will likely only confuse you until you have it working right anyways. frown good luck!

-- dut

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Funny flash Izolation .

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
A bit of poi iso's

https://www.motsplace.com/storage/poi.practicejan06.wmv

Right click, save as biggrin

I'd say fo practicing iso's, long heavey poi with a bit of bounce, and close your eyes. Feel the poi, as cheesey as that sounds.
EDITED_BY: Mot (1137615906)

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

JohnVentureBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Did you get that line from Obi wan kenobi ? biggrin

But yeah, your vid just convinced the padawan I am to keep trying, they sure can lead to nice things to do.

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Yeah I know, super cheese. Maybe as more practical advice grab your self a hula hoop or a stick about 50cm long and make a kind of buzzsaw movement with it. Nice and slowly, now your hands are making perfect isolation circles, just without the poi. Do it nice and slowly, like 30 seconds for a revolution and try to find the muscles you need for the movement your making. Speed it up alittle, add poi and bob's your uncle.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.