Page: ...
colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
well, they've done it.

rgb (i.e can produce any colour you care to imagine), *fully* programmable (via usb pc link) aerotech equipment has arrived at last biggrin

anyone who saw the london juggling convention show (or was at the ejc earlier this year) will have been lucky enough to see owen and malte performing their classic 'spot the drop' routine with routine-programmed aerotech ultimate clubs ubblove

they already have plans for staff and poi with the same *individually controlled led technology* so that you have full control of programming the colour in each section of your toy.

here's the blurb from the aerotech website:

Written by: aerotech

Sequence 16 Million Colours with the new GLO-ULTIMATE equipment.

After three years of development and 100 times over budget, we bring you the ultimate in illuminated juggling equipment.

Our standard product range is designed for on the fly programming, so with a set sequence of taps it is possible to configure a product to change colour and flash between 2 Colours.

In our new ultimate range programming has been replaced with a reprogrammable RGB (The primary colours Red, Green, Blue) light sequencing program.

Each colour of the RGB is independently programmed to run a sequence of timed events to change intensity (brightness) levels. By altering the intensity levels of the RGB it is possible to select a colour from a palette of 16 Million different colours. Time increments are controllable down to 0.1 second meaning that it is possible to create a dazzling light show which can then be synchronized with other products.

A sequence is created using a simple line of code written within a standard text editor (Note book, Word etc). The file is then downloaded to the equipment using a standard USB 2.0 connection.

By using full powered USB hubs the glo-equipment fast charges from empty to 80% charged in 2 hours.

and links here:

main news page

details of the sequencing language

example of some sequence code

a little techy information on the software used

i don't wanna know how much i have to save up for a set of clubs - if i start working on a 5 club routine now, by the time i can juggle it, i should have enough money saved to buy the clubs... wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I would be very suprised if you needed a laptop to turn them on. More likely, they'll have a switch or the tapping mechanism the other techs have... £300 seems massively overpriced to me though!

Cake or Death?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Dont forget that anyone that bought techs in the last year (ie still under waranty) can upgrade to ultimates for a sizable discount... and you get to keep your own toys... though once you upgrade your old ones will not be supported anymore... so once they are dead they are dead...

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Yeh

bit of a wierd deal if you ask me Ado.

the upgrade means if you own a tech staff and can prove to them its yours, you get a discount on the new ultimate staffs. (not sure on how much yet)

Your right though - it means if you use your discount to get an ultimate staff, the warrently on you old one becomes invalid.

You can maintain warenty by paying top wack smile

Guess we will just have to wait to see how much discount an upgrade offers smile

While im here - does anyone own a tech staff with (clear ends that are hard plastic, rather than the rubber white ones they do?)

Ive seen some on a set of meteors and want some for my staff but Bev doesnt seem to think they do them???

confused

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I was at Firedrums in California this weekend, and someone had RGB programmable poi with radio censors... you could could control them from a remote, and they stayed in perfect unison. You could even control multiple sets of poi with one controller. They also had a dress with the same mechanism that lit up smile

It was far from elegant, but a first attempt and sounds very similar to what Aerotech is doing... fun stuff.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Wow..having now seen the clubs in action at the BJC, I really want a set

biggrin

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you lucky bjc goers got to see owen and howie performing 'spot the drop'

bounce <-- he's green cos i'm a little envious

i'm waiting till i can juggle five clubs before i even think about getting my mortgage for a set of ultimate clubs.

maybe by then someone will have written a gui too smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MillenniuM

I was at Firedrums in California this weekend, and someone had RGB programmable poi with radio censors... you could could control them from a remote, and they stayed in perfect unison. You could even control multiple sets of poi with one controller. They also had a dress with the same mechanism that lit up smile

It was far from elegant, but a first attempt and sounds very similar to what Aerotech is doing... fun stuff.

Sounds like the peep(z) who made those props are even further than Hyperlight, Polarity, some others and me... The [censored]!! Radio controlled and perfectly synced is tha shizz

smile

"Don’t know how long, this one’s gonna take;
I could fail, but I’d rather be a fuckup, than a fake"

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
What's the stort with the globall website. Is it buggered for anyone else?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nope...?

https://www.globall.com/

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
'ang on, are they really selling clubs at £250 each?!!!

For the record, adding radio controls ain't all that tough wink

Cake or Death?

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
i talked lots to aerotech at the BJC

They have lots planned for the ultimates and the code being used is open source - so lots of room for improvement by folks like polarity and hyperlight smile

The clubs look wicked and the timing and colours really do enhance / make the performance smile

At the moment the clubs are done - staffs however they are still looking as possible designs - i mean they were asking me for ideas to how they should be done - so im guessing from that they are still very much still on the drawing board.

There was talk however that...... the ultimates are on one bank of bulbs - ie - if one changes the rest change - so you never get a "multi" coloured toy.

However they are now looking at having 2 banks of bulbs next to eachother which will offer you everything you can imagine......

my advice on speaking to thier designer

Wait for a bit - it could be worth it.

The balls are done and ready and will be being sold for about 100 each smile

The programming software looks sweet to - really easy to update and control........ they had like 15 usb wires going into a hub of one laptop - it looked sooooo pretty ubblove

Yay for aerotech ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Sounds promising. I'm looking forward to seeing what the programming bit is like. There's a reasonable chance we could develop a program that'll write sequences for HyperLights, Aerotechs, PolarLights, Arc Lights etc. etc. ...which would be nice smile

Really wish I could've gone to the BJC convention to see the Aerotech stand frown

Cake or Death?

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
This is slightly off topic -- but I'm curious if anyone has tried doing contact with the balls? Do they work well for that?

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

milkajourneyman
89 posts

Posted:
Palm spinning is okay with glo/proballs and the effect is definitely dazzling tongue ! You can do plenty of things that look great with 3/4 balls (maybe more if you're a good juggler, I found they grip too much for 3 in one hand).

Globalls Ultimate may be cool but £100 is twice as much as a proball and nothing is said about the battery (proballs do not glow as much as globalls and they "only" glow for two hours in white).

I hope something will be done regarding what you say about multi colours Strugz, it would be a pity not having the possiblity to configure that. Thanks for the news smile
EDITED_BY: milka (1146223242)

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
The question is... Is it worth it? I'm new to LED poi... And I'd like to know just how good Aerotech stuff really is... How many recommend a buy... Given I have the money allright ??

"OH and when will these be comin around??"
EDITED_BY: Mireneye (1146755168)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
IMHO:

The poi are not far away i dont think could be a month - could be a week - (ask aerotech)

As for are they worth it, its all relative if you ask me - but feck YEAH smile

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Given that there are no real alternatives right now, I'd say they were... I reckon you could make something similar / better for less, but I have a somewhat biased opinion wink

Cake or Death?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mireneye

And I'd like to know just how good Aerotech stuff really is... How many recommend a buy...

Given I have the money allright ??

well, that neatly sidesteps the fact that their stuff is pretty expensive.

but they are simply the best manufacturers of glo juggling equipment on the market.

their equipment undergoes *lots* of testing and even though you will hear many complaints about broken/malfunctioning toys, they are still worth it sincfe their servicing department and warranty honouring record are both top notch.

the weight of the props are on the heavy side (this goes for all aerotech props i think) but construction, operation and overall quality are all of the highest level.

i love aerotech.

i also hate them for making me spend so much money.

but i love the toys they make so i can't complain smile

i would recommend the globalls to anyone who plays poi and especially if you juggle too - the normal globalls are super cheap right now and they make great poi (see here and here and here for some examples).

i bought and used aerotech balls as poi way before i learnt to juggle - they are still my favourite set of poi.

so, in case you weren't sure, that's one recommendation right here smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
So these ones don't change colour then?
Can someone please post a direct link to the page they're on as my browser doesn't like their menu at all... smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
https://www.globall.com/?articleID=5916&heading=Juggling%20Equipment

£30 a ball, regardless of colour.

that's still £60 for a set of poi but they're worth it smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
....one day ill be as informative as the mighty Coleman

then again ubblol

hug

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Cool thanks cole. smile
Any colour recommendations?

Any chance someone could post alink to the colour changy ones....

Sorry, last one. I won't turn this into a globall linky thread!

milkajourneyman
89 posts

Posted:
A few pictures of globalls and proballs used as poi here. Quite heavy, but soooooo beautiful smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
colour recommendations?

i personally have 3 white balls - soon to be 5 ubblove and i also have yellow and blue proballs.

so i obviously like those colours but all of the aerotech colours are great - just go for your favourite smile

something to bear in mind is that the more towards the blue end of the spectrum you go, the less well they will show up on most digital cameras...

strugz ubblol easy mate

first step: get a job that bores you enough to make typing out reasons you like aerotech a more mentally stimulating activity than the job itself.

cole. x

pro balls:

https://www.globall.com/?articleID=5918&heading=Juggling%20Equipment

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

milkajourneyman
89 posts

Posted:
If you plan to buy proballs, hurry up, it seems Aerotech is selling the last ones and some colors are out of stock now : a friend of mine wanted Orange/white proball and he's been noticed that this combo was no longer available.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
You said... weight is on the heavy side... Which is a shame I think. It's alot easier to move around with lighter poi. How much heavier are they to the more standard Fire poi with arm length chains and a "cylindrical shape" wick ?

In terms of... Alot heavier... Similar, or what ever else you can come up with.

I can say for sure... I use my Fire Poi for practicing... So I don't really want something much heavier to show off with. But I really love to be able to program my poi... Since I'm in last year in school before university, working with programming in school (C++). I bet I can figure out the Assumbly pretty well. Iv'e fiddled with it a little before.

I've seen some other light changing poi. However, those are not programmable... Costs alot less tho.. Around 50USD for a pair IIRC... I just think that would be wasting the money on something I can "save" to buy Aerotech instead.

The problem with support I think would be that I live in sweden and the delivery times would probably be longer... Not that it's a huge problem really.

Cheers

milkajourneyman
89 posts

Posted:
 Written by: milka

If you plan to buy proballs, hurry up, it seems Aerotech is selling the last ones and some colors are out of stock now : a friend of mine wanted Orange/white proball and he's been noticed that this combo was no longer available.

Another friend of mine has ordered globalls and he's just received a mail saying that red ones were no longer available. Globalls ultimate are coming soon ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: milka (1147353283)

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
i got a ridiculous overdraft out to buy three aerotech staffs,they are much heavier than my titanium staffs, but are very well balancedd,doing three is hard but looks awesome.very expensive though,i will use them only for paid work and the odd time for fun.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
how do i get threads onto my favourite thread section on my homepage?
anyideas
ta tim

Owen_Reynoldsnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hey all,

Freehand Juggling's video is up on their site www.freehandjuggling.co.uk - showing off the new ultimates at the BJC 2006. This video is a preview courtesy of the convention DVD which will be out shortly!

(direct link: https://www.freehandjuggling.co.uk/videos/freehand-juggling-bjc06.wmv
)

Enjoy!

Owen

Page: ...