Forums > Social Chat > Halloween, and spinning in corsets

Login/Join to Participate

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
I just bought myself an absolutly gorgeous new corset, specifically for my halloween costume this year. My question to those of you who ever wear corsets (And yes, I'm even talking about the guys), is how encumbering are they, and how difficult is it to spin in them?

Thanks ubbloveand hug

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
well i dont think they r too bad although ive never tried to spin in one.... i actually feel at my best when I'm wearing a proper corset

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
okay,spinning in a corset isn't too bad as long as its properly broken in and your spinning sets aren't too long.

you've said you've only just bought it,in which case if its a proper corset,you'll need to wearit in quite a bit before you spin in it.it also depends on how long you're planning on wearing it for.

if its likely to be a couple of hours or more,start wearing it around the house etc. now.
as the more your body is used to it,the more it'll become like a second skin rather than the thing thats constricting your breathing making you want to pass out!

as for difficulty of spinning,as long as you have one that fits you properly and is broken in properly,they're fine to spin in!

good luck!xxxx

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I've never worn a corset.

I've been told I'm missing out...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
hmmm i've never even slightly wanted to wear one before but i am now getting a weird urge to wear one and i don't know if i really want to

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Only problem i can really think of is that if it's heavily boned, you won't have as much flexibility as normal.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Written by: MiG

Only problem i can really think of is that if it's heavily boned, you won't have as much flexibility as normal.

hence why it needs to be broken in properly....body heat combined with the natural stretching you will get from day to day wear will be enough to softenthe bones to a mor flexible but still supportive level. biggrin

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
psst - mig can't read wink

Meh

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Gah spinning in corsets is..almost impossible!
Especially spinning fast and dancing at the same time. Waaay tooo hard to breathe!

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i'v spun in brand new corsets & old ones, never had a problem really, maybe have a practice before hand if you're worried, buit i reackon you'll be fine smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
Ok, this is not a proper corset, as in something to go on under a dress, that turns me from a size 18 to a size 12. This was bought at Hot Topic, and is worn over the clothing.

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
mig cant read? umm

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Written by: maus

okay,spinning in a corset isn't too bad as long as its properly broken in and your spinning sets aren't too long.

as for difficulty of spinning,as long as you have one that fits you properly and is broken in properly,they're fine to spin in!

biggrin

if its not a proper one you should be fine,but its definately worth having a few practices with it anyway!xx

DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
Right, I need to borrow this thread for a top-secret mission
(Also didn't want to get in trouble for starting a new corset-oriented thread).

I am getting married in July
bounce2
It is part one of two weddings, as I also get to do it all again in Thailand in December next year (As my folks can't come to the first one).
So, I don't want to wear white to both. And the first one is supposed to be quite laid back (party on the beach, basically). But I do want to make an effort with the clothes.

I like green at the moment. And my bloke loves corsets. I am thinking - green corset! (See how I put that together!!) A kind of darkish green I think. But to keep it casual, and allow for beach partying and spinning, I thought maybe some wide-legged trousers instead of a skirt. Although I don't know about what colour (the same green? Too much green!?)

I need help! Would trousers work with the corset top, do you think?! Is green a bad choice of colour? (I have red hair - dyed. btw). I have no idea about clothes.

My other (main) question is - does anyone recommend somewhere for me to get the corset made, as I want a proper one. And I know it'll cost a fortune - any idea how much?

Generally thoughts and suggestions are really welcome! Help!
help

Thanks!
hug

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Good corsets can run you from $300 on up into the thousands. An internet search should tell you of someone in your area who could make it.

Green is lovely. Gradients of green...for example, a nice emerald corset, a softer tone for wide legged pants and maybe a nice egg white for a blouse under the corset. Something aong those lines would be stunning.

Oh, and I spin in corsets, cinchers, bodices and the like often...just don't lace it tightly.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
Thanks Pele.
I like the idea of a softer green for the trousers is nice.

Any UK folks know of anyone they'd recommend for corsets here?
Thanks! smile

Boo x

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
These corsetieres are good, I've owned both a vollers and an axfords corset and been very pleased with both. They have a number of different designs, and do them in a range of fabrics. Prices range from about £100 upwards depending on style and fabric.

Axfords

Corset angel (stock a range of corsets from different suppliers)

Vollers

Hope these help, if I have time, I'll try and dig out some custom suppliers addresses too.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
this beautiful lady is wearing a corset (another picture here) made (obviously as a costume) by the lovely miss perdy: www.perdy.net

the corsets are not 'boned' so i'm not sure if they are what you are looking for, but if you are happy with a non-boned corset, perdy is a great seamstress and i'm sure wouyld be happy to discuss designs with you smile

good luck (and congratulations on the marriage biggrin ).

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
Thanks Guys!

I think I'm going to splash out and get a proper boned corset, as the heavens did not bless me with much in the way of a natural waist.
I'm having trouble finding a green corset at the moment. And have only found one on the links you gave me KatP. So the search continues!

Anyone in the South West area got any ideas for dressmakers who could help? (I'm expecting to have to get the trousers made too).

Cheers peeps. hug

Boo x

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
Corsetangel do custom work as well, so they might be able to help. Try mailing 'em!

Most standard dress-makers don't do corsets, they're rather technical. I'd offer to make one for you (made all my bridesmaids corsets and skirts for my wedding), but Cornwall's a bit far from edinburgh for fittings!

I'll look for some more stuff for you when I get home. Firewall not like corset pages, even respectable ones.

KITTENS!!!!

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
mmmm ladies, spinning and corsets... picture please tongue

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
I'll see what I can do! Need to lose some weight first - too fat for my lovely leather corset at the moment. frown Bloody all inclusive honeymoons and laziness and job.

KITTENS!!!!