MunkustrapBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
Fire breathing has been capturing my curiosity lately, and so like anyone should, I've started off just reading about it. I noticed though in a lot of the HoP articles about breathing and eating they say fire breathing is the most dangerous. I was curious as to why, I was talking with a veteran fire breather/eater and he says eating is more dangerous than breathing, and that he would never teach anyone to eat fire... His name was Jeff Colins, maybe some of you have seen/heard of him.

This isn't a really important thread, just seeing these contradictions sparked my interest. (Ah ha ha ha, bad pun.) Does anyone agree/disagree, or have an opinion on this? At this point, I'm all ears.

Please send food!

Red HotMember
25 posts

Posted:
There both dangerous. Doesnt really matter which is worse than the other. The long term effects are probably worse with breathin but I used to work in a club fire eatin and I had to stop coz it was killin my teath.
EDITED_BY: Red Hot (1129233174)

Fire breather turned spinner

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Presumably, as you're so interested in the subject, you asked Jeff why he considered fire-eating to be more dangerous than fire-breathing?

What did he say?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MunkustrapBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
Well, he didn't really tell me much about the breathing at the time, he said that there were somethings he wouldn't do. For example he praised himself on being able to produce and extremely huge fire ball. He did one for the International Buskers Festival finale, and he was facing me when he did it, I was far away but man the heat was, well, hot...

He didn't go into great detail comparing the two, but he said one breath in while heating, you're likely to drop dead. He did tell us stories of bad fire eating accidents. Remember, when he was telling me this, this was before all my research on fire breathing...

It's funny though, he said he's never been burnt by the fire when eating, only by the wick, which apparently gets just as hot.

And as I said, I'm posting this thread 'cause I was interested in what other people think, not to boast my knowledge, or lack their of. This is all hear-say! Have you guys done fire eating before?

Please send food!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I have actually done fire-eating before, many years ago. I don't do it these days as its basically a relatively easy skill that, to me, only seems of value in a performance context; whereas I spin because I like the skill acquisition aspects, and I spin pretty much for myself.

Also of course, with fire eating there are the health issues- even without a mishap you're basically putting a highly toxic substance (fuel) into your mouth.

I've never fire-breathed, and never will- i know too much about what can, and does, go wrong. I've read too many accounts of accidents on the net, and i've met too many people in real life who've come to grief with fire-breathing.

Like eating, I see fire-breathing as a relatively unskilled activity in comparison to the juggling and spinning I do.

In terms of which is most hazardous in eating and breathing, I'd go for breathing, by quite a long way.

Apparently fire eating wrecks your teeth, and I guess that if you breathed in while doing it you'd get badly hurt.

But personally, i've not heard of any serious injuries from eating, whereas I've heard of lots from breathing.

Also, accidents aside, i'm sure that a lot more toxic fuel ends up in the body of a fire breathing than it does in an eater- so you've got the long term problems of lung ailments and cancer.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Munkustrap

He didn't go into great detail comparing the two, but he said one breath in while heating, you're likely to drop dead.

And one breath while there's an eight-foot blazing fire ball in front of your face and your mouths half full of fuel wouldn't have a similar consequence?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

MunkustrapBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
Sorry man, I'm just bringing this up for discussion. It's not like I'm saying fire breathing's fun and dandy...without consequence. But you are blowing the fire ball out and away, while eating you're stuffing into your mouth. I'm asking 'cause I want more info, not to create debate! Sheesh!

Please send food!

Red HotMember
25 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Red Hot

Fire breather turned spinner

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

On my risk assessment forms for performing / teaching of fire arts, fire eating / breathing are both classified as very high risk, for different reasons, mainly performer health and safety with eating and breathing, and performer health & audience safety more with breathing. Hope that makes sense.

A lot of the resources / materials I make use of are peer reviewed articles from this site and others, and thus can be found without too much difficulty and therefore I won't reproduce them here. As well as direct input from other professional performers.

In terms of actual hazards to performer, it's not quite so simple to directly compare, since both 'skills' have similar and different specific performer risks associated, and long term health consequences, I would say do your own research, and be very critical of everything you read.

In aggreement with onewheedave on this though, based on extensive literature reviews, there seems to be more health consequences and accidents associated with fire breathing.

mark

eating - breathing

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Munkustrap

Sorry man, I'm just bringing this up for discussion. It's not like I'm saying fire breathing's fun and dandy...without consequence. But you are blowing the fire ball out and away, while eating you're stuffing into your mouth. I'm asking 'cause I want more info, not to create debate! Sheesh!

I'm not trying to create debate- I'm just pointing out that your friend is claiming that, contrary to opinion here, fire-breathing is safer than fire-eating. The one ground mentioned in suppport of that view is that one mistake with fire eating can result in death.

Now that may be good grounds for not fire-eating, but it's certainly not ground for supporting the view that fire eating is safer than fire breathing, because, with fire breathing there's also a lot of ways in which making one mistake will result in death.

If, as you claim, you're not wanting to create debate, then I'd suggest you don't start threads involving the one issue that is almost guaranteed to kick start debate (fire-breathing); most especially do not post something which suggests that fire-breathing is less dangerous than another activity; and don't title said thread as 'X vs. Y'.

(I'm serious about that last one- sticking 'vs.' in the title creates in many peoples minds an expectation of debate and battle- if you want to simply discuss a controversial issue, you can cut out the competitive stuff simply by going to lengths to word the thread/title in a dimplomatic way.

A diplomat creating an unbiased, objective report on the situation in Iraq would not title that report 'Bush vs. Iraq' smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

MunkustrapBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
FOR SOME REASON< I CAN"T GET MY SHIFT KEY TO TURN OFF< PLEASE EXCUSE THE CAPS AND WEIRD GRAMMER>>>

DAVE< I HOPE TO SAY THIS IN AN ENLIGHTENING YET NON_OFFENSICE WAY< YOU"RE IMPOSSIBLE!

P>S> IF SOMEONE KNOWS HOW TO SOLVE MY PROBLEM< PLEASE TELL ME HOW< FILTER KEYS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS RIGHT?

Please send food!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
They might do, press and hold shift for 10-15 seconds and see if turns itself off. Dave's not impossible, he just does what he thinks is right to make this place more pleasant for everyone. He's entitled to his opinions of fire breathing/eating. I think anyone who breathes and doesn't expect people to be fairly wary of discussions which portray it in a way which seems to suggest it's not as dangerous as it obviously is, are being farily naive. At the same time I understand that you're just looking for clarification - but both are extremely dangerous if not done properly.

*breathes*

(pardon the pun wink )

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I stopped eating fire because my teeth are bad enough without it. I still breathe fire but I consider it to be much more dangerous. I just want to keep my teeth around as long as possible.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Cheers nearly_all_gone smile

Munkustrap- what's with the 'impossible' stuff?

You posted a question- 'is fire eating more dangerous than eating' .

The HOP FAQ which preceeds reading Peles article on fire breathing clearly states

Written by: HOP article

Fire breathing is THE MOST DANGEROUS OF THE FIRE ARTS .

url here-

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/FireBreathing.php

Fire eating is a fire art, so, according to HOP, the answer to your question is that no, fire eating is not more dangerous than breathing.

I asked you for your friends reasoning as to why fire eating may be more dangerous, and, having read what you said, IMO, his reasoning was not valid.

You, for whatever reason, seemed to get a little annoyed by this- I don't know why.

My opinion, and the opinion of most fire people I know is that fire breathing is considerably more dangerous than fire eating.

You asked a question, and I gave you an answer.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

MunkustrapBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
My friend. **laughs** Acquantaince, please, as I said this is hear-say, and he does have a couple decades of experience... I'm on his site now, though it kind of sucks, he needs a web designer. Stop criticizing me here. And by impossible, I was just trying to have a little conversation, to possibly educate myself, bring up the points I remember and not get penalized for them. You know!

Check it out:

https://www.jeffcollins.net/

Please send food!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
You've not been penalised, and I've not critisised you.

If it's conversation you want, you're dealing with the wrong person- I'm in this thread purely to help establish the truth about the issue you posted (the relative dangers of fire breathing and fire eating); personally, I tend to restrict conversation to people who possess a modicum of respect, a few manners and some capacity for basic reason.

smile

We do have a 'social chat' forum here- there's lots of conversation going on there and I'm sure you'll be made most welcome.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

MunkustrapBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
I'm too drunk right now. Ok, lets both of us stand on different feet and find each other newly in a different thread? Cool?

Please send food!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Why not just say they're both bloody dangerous, and you shouldn't really do either?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: MiG

Why not just say they're both bloody dangerous, and you shouldn't really do either?

There ya go!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

MunkustrapBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
Cheers!

Please send food!

razzaSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
iam just wondering wats the difference between fire eating and fire breathing ???

Horsepower is how fast u hit a tree. Tourqe is how far the tree goes with u

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Fire breathing is aspirated fuel through a flame.
Fire eating is, at it's base, a lit torch held in the mouth.

Breathing is more dangerous.

And you don't die from one inhalation on fire eating. That is an extreme fallacy. In fact, there are many fire eating stunts that involve slight inhalations. I've known fire eaters who have been doing it 50+ years. They are missing their teeth and their sense of taste but they are not dead.

The same can not be said for all fire breathers I have known.

One of the major things I learned from them is that just because they are pros for years doesn't mean they have done their research and know all the dangers...especially as information is updated over time.

However, the more you post the more it seems like an ad for your "friend" rather than a serious discussion.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

francis_angelo_nolascoBRONZE Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
fire breathing is cool than fire eating..

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I dunno about that really... there seems to be a lot more that one can do with fire eating than fire breathing... fire breathing is a bit like "woaaah! Thats a big flame!"

Anything else? "Nah, sorry.. thats about it"

Whereas eating can have a few different maneuvers, especially in the way its presented, tracing and whatever else.

hug

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: francis_angelo_nolascofire breathing is cool than fire eating..

*HISS!!!* Extreme fallacy has been spoken here!!! Fire Eating is SOOOO much better than fire breathing. Gah! Like said above theres only one thing you can do! WOOSH! And its done. You can do something similar with fire eating but You can make it look like a tongue coming out of your mouth or a cloud of fire floating out. Not just BAM... okay thats it. ALSO can you be sexy or mesmerizing with fire breathing? I think NOT! I've seen people see fire breathers and be like "O thats neat" and walk on. Wen people watch fire eaters there tends to be a crowd of eek as they watch you do an array of amazing/sexy/mezmerizing things with the fire. Psh, fire breathing not as good as fire eating *Walks away muttering under breath*

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

Elmosouthstranger
3 posts

Posted:
"Which is best" is just like the Marmite/Vegemite/Nutella question - a matter of personal taste.
Which is most dangerous? Lets face it, your doctor would be highly unlikely to encourage you to do either, but at the end of the day its down to you, your preparation and safety precautions.

The most important thing I learned form the guy who taught me was: If in doubt DON'T DO IT.