Cute Little Burning BallBRONZE Member
101 posts

Posted:
Im think if buying a new staff or making one myself, if i decide for the second option i was woundering wich kind of wood should i use or if its recomendable no wood at all, because i have a friend that made a staff (with wooden core) and at the first burn the wood burnt and wicks went loose, so would apriciate any tip for the making...

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. - Calvin 'Calvin & Hobbes'

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I have a wooden staff but metal tipped ends to stop the wood burning

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

101 posts

Posted:
U mean that ur whole stab is made of wood except the ends or that the stab (alu.) is a bit longer than the wooden inner core to prevent it from burning?

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. - Calvin 'Calvin & Hobbes'

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
My staff is full length alu tube with a dowel inner core slightly (about 10mm) shorter either end. I haven't burnt with it yet but I don't foresee any problems as the wood is set back inside the tube.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
You could always put a thread on the holes through the staff and screw the bolts into that. I make my fire poi that way..

Cake or Death?

101 posts

Posted:
that sounds like a very good idea ill try it out.

thanx

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
My stick is 1.55m chrome tube (10mm) with solid wooden dowelling core. and 8 inch wicks.
as long as you protect the ends with a metal washer or fire proof resin you'll have no probs. be careful attaching wicks using washers, that the washers don't stick out...as they can REALLY hurt.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
I've been making FireStaffs for a while and I have found that the cheapest method is to get a piece of wooden dowling (broom handels work quite well) and have the ends covered with allu tubing so that there is 3" sticking out below the wick. Before you put the Allu tubes on wrap the ends of the dowling with tinfoil. I put two layers on to be safe, but it does work with just one. Take your time pushing the ends into the Allu tubes so you don't rip the foil. The foil will stop the ends of the dowling from burning.
And the wood dowling gives you something to screw into when attaching your wick.

To play it safe is not to play

Nellen03stranger
11 posts

Posted:
Today i have to ask something which is that i want to know more about wood dowels if anyone know here than contact here back i will appreciate him on this sharing....