Page:
linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
id like to say that this **is** a reaction to various posts on social chat, and would like to voice my opinion here in as an adult manner as i can manage

firstly i fail (slightly) to see many of the arguments against post whoring - the bandwidth argument especailly correct me if im wrong but ultimatly the bandwidth for the actual forums will not be exessivly affected by the addition of a post - even several 1000 posts - i mean whats the size of a post? a matter of Kb if that even 1000 of those is only 10Mb and while i know there are several hundred thousand posts that still does not even begin to touch the kind of bandwidth a site like this runs on.

on a similar vein arguing that pm's should be used will not save bandwidth - the messages are still stored though pm's should be used for other reasons - such as basically personal conversations

i agree that repeated posting is a waste of space and makes many threads unreadable - although i am guilty of doing this on occasion - so does having ream upon ream of people exactly the same thing

its often said that post whores take up a lot of the bandwidth space *but* as far as i can see at least they tend to say something new. so many otherwise interesting discussions and topics get flooded by people repeating the same points.

and i release im probably going to get accused of flamming for this. accused of being an idiot but seriously - how much damage does a silly thread do? ok threads started for the hell of having a thread are a waste, so tell a mod and have it deleted. but dont just yell at people who post a lot. try making a thread and then keep people on topic - its not just the mods who can moderate a forum - if you have one keep the conversation going and change the direction

but if you have a forum called social chat - dont you think people will?

ok so thats the end of this and i know it sounds like a rant so please take whats said with a pinch of salt and not as a personal insult

also any PM's asking for this to me removed etc (or just general insults) please head - post whore - so i know and for my own amusment

finally where do you fall?

back

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I always thought more mods could be an idea...but I've never had the guts to suggest it. redface

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Pele - I'm only a year old HoPper, and as such i dont know the history, and I sahll surely berate Cantus when next I see the be-dreaded nonsense speaker... biggrin

I havent really postwhored at all, but thats only because, in type, i like my views to be clear (even if theyre not) and honest. Anyone who has met me IRL will tell you that I just spout crap all the time, cos I hate silence!

Thanks to all the "guilty" parties that have owned up and demonstrated responsibility and care. I have met a few of these crazy people, and I can attest that they are very generous with alcohol and beverages.
Ayethankyew.

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
*wonders who flash point is on about i cant think of many responsible people out there care maybe but not responsibility*

roar i think the problem with more mods is choosing them and keeping it clear what rules to follow etc (ive been in chatrooms with lots (ie 10) of mods and its havoc as they all interpret the rules in differnt ways

personally i think we should just all use the notify button more if we feel a post or a thread is just getting pointless or already exsists - i would be about to rush off and find some of these but instead im going to sleep as im knackered

back

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
To me, it seems that, while the number of community members has increased drastically since I joined, the sense of a common bond is still there.

That being said, (and this is by no means flaming the newer members), but honestly, does no one read the guides over the fora? I just popped into SC before posting in this thread, and one thread almost entirely consisted of a conversation by one person. I was glad that other members took the time to point out that the thread was in the wrong place, but honestly, it is for the newer users to be responsible, and go by the rules that kept HoP in such lovely shape. I don't mind giving advice to those whom ask, but.....(lost train of thought). I recall there was a discussion a while back about merely telling people to "do a durbs", rather than explain something every time someone asks.

I remember when I first joined the bb, I was completely awestruck by the high post counts of older members, and although I initially set about getting there, I do regret it somewhat.

All that being said, I find that some threads I won't even think about simply because of the sheer swampedness (is that even a word?) of the SC. Most times when I'll turn on MiRC or the IRC window on HoP, no one will be there, and that saddens me that people aren't taking advantage of that great feature.

(sorry if that's incoherent, but I just spent 8 hours working outside in 100+ heat)

EDIT: I just realized that I've been referring to newer members, and myself as an older one, even though I myself have only spun for 1.5 years; I'm still amazed at the growth this site has taken, nearly 4 times as many members...wow...
EDITED_BY: fNi (1123977074)

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hey, a bit late but I totally agree to the above. I never go in social chat anymore because its moer like a chore twraling through all the threads. Glad people have spoken up about this.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
There are far too many game threads, the thing i mostly have a problem with is the 'post whores' repeatedly post in the game threads so therefore when i go into Social Chat all the interesting and funny stuff which i originally loved about social chat is pushed to page 2 or 3, i wish people would just give the game threads a rest and only do them if they r bored or something rather than doing them for the sake of it which is blatantly obvious that they do that for that reason since what is written is total crap most of the time

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
ditto

Well said Willy. hug

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
A couple of the games are funny, for a while. But I'm not sure "What the other person has got in their pockets" really deserves to exist for more than a week. I've posted in some silly threads, and it's fun. However, I am also tired of scrolling through the same 8 or so threads that keep repeating to find new/interesting posts. The "Games" seem to take up half the space on the front page, and makes me wonder if maybe they should have a sub-catagory to themselves. Maybe this would reduce the numbers of people posting in them, and lessen the fluff to sift through in the Social Chat section.

I don't want to be hypocritical, because I've enjoyed being online at 1am and being able to talk to someone on another continent (thanks JP Madam Snoopoi!). However I realise that a score of posts by only two people would probably be annoying to others, who have to scroll through it.

Maybe if people tried to limit themselves to 3 nonsense posts per day? Or something? Rather than wasting Mod's time enforcing rules, maybe we could just remember that we have a responsibility too. By all means, be immature and silly (I know I am wink ) but maybe we should try and set our own caps on it?

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Personally one game i think should deifnately get deleted should be the word dis-association game, i see zero point in that, anyone agree with me?

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

I've enjoyed being online at 1am and being able to talk to someone on another continent (thanks JP Madam Snoopoi!).

Shes on the same continent as you wink

Written by: Willy

Personally one game i think should deifnately get deleted should be the word dis-association game, i see zero point in that, anyone agree with me?

Yes! Kill it! kill kill kill!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i think quite a few of the games could be axed

certainly "whats in the person above you's pocket" - why?

and a few more

back

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Maybe we should start a 'threads to be killed' thread.

Someone nominates, Someone then seconds the request, then someone thirds it, and then it gets axed.

wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
thats a good idea as it isnt as scary as the lil notify button and gives ppl a chance to defend a thread

back

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Damn. Geographically confused again. (not my fault, I took History at GCSE biggrin )

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
i didnt take either.....

we should have a 'delete a thread' (its probably been done)

and yes i am a post whore but ive been on detox for a while

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
the thread deletion suggestion thread IMHO is folly.
let us trust in the mods to moderate shall we? I find Charles, Josh & Flash in particular have shown proactive, communicative & respectful approach to thread-sifting for us.

How can we objectively assess the value of a gien thread? What is as precious as Vegemite to someone can be as bland and tasteless as Nutella to another wink

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
agree with mr bender. 3 strikes and a post is deleted is massively open to abuse by people with multiple accounts, and defeats the point of free lawful (government and the ones malcolm sets out) speech. If you think a post is unlawful then ask a mod to delete it. If you disagree then ignore it or defend your argument in the thread.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I think game threads should be deleted (after a week-or-so) - put completely deleted, not just have *DELETED* put in their thread and locked - would knock down peoples post counts which makes them a more reliable gague of a persons experience when it comes to answering questions...
Would also act as a deterrent to post whoring for the sole purpose of upping you post count.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
but does anyone actually think that the number over there

<-----------

has got anything to do with the quality of the answers?

ture na sig

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Written by: Durbs

I think game threads should be deleted (after a week-or-so) - put completely deleted, not just have *DELETED* put in their thread and locked - would knock down peoples post counts which makes them a more reliable gague of a persons experience when it comes to answering questions...
Would also act as a deterrent to post whoring for the sole purpose of upping you post count.

Does deleting a thread actually lower your post count? if so i think thats a great idea, i would love to see several 'post whores' post count after a few of the games get deleted, i reckon half of them wouldnt even reach a hundred

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
very fair point. about the only indication "that" number gives is the amount of times you've given your opinion / opened your mouth. I don't feel it gives credence / seniority to peoples views or ideas. if you judge a person on their post count does it say more about you or them?? meditate

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mynci

I don't feel it gives credence / seniority to peoples views or ideas

No. but it could do - it potentially is a good indicator of how much the person knows about their subject - not how many times they've thought up random words and posted smileys smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
this is one of my little bug bares ok some games have been going ages and should stay but some are totally new and even more unimaginatively done take this piece of crap for instance angry

angry[Old link] angry

(iv been on a crusade to try to make the chat section a nice place to be)

but its not working no one is listening to us.
angry angry angry angry angry angry

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
It's not post-whores that get me, but thread-whores. frown frown frown There really is no point in you telling the internet world what you had for lunch. Get over it.

*grumpy fairy out*

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
I think people think they get noticed the more times their name appears on the first page of chat as creator of the thread

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
1) I think that some of these random cutsey threads are probably going to just have to be accepted as a side-effect of having a thriving, vibrant community. I mean, it could be a LOT worse, no?

2) I'm all for taking away post counts. But I'm not sure it's the problem. Sometimes it's just boredom.

3) I also feel that it is very important for me to say: "Crunchy Frog."

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mad Doc Lightning

I mean, it could be a LOT worse, no?

Actually, without becoming actively offensive (which I don't think would be tolerated or allowed on this site by it's members or our mods) I don't think it could be a lot worse. The sheer volume of incoherent censored is unbelievable.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
I agree, and must also say 'Crunchy Frog'

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Thanks for continuing this discussion in such a mature and constructive manner....

You guys have raised some vailid points especially about post counts (which I believe are not reduced by the deletion of threads) and the really, really stupid game threads. I am going to bring this to Malcolm's attention and see what he has to say.

The difficult thing for us mods is knowing where to draw the line. You guys say you hate some of the game threads - guess what? So do we.... however umpteen thousand page views and posts indicate that perhaps some people love them... tricky tricky.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
As far as deletion reducing post counts, I know that on ezboard forums it doesn't but on phpbb forums it does. As of yet i've never dealt with this type of forum before so I wouldn't know.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

Page: