Forums > Social Chat > The silly things that we are told as chidren!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I was out in the garden, working on our new chicken run and i over heard our neighbour telling her kids that its a cage for naughty children and if they misbehave they will get locked in there! I went along with it and the kids swallowed it whole!

It made me think about what nonsense we were told (and then believe) as kids by adults.

My parents made me believe that they were over 100 years old (i was only 3) which led to much embarassment for me at preschool when i mentioned it!

So, what silly things were you told when you were a kid?

SNOOPoiCarpal \'Tunnel
3,380 posts

Posted:
my granddad once told me that sausages were pigs willy's. i believed that until i watched the farm. when rebecca loo's hand to wank off that pig. lol

my mum (thistle) once told me she could turn invisible. believed that one for ages.

some one once told me that if you swallowed chewing gum it would wrap around your heart and it would explode. never swallowed chewing gum again after that.

ubblol nice idea star. very funny memories coming back ubblol

THWACK!!!!
Liz_Ard: Ouch!
SNOOPoi: Thats just not the sound of someone doing it right!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I was told that you can't be thirsty and have to pee at the same time, making me think I was some sort of odd mutant. (Well, I am, but that's besides the point...)

Most of the f'ed-up stuff I thought as a kid was my own doing.

For example, the first airplane flight I can remember I recall that my mother pointed out the wings. I thought she was talking about the rivets (I was like 3, still figuring out the whole language thing). So at some point I figured out that wings were, in fact, big things that make planes fly and that rivets held them together.

But in general my parents didn't believe in deceiving me, other than the standard stuff that we all tell kids (Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc.).

This gives me an idea for another thread... ubbidea

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
When I was little my older brother told me that spiders have a special sharp pointy bit on their bum, and if you let a spider crawl all the way round your wrist then your hand would drop off.

I believed every word of it. redface
I held a turantula for the first time at a school fair when I was 7 or 8. It sat on my hand for a while... and then crawled up where it's bum was level with my wrist.
Yeah, I freaked out just a tiny bit and screamed the place down! ubblol

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Oh, and one that made me laugh...

My friends dad told her younger brother that his bum was broken, because it had a crack down the middle of it. ubblol
The poor kid believed it.

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

SDLWSILVER Member
326 posts

Posted:
its kinda random and only make sence to anybody whos ever visited bristol
In bristol the council house has two identical unicorns on the top of it and as a child my aunty told me that ever christmas they took them down and swapped them round
Wasnt till years later i relised they were identical i spent ages trying to tell whcih was which and work out when they swapped them casue they always just looked the same to me

Still think the things kids come up with themselves are jsut as funny

Tell me and I forget, Show me and I remember, Involve me and I understand

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
today on the train back from Brighton squarexedge was (trying) to balance a contact ball on her head. The woman next to us said to her 3 year old girl "Ooohh look at that strange lady"

*muchos toddler gigglage*

I remember my mums old boss telling me there were people living behind this huge mantle peice thing. Everytime I went to mums work I had a conversation with the person behind there. But it was really my mums boss making the voices ubblol

columbianewbie
6 posts

Posted:
i had a friend who told me their toenail came off so they eat it cos they thought it wud grow bac quicker confused
this was when they were 16 aswell which is quite worrying

such was the power of the beauty inside her that winter turned to spring in her path and flowers grew in her footsteps

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Hahaha.
"Careful you dont make nasty faces, the wind will cahnge and you'll be stuck like that" Never really believed that one though.

I managed to convince my sister that potato chips grow in the ground and come out packaged already!

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
My grandfather used to call our house and talk to my mum and then talk to me and my sister, he would always tell us what we were wearing, how our hair was and what we had done in the last half hour or so. My sister and i would always be amazed and ask him how he did it. He would tell us that he could see us thru the phone, or he had a magic elf on loan from santa. I believed him for sooooo many years. He was great at making people laugh and smile, i miss him.

my mum used to say the wind changing thing, but that was more of a laugh than anything. I also remember being told not to play with your belly button as it might come unstuck and let all your guts out, at 5 i beleived it.

Do we sleep when we die?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Crusts make your hair curly
Carrots make you see in the dark..(war propaganda)
Mothers have eyes in the back of their heads wink
Running around nekkid will make you catch a cold
Goose will get boys willies if they are nekkid

I cant belive I have forgotten them all.
Love that wind change one though. biggrin

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
the carrots thing was because the allied forces had radar, but were saying that their pilots were eating lots of carrots and thats why they could see the enemy.

Do we sleep when we die?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Written by: DragonFury

the carrots thing was because the allied forces had radar, but were saying that their pilots were eating lots of carrots and thats why they could see the enemy.

I was glad when that myth was dispelled. Carrots arent my fave food.

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
if you eat the seeds of a fruit, like an apple or orange, a tree will grow in stomach and you will DIE! Earwigs (little insects like centipedes) will go straight for your ear and attack your brain and make you crazy, then you DIE! if you lost a tooth without giving it to the toothfairy then she would come back and take ALL your teeth out, then you couldnt eat and you would DIE! one year, i had been soooo naughty that i KILLED santa!!
i was one of the most paranoid little kids you could imagine.
...i hate my older brother and sister...

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

thegreatnonamemember
58 posts

Posted:
My parents always told me if I was bad they would kill the mascot for whatever holiday was the closest.

Isn't sanity a one trick pony? Rational thought is all you get but when you are crazy the sky is the limit.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Don't pick your nose, it will cave in...

With the Crusts making your hair curley, I used to believe that, so never ate my crusts... I HATED my curley hair, lol

Hmm, shall have to ask mum what else she told us when we were kids... mostly it was my brother telling me rubbish frown lol

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
i love the episode of Rugrats where Chucky eats a watermelon seed then worries that it will grow.

Do we sleep when we die?

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
When i was little my parents told me there was a santa claus. Tooth fairy . God. Easter bunny.

Lies.... all lies.... if i ever have kids they arent going to be lied to like that

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Tooth fairy and Santa Claus are in essence lies I agree. But if the next morning money appears in a jar and presents then they do exist, in the childs mind. It becomes hard in a society that embraces a myth. God is a harder one to deal with. God does exist for some people and that the way I deal with it. Blah blah believes in God.
It is really hard never to lie to your kids. Never to tell a white lie or lie by omission.

I just said pick up all those toys or they go in the bin. Will I throw away hundreds of dollars of toys into the bin just because the boys emptied a whole toy box looking for a toy yet again.

Is it the Truth?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
"don't even think about it, because I'll have either done it or thought of it first"

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
"stop crying or i'll give you something to cry about"

Do we sleep when we die?

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I remembered when i was about 6 telling my 4 year old sister that because she ate an apple pip by accident a tree would grow inside of her and branches would come out of her ears. She cried for hours! ubblol ubblol

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
my dad was so horrible to us...i cant remember most of the things he said but a lot of them ended with ...and then YOU DIE!

he also enjoyed reading us strewelpeter (suck your thumbs and a man will cut them off!)

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
My brother and I were told that the icecream truck only played music to let people know that they had run out of icecream.

yep. I believed it rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

gunna use that one!

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
if you sneeze with your eyes open your head explodes

if you unscrew your belly button your arse falls off

um....

back

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
my brother once convinced me a reflection of a potplant was actually a monster :P

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
a common one on car trips "If you kids keep fighting back there, I will kick you all out and drive away"

Mum and dad have a box set of Beetles records, my brother actually had my convinced that the box was full of beetles... no, not the band... the bugs.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i convinced a load of kids where i work i was austrian royalty once :P they kept asking my name and i got bored of sam so i changed it to george gregory the 14th of austria

not sure if they really believed me or not

back

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
once my mum did make me get out of the car. My cousin and i were arguing. She stopped, made us get out, started to drive off, stopped and told us to get back in. we were very quiet the rest of the way home.

Do we sleep when we die?

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
https://iusedtobelieve.com/

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

PhaerieBRONZE Member
veteran
1,240 posts

Posted:
my sisters and i used to all share the bath when we were little, we used to love it and play in there for hours. But we all used to crowd around at the end away from the plug hole, because our parents had told us that if we didnt wash our selves octopedy would come up out of the plug and eat us. so we were all terrified that octopedy (were never given a description of him... just the name was enough) would eat us so we all crowded up the other end.
to this day i hate putting my foot directly over the plug hole :rolleyes:

Only when you close your eyes can you really see...

Page: