Forums > Social Chat > Too many rednecks, not enough ammo...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
Apologies to all for the political nature of this post...

I just wanted to say, after reading several of the other more political posts, how surpised I am at this "community". I thought Fireys and twirlers were "enlightened" types, and I am appalled at the sentiments expressed by many with regard to the current and very disturbing state of affairs on this planet...Rugger buggers become drugger buggers, pick up twirlers and have a nice time walking around at Irie parties, with their tye died shirts...acting like the Dalai Lama himself just gave them permission to be...but under the veneer, a redneck always is and always will be a redneck.

Anyway, have a good day!

Free your mind and your ass will follow!

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I am very confused as to the nature and purpose of your post could you explain further?

Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
No purpose, as I said, I just wanted to say....

I am dissappointed at the attitudes expressed on a lot of posts on this forum, that is all...

So just read, don't read into it...

[ 02 October 2002, 10:46: Message edited by: Fire_Emanator ]

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
But it ain't gonna change by insulting people. It achieves nothing & just makes people more defensive.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
If you are insulted, then I apologise, it is not an insult, rather an observation.

Maybe I should have said, that I a dissapointed ( read: disgusted) with the majority of people in the first world...and the world in general...

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
if yoy don't want to explain to us what you mean by your post, I guess that's your right...but it sounds like you're making some kind of a comment on people's beliefs...that's fine but I think that at the least, you owe those people an explanation of what you're saying about them...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Nah, I myself wasn't insulted, cos I was rather hoping it wasn't leveled at me

I am just think at the moment about how you go about changing people's beliefs. All I know is that namecalling is not the solution. It kinda reminds me of the neo-tribalism of student politics, where if you belong to another group, they won't listen to a word out of your mouth, or even say well done if you do something they agree with.

But what is the solution. How do you change someone's beliefs? Have you ever managed to do it?

[ 02 October 2002, 11:03: Message edited by: Rozi ]

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
no comment myself on whatcha see - feel, Emanator, do hear ya loud & clear, until i say something smaller first. i found out in saying this to you, it leads to da BIG.

tho it's a smaller issue, like ya slang, especially

quote:
posted by Fire_Emanator:
Rugger buggers become drugger buggers
& got some nice lilt in the twirling - Irie & other lines which follow. ya were inspired!

have peeps always said "redneck" in Oz? in the states, it started in the "deep south" (really now our southeast as the Union grew into the west), a name for farmers standing in fields, so the sun burned the back of their necks red. wuzzit always a world-wide turn o phrase?

which now comes back to your main, bigger issue in a lil bigger way to:

are the actual peeps ya call rednecks a world-wide phenom, now & always, too?

d'ya think fire spinners are far off the norm in da statistical curve of varied politico- philosophical - spiritual - psychological - social positions? i'm askin myself, very seriously, Emanator, the same thing about several groups to which i belong now.

many are groups i joined or explored because they explicitly embraced some attitudes i found wonderful, refreshin. many of the many i meet in them are not very steady in embracing those attitutudes that they partly come together to share, tho. the majority look like the varied majority's stat distribution of conservative, pragmatist & liberal, good, neutral & evil, etc. etc., ugly (whatever to you), fair, beautiful, etc. etc. . . slightly attracted to different what different groups rep.

do groups pose as well as individuals? yup. whole nations, whole eras of history, whole species. like we pose as caretakers or owner or the final bloom of planet earth's fantastic experiment in biological life. we're just a stage.

and no, y'all know by now, i am & have crafted myself, policy thinktank people & psychics in Sedona, AZ usually agree, into a damnedly positive dude. less afraid of trouble than willing to succeed with you through it. and dang, have gotten pretty good at really recognizing the virtues of enemies & the imperfect 100% of us, and loving them, & not discriminating against them regardless.

while hardly naive. so i never had much of a disillusionment like others who are socially liberal. strange, lucky cat, i think, family & self helped me flesh out from commercial biz effectiveness to some developing ability to tap into & inherit & even grow diverse spiritual sources & attitudes humans have explored so far in our history (& not history), to the wild ride of the muse in many arts, now blessedly including spinnin fire toys.

talking bout myself? yeah, always, like all of us, in part to honor myself. more because it's more polite to be an example than criticize others directly by name, giving them the space & opportunity to grow & respond & rep themselves & be whatever influence they want to be. so i can speak shamelessly (or shamefully, but i have little of that now, for & about anyone), of my own progress, at the risk of boring you if you think it's only about me, yet without claiming to tell you about yourself, whom i know a bit, and about whom i can undoubtedly see some parts you don't, at least consciously, as you can see parts of me too.

{in a while, in another part of my life, i'll be putting some of my best grasp of some mainly American cultural groups in the best communicative forms i can. in fact, i find i've already started, in convos with Home of Poi peeps especially, mainly outside these fora. <-- that's for my friends C@ntus, Flynt, Jade Lynx, & others who want me to use proper terms sometimes, for the fun of it, like fora = Latin => proper English plural for forum(s). (big f*ckn deal, & that's for my friend Stone who now agrees).}

so i am usefully, happily dis-illusioned about some groups including spinners, now. i've experienced, sometimes saved or helped towards good as i recognize it, lies, theft, self misperception, spinners not having the courage of their convictions in action, flakes including me sometimes, tho doing much much better right now, in fact, charged up by whatever messes float past & through me, lots of separatism, bigotry, discrimination, false claims & slogans of PLUR.

and i'm a positivist, not as one form of naivete after all, but as my contribution, with the necessary willpower & love & constant welcome to y'all, almost dying of appreciation when ya give it my way too, my contribution to our mutual success. so mentioning our foibles is just the honesty from which we can improve our actual state. our actual state. our actual state. never be afraid of who you actually are, weaknesses & all with your strengths & immense potential.

turn that to immediate glory, joy, & fulfillment, glad for whatever work lets it happen, too.

we had a discussion of fears, which included in many cases a fear of being labelled by others. fie on labels, and don't mind them. you change who you are & what you do & have your effect on everyone & everything else, the labels change.

you create the universe to a huge extent. even with 7 billion humans alone among quintillions of currently living beings on this planet all creating the universe too, & influencing it for you.

so may your word be bond & truth. & big deal when ya miss.

may my word be bond, and help me stand by it when i miss.

your job you may be declaring for yourself, Fire_Emanator, who are you & how will you help bring us all round if you feel we're under-performing the wonderful life as pyros, & the wonderful community of Home of Poi we want to share, with very fundamental desire?

lead, yo

~ Mike

[ 02 October 2002, 11:18: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
Let me answer some questions/ statements then:
rozi: I am not unsulting anyone, merely making a statement, unless you are a redneck, then I am insulting, sorry don't mean to hurt anyones feelings...actually, I don't really care, but sorry anyway.
Paddy: No explanation owed at all, it is a simple as that, there are a lot of narrow minded bigoted people around the world, and in here. I am one of them too....
Rozi again: How do you change people's beleifs? by talking/ discussing in a clear way, they will decide what they want to beleive in the end. Have I ever changed anyones? I am not sure, I hope that at least all those who know me and hear this all the time, think twice the next time they are confronted by something that i would share my opinion with them about, and may then think twice.

FireMike: Rednecks are all over the world...I use the term loosely to describe any indiot who is a racist, homophobe, conservative, narrow minded, dumb ass, who does not realise that there are 7 billion of us, not just themself, who probably thinks that" Kill em all, let God sort em out" is a profound philosophy, probably not really aware of the world beyond what they see on telly and read in the propoganda, probably is not aware that the world needs a change.
To reiterate my point, I think that there are a hell of a lot of these people around, and I thought that this "community" did not attract them, and am surprised to find that they are even in here.
One of my missions in life is to try and share with all those I meet, and talk with them, express my anger, cos it is anger, I am beyond concern. Then they usually get upset and it ends there, but what I am trying to get to, is to share then, my vision of what we as a generation are responsible for, and where we are failing, and what do they think about that? Unfortunatley, at this point in my life, I am a man of words not action, and words are all I have, and I have so many because I am truly frustrated at having so many and not having as many actions. The action that I do have, is to hang out with open minded people, and share my views, in an inspiring way, and maybe they will be enriched by it maybe not. At the end of the day the sun goes down, life is empty and meaningless, I was just making conversation...because have you noticed, conversation is dead?

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Ooooops, I appear once again to have trod on the corpse of conversation

I just want to emphasise again that I am not insulted. I just don't think that at the start of the thread you were getting your message across as intended, it was clouded by the noise of the term "redneck" etc.

I would love to talk this out with you sometime. Maybe at Glebe this Thurs? I will be the semi-crap spinner with the red hair. I will probably be wearing my "naive" T-shirt, as my favourite form of decoration.

I was thinking today about using shock to change people's beliefs and challenge them. I was think about Jonathan Swift. I believe he is the gentleman who suggested that the solution a century or two ago to poverty and overpopulation in Ireland was to eat children. The point of his argument being to surprise people into looking at their own preachy attitudes towards "poor people", and their seemingly ridiculous solutions and standards.

I am sure even today it is a misunderstood piece of writing. If someone tried something similar, do you think it would be effective in changing people's minds? People like Mike Moore in the USA come to mind. Do you think his form of activism is effective?

Has anyone changed your mind? How did they do it? I am really interested in exploring this topic. For me, when people have changed my mind, they quite often started by sympathising with me. They found out what I was really worried about, then tried to address it. What about you?

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Rednecks are more sophisitcated than you would think, it is just another culture. Dont Hate!! I thought you were supposed to be liberal and accepting of everyone. Yet you bash on rednecks how rude!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Emanator,

Never make the mistake of thinking that fire spinners are united by anything other than fire. The beauty of the world is in the differences between us.

Not every spinner is a liberal. Not every spinner uses drugs. Not every spinner likes electronic music. We've got U.S. Marines, business executives, students, fast-food workers, and people who aren't quite sure what their occupation is. We've got people of all ages. We have straight people, queer people, and people who haven't got that figured out just yet. We've got Christians, Bhuddists, Jews, and even some devout athiests.

Now, if you were expecting to find just one kind of person, and your definition of "enlightened" means that someone subscribes to just one political philosophy, I'd say you're in the wrong place.

If you want to meet amazing people from all sorts of different backgrounds and points of view, then WELCOME TO HOME OF POI!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

2,905 posts

Posted:
1 point for Mike!!

Dont forget that we also have different sences of humor, different levels of edjucation, ideas on a perfect life. Hell to sum it up we are different people. Diversification is what makes this place so great.

I am redneck to the bone and to call me such is a compliment not an insult, by the way inresponce to your ammo idea. We have it all so thats why your in shortage

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Raymund Phule:

I am redneck to the bone and to call me such is a compliment not an insult, by the way inresponce to your ammo idea. We have it all so thats why your in shortage

Hey, Rednecks are good people.

Now the BEER that they seem to like is awful. But other than that, they're good people.

Just...do something about the beer. "Milwaukee's Best" is NOT good beer. K?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I agree: we are united by fire and fire alone.

As to the rest......eh..

Raph

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
negroid african farmers where i grew up between the limpopo & zambezi rivers don't get red necks in the sun, & for both sexes, traditionally, much more than a neck was showin in da fields! & now all wear causcasian-style clothes, even floppy or straw hats, yet never a redneck danger!

ya gotta try beer they make, Ray, Mike, Raph, Fire_Emanator, Rozi, Paddy, dromepixie, if ya drink beer. . .wow, it packs a bang, darkish golden yellow or variable color with batch, & if made really in big ole pots in da field, da whole snake might be brewed in it for some extra kick!

drinks on me next time we're there together for a fresh brew.

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I'm not a fan of beer, but I'd certainly try this stuff.

I have had some homebrews that were much tastier than the commercial crap.

Raph

2,905 posts

Posted:
I am a fan of alcohol in general, I will drink anything you put in front of me, but if I dun like it and you put it in front of me again your SOL

Frankly I love my American bear. Gimme my Bud ande Coors I like my beer light gold and freezing cold!

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Rozi:

Has anyone changed your mind? How did they do it?
I used to have a VERY strong opinion on the Arab Isralei Conflict, then a Jewish friend explained the Jewish side of the story, and the outcome was that both sides are wrong because they are using violence to solve conflict. It was an eye opener and really made a differnce!!

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by FireMike:

ya gotta try beer they make, Ray, Mike, Raph, Fire_Emanator, Rozi, Paddy, dromepixie, if ya drink beer. . .wow, it packs a bang, darkish golden yellow or variable color with batch, & if made really in big ole pots in da field, da whole snake might be brewed in it for some extra kick!

drinks on me next time we're there together for a fresh brew.
Born and raised in South africa, have had a few cartone in the veld, around a fire, with a couple of spliffs in newspaper! Really miss home....

Hot diggedy dang Ray, you gots ta send me a recipe for some o dat home brew ya'll be drinkin, hell ifnit pack a punch I be down fo that shit!

And to everyone else, yes united by fire and fire alone....
Thanks for the comms!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Raph's a redneck. Lost in a sea of Parisians.

Emanator: Surely Rugger Buggers are fans of rugby.

Just an observation.

Meh

2,905 posts

Posted:
I dont have any home made stuff talk to FireMike about that one.

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
quote:
Frankly I love my American bear. Gimme my Bud ande Coors
Um, Ray, Those aren't American beers.

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

2,905 posts

Posted:
so budwiser is from where?

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I can't be a redneck, C@ntus!

Heh. I just started listing reasons, then hit the delete key a few times.

They would just upset some here and there is little to be gained from that.

Raph

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I am sorry , but could someone be patient enough and tell me what a Redneck is litterally ?

thanks

the frog

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Huiamember
61 posts

Posted:
That is the biggest answer..i have ever seen.

Loving your life...loving your planet...loving yourself.

Huiamember
61 posts

Posted:
But very cool none the less.

Kurobeimember
786 posts

Posted:
Emanator - what would happen if you were talking to someone, getting on with them quite well and suddenly you find out they're a "redneck"? Would you suddenly back away and start insulting them when only a few seconds ago you were making pleasant conversation with them?

"Redneck" is just a label that someone has applied to a certain group of people, it has nothing to do with the way they are, sure some of them will be assholes but then there are assholes in every corner of society.

"Rednecks" are veried and differing, Kurt Cobain once wrote a song about the Rednecks in Aberdeen, WA. He despised the way they were so homophobic and very predjudice against anything or anyone outside of their little clique. This is one type of "Redneck", another as Ray pointed out is just a beer drinking American male, how are these two people the same? Just because they are both labled as "Rednecks" does it mean to say that their political, social, personal and mental issues are the same? Of course it doesn't!!!

Everyone on the planet is different and the labels we give to social groups is very loosely applied to a vast number of people so it says nothing about the individuals in that group.

Cass - if you asked someone here what a "Redneck" is, I don't think you would get an answer that matched with anyone else's or made any sense!!

As for your quite unprovoked attack on these people, it doesn't really stand up does it?
"Rugger buggers become drugger buggers" what exactly are you trying to say here?
Rugger buggers means one thing where I'm from, what does it mean to you?
"picking up fire twirlers and walking round at Irie parties like the Dalai Lama gave them permission..."

WHAT?!

Irie parties...do you even know what this means?
And since when did the Dalai Lama have anything to do with fire twirlers OR "Rednecks"?
Do you even know what the Dalai Lama does or even WHO he is for that matter?!

I have to ask, why are you even talking to us? You quite obviously have no conception about the greater picture you are so blatantly insulting, you have the ordacity to bring someone like the Dalai Lama into your petty little thesis and then start blazing about Irie parties!! If your thread has no political issue like you claim and you meant to insult no one, why post it? You know people will react and you know people will object and disagree with what you are saying.

And just to top it off, your very thread title - the very worst type of "Redneck" is a gun toting, trgger happy, beer drinking, homophobic, red meat eating 100% pure American male......kinda sound like you aspire to this with your "too many rednecks, NOT ENOUGH BULLETS"

[ 02 October 2002, 21:41: Message edited by: Kurobei ]

whats up with all the limitations?

Huiamember
61 posts

Posted:
I think you need these kinds of threads from time to time.Its good to have nice strong honest opinions about 'serious'... but... more 'reality check' topics.

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Now I do not usually get involved in threads with the unpleasant vibe such as this one, but it has really got me annoyed.

Apologies to Fire_Emanator for everyone not fitting in to his stereotypical view of fire twirlers. How inconsiderate it is of people who have been around these boards for years to upset the newbie in this way.

Emanator, if you don't like the company in here feel free to leave us at any time.

Our diversity from each other is what makes us all so beautifully interesting.

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it is not very nice to try to push your beliefs on others in this way. Also by showing your intollerence of other peoples political ideals you seem to be just like one of those 'Rednecks' that you detest so much.

No love here in this thread Thistlefirepixie

Are we nearly there yet?

Page: