Forums > Help! > Cheap audio spinning solutions?

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I know an mp3 player is the best thing to spini with, but those of us of limited means find i-pods a bit hard to come by... anyone got any good tips on getting audio which:

a) doesn't cost the earth in batteries

b) isn't too bulky to move around with without catching poi/staff on

c) doesn't involve stuffing it down your crotch in order not to fall on the ground

Thanks.. my chunky old Discman is getting really annoying. Also, what are the best headphones for spinning?

Whilst I realise this has been discussed before, I'm looking for an update with current technology/prices. Hope that's cool.

EDITED_BY: nearly_all_gone (1116591242)

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Buy a cheap mp3 player.

a) recharges by usb

b) about the size of a matchbox

c) put it in a pocket

it'll cost you less than 40 quid for one that does a few hours of music if you shop around (ie you buy it off the net not from a shop). Any earplugs are suitable, a set of cheap sennheisers are under a tenner

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
cheers. I'd not considered a USB one, only these [censored] ipod/creative jobs which are far beyond my price range.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
You get what you pay for though. iPods are well worth it.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I can believe it. It's just not a possibility for me in my current situation - and I'm not doing the whole "Free iPod" thing. I like my friends and family, I wouldn't subject them to that wink biggrin

As a side point... does anyone know where you can get electronics stuff like USB drives cheaply? I don't buy this sort of thing that often and I don't want to get ripped off by going to a shop or just going to Amazon.

Thoreau

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I find amazon quite good really. Or eBay of cause. I used to use ebuyer.com but they've got really bad in the last year to the point that I won't use them again.

Just look around.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
I use ebuyer on average once a month, they're ok for dirt cheap parts made by manufacturers you know are good. I wouldn't buy anything expensive from there thou. I bought a canon digital SLR from another company earlier this month which when arrived was faulty. The company delivered another the day later and picked the faulty one up free of charge. Ebuyer would have taken upto 28 days and made me arrange and pay delivery back to them, so I'm glad I paid a bit more. I have saved a small fortune over the years through ebuyer for general parts

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
the above post was made by flid, who'se computers have been overrun by Sir_Sheep who leaves herself logged in all the time (and smells)

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
If you hit up ebay, then you can get a really good buy, just watch teh shipping costs, and make sure its a good one

ebay mp3 players (1GB Or more)

what i would say about i-pods or zens is that they are a lot sof money for a name or style piece, they are a large drive, and a lot of songs you dont really wnat to listen to

also watch out on mp3 players, that say they suport WMA these files are smaller than mp3's so you can carry more on smaller device....

you could look at places like netto's, lidl, or aldi, they have IT stuff cheep every month, and you can drop on nicely

what i would say is search hard and harder, and you will grab a good deal!

Step (el-nombrie)

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I bought a small (128mb) MP3 player from Empire Direct for only £19.99!!
Plus it's shiny and purple.

It's tiny, fits in my pocket! Smaller than my mobile!!

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
If you go to eBay, you can get 256mb direct from Hong Kong for £0.01 but they charge around 20 postage so it's still a bargain, my mate got one and it's pretty cool smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
careful of import duty which sometimes gets charged

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys biggrin

Thoreau