Forums > Other Toys > Burning Off With Snakes?

Login/Join to Participate

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
I should be getting some firesnakes in the mail soon, and i was wondering if you can do some kind of burn-off with snakes. confused If not, would I just have to spin off the excess fuel before I light up?

weavesmiley

Either way, I can't wait to give them a spin! devil

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
spin off bucket ?

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I use those heavy-duty vinyl coated work/gardening gloves to 'wring out' my ropes- this gets rid of most of the excess and puts it back in the fuel bucket; then a small spin-off before lighting up to make sure.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
Thanks OWD, I'll do something like that when I get them!

How long do yours burn for?

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
however, i just recently made my own set of snakes using 1/2" kevlar rope, and they are a little different than the ones HoP sells because i have a monkey fist knot on the end which is bigger and stays lit longer and on the grip end i have about 3 inches of ball chain between the grip and the snakes....

that being said, i have used them about 20 times or so (burning colemans)... and i cant ever get them to spin out the way cathedral wicks do... with my cathedral wicks i spin out and leave two flaming lines on the ground that are about 10 - 12 feet long... when i try to spin these out, nothing happens... i am not sure why.... i mean it is possible that they just absorb SO much more fluid and i dont doak them long enough, but i dont think so... those monkey fists stay lit forever!

in any case, you first burn with snakes is a little intimidating, just because there is so much more fire and it is closer to your hands than normal, so i would reccomend not soaking toto long to have a short burn to get the feel of it without freaking out and losing any more body hait than necessary

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
you might be able to 'snap' the snakes (like cracking a whip) to burn them off

I used to have a 2m length of rope, with knots in either end, with about 70cm of each end soaked in paraffin: cracking it produced a rather impressive fireball

cracking both ends at once produced a huge fireball

cracking both ends at once after it had been burning for a while and re-dipped produced a fireball which was big enough to make me think twice about doing it again.

but i suppose it depends on how long the snakes are. make sure to snap away from the audience (if any) and downwind (duh). if the two aren't compatible, don't do it.

ture na sig

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
Written by: FlamingOberon

in any case, you first burn with snakes is a little intimidating, just because there is so much more fire and it is closer to your hands than normal, so i would reccomend not soaking toto long to have a short burn to get the feel of it without freaking out and losing any more body hait than necessary

I soaked them quite well... It was great! I love my snakes. and my monkeyfists ubblove I actually find my monkeyfists on ball chain more intimidating than snakes because I know that the metal WILL burn me, but the snakes are mostly wick.

Written by: quiet

you might be able to 'snap' the snakes (like cracking a whip) to burn them off

I'm not too sure if that'll work with my snakes, but I'll try anyway! biggrin

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I just spin mine off like normal poi. Remember to be ultra careful if you try using them as whips/practice much

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
hmm didnt think of cracking em like whips... but since i have the ball chain connectore between the snake and grip i am not sure if it will work... if it wasnt almost 1 am i would go try.................

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
Tell me if it works!

I probably won't be lighting my snakes until Tuesday...

RAZESILVER Member
How much for a truckload of feathers?
108 posts

Posted:
What's the best fuel to use with snakes?
I made the mistake of curing my (HOP shop) snakes' wicks with a very crappy lamp oil (curing: soak for 10 hours, light, smother, light, smother, light, smother etc), and they burned pathetic frown
I've spent the last 20-odd burns trying to get rid of the crappy lamp oil remains by burning with paraffin (since my first poi set burned AMAZING with paraffin). It's an okay burn, but I know these snakes can burn brighter and longer. What's the optimum fuel for snakes? Here's the current effect... I'm sure it can get better:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=all&page=1

If you eat your dessert before your dinner, you will live longer. Living longer means more fire....