FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
Heya heya Heya

So does anyone have any hints on making steel wool burn longer? how densely can it be packed? I spun it for the first time last night and it was tres beau, but it would be great if it could go for a little longer...

My cages are home made using steel galvnzied electric fence wire, and they are approx. 8.4cm x 8.4cm x 10.8 cm in size, and i put three pads of steel wool in each, a mixture of 00 and 000 grade., and i unrolled it and fluffed it up before stuffing the cages, and i did not use any fuel on them at all.

i know that coarser grades burn slower, but dont always spark as much. would mixing grades be a way to get a more consistent spark shower? And possibly a little longer burn time? So maybe some 000 and some 2 or something? Or even all the way to 4? Should i just put more steel wool in, and pack it in tighter?

Thanks!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
My vote is that most of the wire wool spins I've seen are in the gimmick category, apart from Jo Derrys 'Black-Bush' poi spins which were exceptionally well put together and looked amazing.

It's worth mentioning that wire wool spinning is a step up on the danger level, involving globules of molten metal.

And that, obviously, special attention to the proximity of others is essential (I have seen someone walk right into the middle of a group of fire spinners, and commence to spin wire wool before, with no warning of what he was about to do).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
And, almost more important than proximity to others, is proximity to the fuel bucket, especially if youre dancing with white gas...

It was fun to spin and i bet it could be incorporated into a show somehow, and gimmicky or not, it is beautiful. but it is somethign that i feel is kind of gimmicky, but thats OK, because it is so cool...

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
layering the wool gauges gives a structural integrity to the wool when the temp goes up and also keeps the burn time longer...longest time ive gotten so far is 3-5 minutes but that also has to do w\my cage design.....

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
so would the heavier gauge go in the outside and the fine gauge on the inside, or vice versa?

or would you layer it from up to down?

My cages are home-made, about 8.4cm x 8.4cm x 10.8 cm in size, with the holes all about 2cm in size.... maybe make the holes smaller? i supoose i could post a pic later today of them, but i dont have em with me at the moment...

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
pm me w\details\questions etc...the design ive got isnt the safest thing in the world......almost got my house on fire twice.....

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: FlamingOberon

So does anyone have any hints on making steel wool burn longer?

A sparkley poi question that hasn't been asked!

I have no idea what the answer would be but I salute you for coming up with a novel question!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
Thanks NYC... I love the effect but in order for it to cross the line from gimmick to meaningful part of a full length concert it has to burn for more than 25 seconds, and right now thats my peak...

FO

Sam JelfsBRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
has anyone got any detailed pics of their wire wool cages? im thinking of making some and was wondering what the best way is to go about doing it....

cheers

Sam J

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
hi,

check the links in this thread:

[Old link]

there's loads of advice about sparkley poi in these forums - if you search you'll find plenty on the subject. Be safe though - wear goggles and fire resistant clothing - the sparks are basically molten metal and they're really hot. I can't find any pictures of the Black Bush poi but they are based on whiskey tins (Black Bush is a brand of whiskey with a large black tin) with a little cage at the bottom - they burn for about 50 seconds on average.

Jo.
EDITED_BY: Jo (1117473014)

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: ]Learn how to spin real fire, it''s just a gimmick[/quote

ubblol Sure....cuz Fire Spinning isn't a gimmick of poi at all wink ubblol

I think the best way is bigger cages, perhaps metal tubes such as whiskey cans like Jo said and definately a mixture of wool grades.

But the bigger they are, the more likely to have huge lumps of molten metal and lots more danger.

The cages we use are double wrapped chicken wire in a cylindrical shape, about 12cm diameter and 30cm long. They give nice long burns but tend to dissapear if the momentum is lost. Keep up the momentum tho and it's around a 40 second burn time

Let's relight this forum ubblove