Forums > Meet Others > Gathering: Los Angeles Area

Login/Join to Participate

ZerroSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
Hey all. Ok so it's come to my attention that for the most part there are no organized groups in the Los Angeles area who get together to practice or burn poi and other fire toys. There is one place I know of but they charge money to take the class. I want to rectify this problem. I know there are people out there who do poi as I have talked to a few.
Recently Leliannan (who's on this site too) and I got together to practice localy and it was a good experience to finally get together with a fellow Poi person. She and I decided to see if we can organize a group to practice with localy. So let me take this moment now to formaly send out an invitation to all local fire people. Starting once a month, Leliannan and I are going to start meeting up on a regular basis. If you are into ANY type of fire toys of ANY skill you are more then welcome to join this gathering. Both of us do not mind commuting some what so if you are not close to either one of us within reasonable distance we can find a center location to start meeting. I personaly live off of the 101 near Topanga Canyon blvd in Canoga Park (yahoo map it or mapquest it if you dont know where that is) Leliannan i think is in Hollywood. If you are anywhere near within reason contact me and we'll discuss more times and places. By me, for practice purposes, there are a few parks. Parks in general where ever we meet would be the best place to go in my opinion but I'm up for anything. Once this gets going and we decide to burn, normaly I go to a local beach. I know a few really good secluded spots where my friends and I go and BBQ while I burn, and not get hassled by anyone.
So with all that said; LETS GET TOGETHER. I'm sick of watching videos of Europeans who are smiling and happy and with about 10 people hanging out at the park while I'm busy getting kicked out of parking lots, or feeling stared at while in a park all alone with kids pointing at me asking "mommy mommy what's that strange man doing with those chains?". Lets make a community local to us where we can get together and have fun in a group as well as learn from one another. This is just my opinion.
If you're intrested you can get a hold of me through this web site or email me at satd1@hotmail.com Thanks and I look forward to hearing from anyone intrested.

Gone Crazy, Back Soon.

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
I'm in. I'm in the south h'wd area, but would be willing to drive. I don't know about parks around here where you can burn, but I go to the park by the tar pits just to spin practice poi or glowsticks. It's open 'til 10, but that's a huge drive for you. I think there was some mention of someone being in N. Hollywood - that might be a good central location. If you want to do it on a wknd, that would be great. And I 100% agree: this continent could also use some merry bands of spinners! smile weavesmiley smile

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

AlfredSILVER Member
Altyd Brandend
149 posts

Posted:
WOO HOO!Count me in.We def. need a merry band of spinners.Have you guys ever been to Venice beach on a sunday?There is always a drumming circle and every now and again i would spot a spinner.We cant do fire there coz the Po'Po is pretty hectic. I have a few friends in the OC that i can bring allong who also do fire.
And if we have enough people we can maybe start a petition or beg the LAFD to let us spin somewhere.I heard stories of a burn that happens in LA on monday nights,ill find out more maybe we can use their space( if its free) or just invinte them to jam with us.
please keep me posted
~end~

Spinning makes my world go round

munkypunksGOLD Member
367 posts

Posted:
I've danced at the Venice drum circle, but never spun, haven't been in quite a while. I heard there's a beach down south somewhere that's totally cool with fire. Do you know anything about that - is it near you? I also heard you can spin fire in public - like, just set up in a parking lot or whatever - if you get a permit. Which falls under the category of begging the LAFD, I guess......

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

AlfredSILVER Member
Altyd Brandend
149 posts

Posted:
I have spun at the beach at Oceanside which is not too far from San Diego.Nobody hassels me,dulce flames also spins there.have you spoken to the LAFD?Does everybody need a permit or is it a "group permit"?Do you know somebody or some place in LA that would spare a few parking spots?

Spinning makes my world go round

munkypunksGOLD Member
367 posts

Posted:
My understanding is that it's a 'group permit' but it costs $300!!! I was thinking perhaps the high school, or there's a concrete area at the park, but given the cost there has to be a bunch of interested people to make it worthwhile.

ZerroSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
As far as my understanding goes, localy at least, there are two permits: one to actualy burn and then one for the park or where ever you plan on burning at if its not privately owned. Secondly, LAFD told me that you have to have a Fire Safety officer which costs 60ish an hour. What I had in mind was practice at the parks or what not, and burn at the beaches (or practice at a beach since they're so nice this time of year). The beach I've burned at is fairly secluded so I dont get hassled.
Also, I've had quiet a few responses via email so I'll post here. The first meeting will be mid May on a weekend most likely Sunday later in the day. Like I said this is tentative until I hear back from everyone which day/time's are better for them. So let me know when is a good day/time or what days you cant or limitations. Thanks smile

Gone Crazy, Back Soon.

ZerroSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
Oh and if you email me with the above, let me know where you live and how far you wouldnt mind driving too so I can try to accomidate everyone. Thanks.

Gone Crazy, Back Soon.

ZerroSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
Ok, the first meeting is going to be the 3rd Sunday of May at about 5-6p.m ish. Place is still undetermined.

Gone Crazy, Back Soon.

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
Hey, you guys do know about Fireplay LA, right? Its every Wednesday night, is fully legal in terms of paperwork (only legal meet in LA) runs from 8pm to midnight and doesn't cost anything, although donations to cover the costs of parking permits, which you get there, are appreciated and should be given.

If you want to do a beach meet, look in to Dockweiler State Beach as its the only beach in LA where you can legally have fire. I don't know what the legal hours are there.

If you guys have any questions, PM or e-mail mail. Although I have to warn you, I don't check my e-mails everyday.

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
You're kidding, right? There are plenty of fire spinners in LA... check out tribe.net - a good place to start might be LAFirePerformance tribe, or LA Fire Conclave. There are at least 3 or 4 other LA-area tribes for fire spinners as well...

The web site for the wednesday night practices is here:

https://www.lafc.org/spinjam/index.html

EDITED_BY: Orbit (1115714695)

ZerroSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
Hey for all that are intrested the first meet is going to be on Sunday, May 22 at about 6ish. Since I cant find any middle point the first one will be at a park on Topanga Canyon Blvd off of the 101 and then next month it will be further down south to accomidate the people driving out from OC. Thanks.

Gone Crazy, Back Soon.

ZerroSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
Ok, first meet went pretty well. A few people showed up and we all shared some tricks. Next meet should probably be the 3rd Sunday of June the 19th at about the same time as last. Place is still undecided, depends on whose coming this time. Email me and let me know if your intrested. Oh and this time (posibly, again depending on who comes and where we go) we might go to the beach to burn. Dunno for sure yet smile. Laterz.

Gone Crazy, Back Soon.

The FadeSILVER Member
fading happily....
212 posts

Posted:
im gonna be in LA from August 20-26ish and September 6-10ish. id love to catch up with you guys for a burn! ill drop back in here closer to the date and see whats happening smile

weavesmiley

We walk light
Down the wires
Higher than weather baloons
Empty hearts on fire...

ZerroSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
umm quick update... It's not gonna be the 19th, sorry. I meant to post it as the last Sunday of June which is the 26th. And Fade, we'd love to have ya, let me know closer to when you're gonna be here and we'll talk then. Thanks.

Gone Crazy, Back Soon.