Forums > Help! > Help! My Lap-Top's Screwed!

Login/Join to Participate

SeraphireHoP's Original Smelly-Hippie-Scum-Bag
270 posts

Posted:
Ahh help my lap-top's screwed!

If anyone has any idea I'll post exactly what its doing.

I switch it on and it comes up with this;

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start sucessfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power falure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, chose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally".

When any option is chosen, or even no choice, letting Windows open automatically, the following screen is displayed in blue:

"A problem has been defected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for and Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x80F19B20, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

What do I need to do!

Music gives Soul to the Universe, Wings to the Mind, Flight to the Imagination and Life to Everything.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE! hug

dsei.org Stop The Arms Trade!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Do you have the windows CD? Is it Windows XP?

If so boot with it (put the CD in and restart) and go to the recovery console (sorry I can't remember exactlly how to do it...F8 maybe...it'll tell you). Follow what the screen says and when you get to the DOS like screen you can type in type:

CHKDSK /R /F /X

And let it run though.

Report back on your findings. I'll PM you my mubile number if you want me to talk you though it.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
You can go to www.microsoft.com, then into support on the left side, and then type in the error code (the stuff after the stop) into the search area at the left top (Knowledge base).

The same thing happened to my laptop last week, although it's error number was slightly different from yours. Luckily, it is my work PC and thus I have people here to fix it for me. After 8 hours, the very competent PC guy was able to revive it, so there is hope for your machine.

hug

270 posts

Posted:
OK. your right it was F8 and the menu look like this.

"Windows Advanced Options Menu
Please select an option:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
Debugging Mode

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu"

Go for the Boot Logging?

Music gives Soul to the Universe, Wings to the Mind, Flight to the Imagination and Life to Everything.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Nope, it's R but you'll need to have booted from the windows CD first

270 posts

Posted:
It won't give me that option. Attempting to Re-boot with the CD still brings me to the first screen I described. The only option I have now is the one above. I've exhausted all attempts on the options in my first post, with par to F8.

270 posts

Posted:
No results Via Microsoft. I've sent Packard Bell the same information too.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I feel your pain.

In about ten minutes im about to format windows xp. Before i throw it out the window.

I've only got xp home though frown

dont think im savy enough to be sure i'll be able to get all the hardware operational if i put linux on

*shrug*

wish me luck

and good luck to you smile

Love is the law.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Seraphire..

You need to get the computer to boot from the cd drive to start with.

This can be done by entering the bios.

You should usually press Del when you turn your computer on, and this will bring you in to the bios.

It should be under Advanced options or something.

Switch the First Boot Device to the CD-ROM.

Then save the changes and exit the bios.

The computer will reboot, and when it starts up, will look on the cd drive first for something to load, so make sure you put the cd in first.

smile
EDITED_BY: Unattractive Cranky Old Freud (1111434148)

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Oh, Mr. UCOF, just because you solved your own problem last time you think you're a gook like me huh? wink

But he's right though, Although I bet it'll be F2 on start up (before the beep, just keep hitting F2 or Delete or whatever it says "Hit ** To evter setup" or something)

It might be under Advanced or Boot depending on your BIOS, but you'll want to add CD-ROM as the first boot device. Then restart with the windoew CD in.

Sorry if you called and I missed it, Try again tomorrow if need be.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Any progress?

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Heeh heee he is the smeely hipy scum bag - like from Give me one good reason by Blink 182 - but in their song is the "Hippy F**ki'n scum bags"
HARRHARRRHARRR
sorry
i threaten my compuyter with a baseball bat if it tdoesnt work...

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
What _are_ you talking about? confused

270 posts

Posted:
Well. I've been a bit busy recently, but I got round to buggering around on my lap-top again. I tried everything that had been suggested. Then somehow I pressed some combination of Delete and F8 and I got a new menu to boot from The Floppy Drive, Hard Drive and CD-ROM, then enter setup. I tried the CD-ROM, it clicked a bit, whirred some more, and went to the blue screen, and I have still been unable to bring up the same menu.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I'm too sleepy to say anything now, but you have my number so feel free to call me as I'm going to the BJC tomorrow morning.

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
had the same problem, couldn't get the windows CD to start up first (I normally have a desktop comp), but then somebody gave me the golden tip:

if you press "C" when turning on a laptop computer, it will boot from the CD drive.

then I could just reinstall, and the problem was solved...

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

PoiToimember
41 posts

Posted:
humm

The "Unmountable boot volume" most likely means your boot sector is shot...

anyway, if you have a boot disc (a floppy that contains just what the computer needs to boot up in DOS, you should put that in and it will boot up from the Floppy. (If you dont have one it's easy to get one or jsut make one, put a blank disk in a computer that works, and then go to format it and check the box that says "create bootable disc" or whatever it syas)

anyway, once you boot from the disc there will just be a little blinking line, type in
C:\

and then type
fixboot

and then restart.

that SHOULD help...

270 posts

Posted:
Thank you everyone for your help and ideas. I myself am an incompetent f00l and should not be allowed to have anything as sophisticated as a Calculator or better. Through sheer exasperation I tried just about everything. I got it sorted though. I managed to boot from the CD drive, and everything's peachy. Cheers.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Wow, good timing!

I was just thinking of posting a thread about people asking for help and not saying thank you - not really directed at you, but there are times when people have helped someone and then they never hear from them again.

Anyway, you've stoped me doing it for now!

biggrin

Glad your computers up and running again!

hug

270 posts

Posted:
Cheers Sym. I understand why anyone'd get kinda irritated by offering help and not getting any thanks. That trouble really (nah I won't say thems naughty words) me off though. I had vital Coursework which needed to be in and I had to re-rype some of it. Thank gods for backing up on Flash Drive.

But don't moan about the ignorant people. Take it in good humour. Not everyone's polite.

It was a bit of a combination of PoP's and your advice, can't remember how I sorted it out. I think it was just random button bashing.

thankx hug