Page:
SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
A quick search turned up nothing...

at 8 AM some offshore telemarketer called me, waking me up begging for money. It's now 9:47. And I haven't slept more than 45 minutes at a stretch since Sunday.

So, umm, anyone got a good cure for insomnia that doesn't involve booze, drugs, or puns on ones "dogs" being tired?

Socks

Edit add : 9:53 AM, and ANOTHER telemarketer called. Answered the phone "You have 20 seconds to improve my mood." They didn't even talk to me, they hung up. Cranky puppies have no humor on the phone....

EDITED_BY: Socks (1110902409)

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I tend to sleep it off.

There's an old Shaolin Monk breathing technique, that will have you sleeping as fitfully as a babe. They used it as it completely refreshes your body's strength and upon waking your energy feels fully replenished. It is a recommended technique for warriors, but also for anyone who seeks greater health or fitful sleep.

The bad new is... I can't seem to find where I heard it described. tongue

I'll hunt around if you like.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I actually used Flash Fire's technique from the previous page.

Worked like a charm. smile

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
As a child I had frequent nightmares and problems going to sleep, which is when I developed my own techniques:

1) body awareness: I started "scanning" my body, whilst lying in bed, starting from toes up, relaxing every individual muscle that I could sense.

2) visualisation: when I was lying in bed with eyes closed I could still see patterns floating around. Perhaps it's just a delayed reception or whatever, dunno. So I started to pick a colour or spot and visualised to dive right into it... like with an ultrafractal (*see below) the same or similar pattern would emerge again (in a different form), which is when I picked the same colour to dive into and into and into and into...

As a version of this was picking the darkest spot (as the colour and patterns have been keeping me awake) and dive into it, eliminating the patterns one by one and do the same with the upcoming patters thereafter.

Non-Https Image Link

Insomnia to me has been terrifying, cause time seems to creep like a snail in the desert, whilst the mind is not stopping to race like Formula 1. I developed my techniques as a child of maybe 8yrs and used them so that today, going to bed and falling asleep usually is separated by ... chrrrr...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

la_genieBRONZE Member
73 posts

Posted:
I have had insomnia for years, it got to the point that i just gave up and switched to a over night job and life, but it sucked cus im a single mom.... I did that for years... and in the last 6 months i have moved to the country... a small town, and now i sleep all night and wake up all refreshed.... its really odd... but... i digress, when i was having trouble sleeping, pitch black room with white noise, usually a fan and a very mild (im very scent sensitive) lavender and rosemary scent.
Genie

Be aware, the evil flowers may eat your toes....
Have no friends not equal to yourself...
Feed your mind, read a book

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I seem to remember another thread about this lying around somewhere, but ironically I need to go to sleep now, so I'll look some other time.

The earplugs idea pretty much cured my insomnia. I realised I was noise sensitive, and I have worn earplugs to bed every night for the last 4 years. Alone in bed or not! I don't find they hurt my ears at all. At first maybe they felt a bit foreign, but I'm so used to them now, I feel naked in bed without them. I use the foam ones rather than wax/plastic ones, and make sure you follow the instructions of rolling them between your fingers to squish them first.

Some people are more light sensitive. Black out blinds or eye masks are good for that.

I find that sometimes sharing a bed with someone else makes sleeping particularly difficult.

As for your mind racing, I find this happens more, the more tired I get. I now actually set an alarm for me to go to bed, an hour before I need to go. At this point I make sure I switch off my computer, and put everything away etc. I find that this definately helps, its very important to get into a routine. I also do a lot of strenous excersize during the week, and I think it helps, although occasionally it makes me really hyper instead, if the class is late at night.

When I was younger and my Mum was very ill, I suffered from insomnia fairly badly, I couldn't get to sleep until after 4am quite often, and had to get up for school at 7am. I remember it being painful to be awake, let alone to do anything, so I really sympathise with you all. I think part of the problem is you can start to get really worried that you'll never sleep again, or sleep properly, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Often the answer is to reduce stress within your lifestyle if possible.

A couple of other little tips I've found have worked, which I think already been mentioned, are concentrating on your breathing, let your mind start to wonder. I noticed that when I'm about to drop off to sleep, my mind quite quickly flicks from one thought to another, so if I notice myself doing this, I tell myself its because I'm about to go to sleep, which serves to relax me and not get stressed about my mind racing. Sounds a bit strange, but it seems to work.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well I'm at work, I have insomnia, and the orgasm trick isn't an option.

*Sigh*

-Mike

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
If you're at work, the insomnia shouldn't be a problem either - as long as you're not a government employee that is.

wink

Try the breathing patterns and instead of conditioning yourself with "I can't sleep", try conditioning yourself with "I'm getting more and more tired"... something like self-hypnosis...

Good luck

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

firestartedGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
I really struggle with sleep. frown

For me, it's often just down to making compulsive decisions late at night, e.g. checking my mail and using StumbleUpon for hours, drinking anything caffinated after 7pm, chasing women hug wink etc etc

I get acupuncture every week to aid relaxation (I get all the points in my ears and the 4 gates) works a charm. I use breathing exercises and guided meditation CD's from the Sri Chinmoy centers.

I will sleep for around 6 hours when I do get to sleep. my main problem is I can end up staying up late, binging on caffine to get through the day and then finding myself too alert at bed time even when I've been exercising.

It's extreme but when I occasionally get like that trying to stay awake until the next reasonable bedtime (10/11) by pulling an all-nighter forces me to sleep. Then if I keep onto it I can get a normal pattern back.

Here's a little trick I use:
Turn the volumes on your PC's speakers to the max. I use iTunes to play meditation tunes with the volume at 3%, this is for relaxing to sleep at night. I have Winamp open with a playlist of Sepultura and System of a Down and the volume set to 100%. I've downloaded an alarm clock plug-in for Winamp and I set that at the time I wanna get up.

The beauty of the above is that I can chill out to sleep and the volume of the meditation music is low enough to sleep; yet Roots Bloody Roots at 6.45am could wake the dead.

My main problem is I'm always getting invited to spin for my friends Psytrance gigs on Friday or Saturday nights {it's a hard knock life...} and then it's caffine and chasing women again... ruining my lovely sleeping pattern. It's a vicious cycle.

My sleep issues are based around my behaviour wink, not necessarily based on an inability to sleep provided I'm looking after my diet, schedule etc.

I hope this has been of some use. ubbrollsmile

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
Have you tried sleeping at a different time of the day?

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I slept a grand total last night of...

...not a bleedin' wink. I laid there in various positions with my eyes closed from midnight to 05:15, when I had to get up.

And now I'm awake and so sleepy... Coffee and adrenaline will get me through this day.

-Mike

Dragon_Drafinmember
51 posts

Posted:
Okay very late in posting, but its the end of the day and I can't leave for another 3 minutes.... if you were a cartoon I'd hit you over the head with a frying pan. As you arnt, I have no assistance for you... sorry frown

CaffeinatedKatieGOLD Member
Teacher, Dancer, Artist, and General Smartass
149 posts

Posted:
This will probably just reiterate other's comments, but I feel it's still worth mentioning...
problems with light-- black out blinds or eye masks, like PricklyLeaf said
quieting your mind (I'll stay up with racing thoughts sometimes...) --a habit of reading before bed, meditation, quiet music (I like cellos)
herbal route -- valerian root and melatonin
warm boozy route -- hot toddy (hot water, rum, spoon of suger. purrrrr)
good luck and sweet dreams!

Page: