LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
did a search for this but couldn't find anything. was wondering about the construction of a fire umbrella, thought it would probably involve lots of kevlar rope attached to the frame of the umbrella... Any ideas/thoughts/images?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about this the other day when I was yet another dear umbrella dropped by the road side. Grrrrrr litter makes me mad!

I thought if you take a fairly sturdy umbrella frame and weave Kevlar wick in and out of the spokes it might work. You might need to stitch them in place. you're going to need a fairly big fuel can to soak it though and you might want to make the umbrella handle a little bit longer.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
been done.

te pooka: caberet sautare video. ;-)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
In that didn't they just put wicks around the ends of the spokes? I might be wrong. I was thinking of making like a fully covered over umbrella type of thing..... I'm not sure if it would work. It would probably get too hot..... hmmmm... Have to think about this more carefully.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
you could interweave wick between the spokes of the umbrella and to finish it off put a monkey fist knot at the top!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Oooo nice finishing touch!

Just how hot is it going to get underneath this umbrella and wouldn't it have a huge risk of dripping flames onto you if you over soaked it? How would you spin off excess fuel? If you could put a fire proof layer that didn't absorb fluid under the kevlar the excess fuel would drip off the edges and come down like little flame raindrops. You would have to be sure to make it wide enough for you to stand entirely under it so the drops don't fall on you.......

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
It wouldnt be hot...mainly cos heat rises.

and... If you twirl the umberella round a la Gene Kelly Singing in the rain, you may get some seriosuly impressiveburn offs.

But if your spin it off, you wont get any burning dripping parafin.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I was kind of hoping to spin it off without flicking fuel all over the place but I guess you are right and that would be the only way to do it.

Is there such a thing as non-absorbent fire proof fabric?

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
i'd prefer a fire umbrella that stops fire, so that i can go outside even during an apocalypse biggrin

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Been done lots.

Kevlar at the ends of each spoke.
Covered in chicken wire and woven with wicking.
With wired wicking to make a spiral.
With sheets of wicking to make a solid (btw, this was *not* a good idea)

Hope this helps! wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Midget_with_a_stickmember
31 posts

Posted:
Fire Fan sounds awesome!!! def gna try and make one, do u no if they sell wick at 'oddballs' in camden??? Also would it work if i got a normal umbrella took of the waterproof stuff and weaved wick in between spokes???

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official Vegetarian Burger Tester

juggle

Whats the worst thing i could say?

For all the wounds that are never gonna scar me

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: sparkey!

i'd prefer a fire umbrella that stops fire, so that i can go outside even during an apocalypse biggrin

now THAT would be useful, i propose we make it out of lead... but start training now so that you are able to lift it...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
Yesh, or perhaps have some sort of water tank and a fountain arangement to keep a sheet of water between you and the riders and flames at all times. Untill the resiovior runs out anyway...

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
I've made a fire ubrella: her name was Emily.
Wicking up the shaft, out along each spoke and a circle at the outer edge with a smaller circle towards the center.
Dunked her shookher off lit her up and pressed the button (she was a popup umbella)
Shee looked amazing.....for about 5 seconds... then things started to go wrong.

The metal that makes up the spokes is usually fairly flimsy, this helps keep the weight down,but when the flames begin to lick at this metal they heat it up- causing it to flex and eventually bend.
Downwards.
Towards my head.

Another interesting thing about umbrellas these days is that they often have plastic used in their construction, sometimes where you can't see it!
this was the case with Emily. The spokes joined to the stem at two points, one above the other, and when the top points (due to the greater stress at this point) gave way the spokes began to swing down towrds my head. devil making for an interesting little dance and drop routine.

And by the way UCOF it most definitly WAS hot under there, most of the heat did rise due to convection but there was more than enough radiating downwards to make me more than a little uncomfortable!

Alas poor Emily - she burned not long but all too well....... wink

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
:whimper:

Good effort though Martin biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

TyrGOLD Member
Simplicity Convoluter & Cabbage Friend
126 posts
Location: In the shadow of the wolf (somewhere over melbourn...

Posted:
The big’ish beach umbrellas are good - relatively strong frame and no plastic joins cos wind is always bad down there.
They’ve also got relatively long handles that gives you a bit of distance from the flames (I wanted a curvy handle so I could do cane tricks but opted for the longer option instead – less singed hair wink ). – They’re just a little expensive to buy is the only real downside.

P.s. Joins are looser too once you remove the fabric so the arms flop around a bit but spinning momentum keeps them mostly in place. (Can be fixed with some wire reinforcing but it messes with the fun opening and closing stuff you can do…If your doing solid Kevlar or spiral this won’t matter anyway)

Have fun with Emily-mark-2. ubbrollsmile

“What are you creatures of Fantastica? Dreams, poetic inventions, characters in a neverending story.”
Gmork
‘The Neverending Story’

Midget_with_a_stickmember
31 posts

Posted:
has anyone actually made a working fire umbrella yet? or any improvements from your last attempt squarefish???

juggle

Whats the worst thing i could say?

For all the wounds that are never gonna scar me

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
watch this
cabaret saute
fire umbrellas featured within.
Still haven't got round to making one yet.... sooo many iideas, so little time *sigh* rolleyes

but then, at least I am living up to my name.... biggrin

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well... at least half of it. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
yeah I've got to admit I'm having trouble with thw whole 'wings and halo' thing... one day, one day....

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Would you mod the umbrella in any way? Make the spokes go out and upwards (instead of downward) shorten or lengthen the handle? Or perhaps straighten the spokes so they are in a horizontal position. I cant really imagine anything shapedl ike an umbrella looking good lol

Just seen the pooka vid, those huge ones look abit ungainly, now if they where shortend they would take less effort to spin and you could do alot more things with em, and wuld be much cooler.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
it would be crap at stopping the rain

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
Could you make one using the same big frame but line the spokes with kevlar rope?

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in to stop my mind from wandering....

TheScientistBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
could you get a wooden framed umbrella/make a wooden frame umbrella and then wrap it in foil or something before wicking it?

just a thought smile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
maybe, but it would have to be something a lot stronger than foil

TheScientistBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
yeah, that's something I wondered... maybe **insert non-flammable strong product here** would work better wink

Saskeahmember
43 posts

Posted:
Fire brella...

I really like that. I enjoy the frame idea like in that video, but at the same time I think it'd look nicer if it was more clearly an umbrella and not just spokes, you know?

I always enjoyed the idea of an umbrella as a prop. Particularly a skeletal one.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
A Japanese style umbrella would prob work best simple design and a lot easier to replace bits with metal spokes or cover them in thin sheet metal like how you protect the ends of wooden staff’s

Modern umbrella are far to week and feeble and wont stand the heat

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)