Forums > Videos > making things smaller (divX settings)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
right, more begging in the video forum from coleman redface

this time, i'd like some compression advice please ubbangel

have been playing around with some old (and some new) footage recently but every time i try rendering a movie (with a soundtrack), i can't seem to end up with a file any smaller than about 700mb.

i've seen some great videos around at a decent quality but with file sizes that are acceptable for net distribution.

if anyone that has produced a video and trudged through the quagmire that is video compression would be so kind as to give me a few tips on what settings i should be using then i might even release a video (i've only been threatening for about 2 years now wink)...

anyway, here are some details:

what i'm using: adobe premiere pro 1.5 & divx5.11
what i've got (well 'will have' if you want to split hairs): 7 minute edited video of firespinning (mostly black background) with music
what i want to do: render to an avi or mpeg, creating a file ~30-80mb in size
what i need: suggestions of how to set up divX to best compress this type of footage and which settings i should/can tweak to get better results
what i really would like to avoid: dropped frame rate, pixellation and interlacing
what would be the absolute ideal: an example of a video using the settings you described

if anyone's up for the challenge i'd be very grateful smile

thank-you ubbrollsmile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
erm please do a search on WMV video conversion. there are programs that can cleanly convert from this compact but lossy format. you don't get much choice as Micro$oft want to restrict doing so and have threatened developers that provide such tools

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
cool, thanks, i will it a try.... if it works my video will be online soon biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
.. and if it doesn't, i'll release that cage of angry monkies dangling precariously above my head!
:firmly grips release rope:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

1,643 posts

Posted:
gah... might as well release the monkeys, that video will not be online anytime soon as the source files for premiere were deleted and so i can't re-export with this DiVx thingymajig because the video is not there!!

I do have two copies though, the mpeg and a .m2v file... if i squash that one with this programme, will it come out really really shitty??!

confused2

1,643 posts

Posted:
I'm back.... DivX... is a seperate format? or so i understand...? is it wise to use it a lot if say for example you had vague plans to produce an online portfolio type thing that may or may not include video depending on how well i get the hang of this malarkey? Or....

what i am currently doing is testing the ability of windows media encoder to convert my (formerly .m2v, now...) .VOB file into WMV so that it compresses and can be broadcast on the web (as i noticed a lot of downloadable vids are .wmv) so hopefully the quality will be reasonably ok as it seems to be on a lot of others... what do people feel about this format compared to the divX?

is this the right thread or should i post a new one?

ARGH!! videos!! (i've spent a lot of time on www.videohelp.com today, and it's f*cked me up even more... *insert frustrated head banging smiley here*)

oh yes, and this is offcially the fourth programme i have tried today for this purpose... better bloody work. and that was only after repeated attempts to build a dvd with adobe encore only for it to go through all the motions and not record anything... do people who work with video regularly go insane?? *sigh* rant over...

Page: