Forums > Help! > Which LED poi? (have searched)

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm just looking for a general opinion here really. I've looked into the various types available in the HoP show and the balls-u-like ones, and came to the following conclusions:
Beaming Balls are really good to spin, have a long battery time and take AA batteries which is really cheap and convenient. However, they are very dangerous and can cause injury if they hit you in the wrong place.
Globugs are cheap, cheerful and light, too light for some. They take batteries which aren't so easy to get hold off (well, you have to send away) and can break fairly easily when they impact at higher speeds.
Balls-U-Like Raibow Strobes smell really nice and leave cool - if a little bit gimmicky - trails. They can turn themselves off a bit too easily on impact and occasionally even spill their batteries in a bag or pocket (personal experience!). Again, you have to send away fro batteries (generally).
If you disagree with anything I've said, please correct me! But I'd really love to invest in some and to be honest, these are the only ones I can find enough info about to consider. My budget isn't massive and these all seem to have pretty much equal pros and cons. What's your opinion, and why? You'll save me millions in glowstick funds wink biggrin

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Aerotech's

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

peles_paynimSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
wow...synchronicity...ummm..i really like the quantum leashes on www.neonhusky.com...if you get the deflectors, they are reasonably durable....they're not for doing anything you're not confident with, but the effect is amazing...

real eyes
realize
real lies

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I've found the glowbugs to be pretty durable little beasts..I've hit them against eachother, and even bounced one off of a hard wooden chair once, and they're still intact. I hesitate to take them out in cold weather, though. And if you want to add weight, some people here have attached shorter cord loops and hung them off of their chains instead if using the long cord leashes that come standard.

Neon husky also offers glowballs- I don't own a set of these yet, but I've heard good things..they're similar to beaming poi, but softer for pain free spinning. They do take a funny battery though, but you can order more through their site, or if you're willing to pay more, buy locally. I believe they use some kind of watch-type battery or something like that.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
u left out streetlights too

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
glo-toobs are a winner as far as I am concerned. you can take a hammer to those little beasts and they don't care at all. they are also quite cmpact, very bright, and run for a long time off of cheap batteries.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
I've got the beaming poi from HOP, and they were great originally, but fairly soon ( +- 10 hours spinning time ) a couple of the lights stopped working. I took them apart, and the solder had come undone, which is simple to fix if you have a soldering gun, but nearly impossible if you dont. Sigh, maybe one day...

Oh, and you are right, they hurt like all hell when they hit you.

I'm curious as to the rainbow things that smell nice?? Is that an actual sales point, or just a happy coincidence?

Don't worry, be happy...

cainebabymember
32 posts

Posted:
i think i'm gonna try and make some led poi myself, i have no clue how, but i'm gonna reaserch it and learn different types. maybe use some xmas tree lights or something, well, thats the kind of effect i want to creat if you know what i mean...

...any hints from others well appreciated, what was, oh, nevermind! doesn't matter!
confused confused confused confused

what kind of victory is it when someone is left defeted?

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
bjbhvgcgf

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Ooops! Sorry.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
you can delete posts you know... wink

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
just bought some streetlights from flowtoys as they come w/ extra shielding etc... ptreyy big but tough smile and you can replace the streetlights fairly cheaply biggrin

back

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: cainebaby

i think i'm gonna try and make some led poi myself, i have no clue how, but i'm gonna reaserch it and learn different types. maybe use some xmas tree lights or something, well, thats the kind of effect i want to creat if you know what i mean...

...any hints from others well appreciated, what was, oh, nevermind! doesn't matter!
confused confused confused confused

Try these-

https://www.geocities.com/combatunicycle/electrosock/electrosock.html

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Gone the DIY route. It's cheaper, and they can do a lot more, depending how much time you can put into designing and building them.

Mine are well past the stage of making aerotechs look pants. Everything is under wraps till Falmouth though wink

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Now I REALLY want to go to Falmouth. Take lots of LED pics out there for those of us unable to attend.

I'm not so sure the DIY route is cheaper, I probably could have purchased multiple LED poi sets for the cost of the parts I used. Still, it was well worth it to get the intensity I wanted, not to mention the experience.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
If I had the money I would buy three Aerotech juggling balls and use nets to swing two as poi that way you cal alternate colours and also have quality juggling balls

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
i haven't seen them around in a while, but I got the rainbow glowbugs a while back. Not bad, durable, but not all to bright. The rainbow version and the normal ones are different, but mayber im just prejudiced aginst them.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

ArythSILVER Member
in a beautiful daze....
134 posts

Posted:
I've got Globalz and they're ok but a bit long so i've had to chop and change a bit, search LED poi on ebay and quite a few come up cheap!

Whatever happened to my green and pleasant land?

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
I like Tobi's Torch poi

Sock poi with Led torches shining up towards your hands its like having lil white sticks to spin plus you always have a torch!!

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

b3xBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
Aryth, I've found some glowbalz on e-bay and concidering getting them. Other than the fact they were long were there any other major problems with them?
Thanks!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I've had globugs ( about 5" long) for years and never needed to change the batteries.
I also have longer ones (glotubes?).. about 10" with different colour lights each end. Nice, heavier. All globugs are durable and of course hurt if you wack yourself whilst spinning fast. I've just avbout taken out teeth! (That's what pracitce poi are for!)

My current faves are double decker rainbow ones from Nocturnal Sunshine in Melbourne (they have a website but don't mention products.. they only make a few)
There's some photos in Gita's gallery; one has both a Gooble Warming glotube AND Nocturnal's amazing rainbows: bargain!)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

mysticredBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
don't get globalz, theres a thread on here about them [Old link] . we bought some and they break easily, looked ok but they aren't very well designed...just a warning to anyone thinking of buying some smile
EDITED_BY: mysticred (1122310663)

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Well enjoypoi.co.uk has a reasonable shop, Ive just orderd some glow poi not 10 mins ago they arrive in 2 to 5 working days so I can see what there like when I get them.

heres a link https://enjoypoi.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/21_30/products_id/54

I think there a reasonable price, hope they are worth it ^_^

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Woolworths mood balls in net sacks as soon as I find some net sacks

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Written by: LazyAngel

...as soon as I find some net sacks

Just use those net bags that you put washing detergent tablets in. Does the job nicely i find.

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
ditto Or you can now get fishnet ankle socks...... take a look around markets. You'll find them on the sock stalls.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
hmmm well I said ide say what they where like...

there pretty good, only one of the nets is fraying (and thats only slightly) I have strobing ones (red green blue) and there white with the led's inside the balls things surrounded in little beads things... there a good weight but abit long but thats completly down to the bags there put in, why cant they just attach to the string *sigh*

There ok, biggest failing is everyone elses seemed to brake lol, oh and they are invisible during day light so...im ognna have to get a different kind for day use :P

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Aerotechs are my personal fave. but they are heavy and the glow section quite long (and expensive)...all a matter of choice really. and what colours / effects your after.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.