Forums > Other Toys > Sword move list PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
JeunauBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
Please help me with sword. i d a martial art but we dont do loads of sword and i searched around on the net and found one thing. i need help. if anyone has or is making a move list please tell me. helphelphelp

the time has come to talk of many things of shoes and ships and sealing wax, cabbages and kings.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Why don't you ask bender ?. He's the only guy that i know that does any fire sword moves.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
no way go rent some chinese kung fu movies! jet li! tsui hark! don't try to learn this through text when there's masters to watch!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ditto If you can't find a good teacher in person!

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
I not know much about fire swords but am learning sword types, and would imagine learning some traditional sword cuts would be a good start. Lots of groups around who train.
Failing that, there are some good books on swordsmanship - lots on amazon.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

Mugetsumember
74 posts

Posted:
The real question is what kind of sword you are using. Katana? Jian? Dao? Flamberge? Longsword? Sabre? Please, enlighten us all.

Is it hot in here, or was I just engulfed in flames?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
heaping any martial arts movements on a list would be of limited help without an explanation as to the context of their use.

it's like trying to bake a cake and all u got is a list of ingredients and no preparation instructions.
ps meow.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

JeunauBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
im currently using a katana/ bokken. i do martial arts but we havent really moved ontop sword stuff, yeah illl try and look for other sword techniques in other martial arts. thaNKS. BENDER IF YOU HAVE ANY MOVES OF YOU OR SOMEONE DOING FIRE SWORD please send them to me.

the time has come to talk of many things of shoes and ships and sealing wax, cabbages and kings.

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
if you dont mind could someone also send me a list for sword moves, or maybe even double sword moves.

i started a thread a while ago, and all people said was to look at forms really

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

JeunauBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
i would be good to get a twirling list not combat.

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
good point

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
I'd be surprised if anyone actually sent you a list of moves. Fire sword is an art that(in most cases) flows from an artistic extension of martial art(s) system.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah - I don't really think that such a list could really be written...
I mean, short of writing down the names of the cuts (which wouldn't be very helpful) or giving a really in depth analysis of their execution which would take hours.

If you've not learned sword techniques yet in your martial arts lessons, but are going to move on to it - I would strongly suggest not really learning anything until then, as you'll probably pick up lots of bad habits.

Katana (from what I've seen), as well as Northern-style Kung Fu work with Tan Tow/Dao or Shuang Tow/Dao (Broadsword & Double Broadsword - which I studied) aren't particularly effective fire props, as they're much more erm "practical" in their method - i.e Cut this persons arm off or block this move, cut their ankle off then jam your sword into their rib and slice...

The more "show-y" sword styles like Wu-Shu are more appropriate - but to be honest, you might as well learn lots of poi or club swinging and do the moves holding a sword(s).

But the best course of action is to study the appropriate martial arts to a level where you are taught it properly.

All meat but no bones, doth not a healthy body make (or something along those lines)
smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
What do u use a saber or a rapier???

Here is a list of broadsword exercises

Or saber exercises

Hope that helps

wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
fire rapier was the first thing I tried, not very show worth imo. Thrust based system and all that. I will argue some japanese forms do look good with fire, most notably ni-ten-ichi-ryu(of course he would say that wink ), but again it's an interpretation of the movements, adding wasted movements and such.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks for that. The old club swingers included a lunge or two in their routines.

cool

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
why dont you try ishnu??? phillipino knife and stick fighting...
ive ordered 2-1m long scimitars and im going to be using them in the ishnu style...
its just like using a long machete....but...on fire umm
or if you want to be really showy, and your willing to practice the needed 5hours a day you should def. check out the double broadsword techniques in Wu-Shu

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Ishnu style? Scimitars in filipino knife and stick fighting? Can you post a link, please. Are you sure its not an Indonesian style? Hmmm, maybe something the Moros did in the Southern Phillipines?

Cheers!

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
In all honesty, you could do a lot worse than watching the demos in Soulcalibur... Certainly helped me. =)

Oh, and google for an art called Iaido.

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
First spend a week watching kung fu films.

Then holding a stick, or better two, picture in your minds eye two assailants attacking you in slo-mo. Make whatever movements seem appropriate. As you gain some familiarity with this process increase the speed and/or number of assailants.

Investigate this technique thoroughly.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

Sphearmember
60 posts

Posted:
Check this site out, the video gatka mix tape vol. 2 is all about sikh hindu sword work, phenomenal stuff! Great for fire sword!!!

https://www.gatkaonline.com/
juggle

Everything meets in the center...

neon__lightsnewbie
7 posts

Posted:
You know what you need to do? Rent a video game called 'Soul Caliber' (2 or 3, 3 would be best). Watch the weapon demonstrations those guys do. Other then the occasional surge of lightning to show intense damage, everything in the weapon demos is an acctual marital arts-ine demonstration. Should you be too old or impatient for said video-game based idea, find your local neighborhood video-game wizard and have him show you. Odds are, he already has all of them...
EDITED_BY: neon__lights (1144361186)

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
In Soulcalibur 2, Nightmare's style looks really cool with a big flaming sword. Hopefully I'll have some photos soon...

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Actually there are videos of soul caliber online. As I recall, there was a site where you could pick any two characters and search for videos containing fights between them. Then you can slow them down at your leisure and extract whatever you want.

Which is nice because you can pick up the basics of at least 4 or 5 sword forms this way, two or three staff forms, nunchakus, stupid-Voldo-weapons-things (hehe), etc.

I actually learned a lot of nunchaku stuff this way... the only thing is if your thinking COMBAT styles this won't teach you propper defense styles for your partner...

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
:O a URL would be great there i8!!!!! sounds like a perfect site

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I have a bokken from about 3 years ago which I haven't used for a while. Whenever I see 'Swords' mentioned I always assume people always specifically mean fireswords. Would say I'm vaguely competent using them but could be crap as I haven't actually sparred with anyone using them.

Also have a pair of Sai Daggers with which I have reached a plateau on what the hell to do with them. Although I doing think I could've started doing poi had the use of Sai Daggers not prepared me with enough wrist flexibility...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

malakBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
hay what I started with was the tv series "Highlander"
the different showy moves and all kinds of styles of MA and swords.
Hope this helps

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
well I can give you a quick summary on the possibilities of sword moves but theres a snag...

I've done a fair share of martial arts and for sword play wise...you need 2 elements

1)sword /s
2) martial art moves which combine with the sword play

such techniques may be as simple as a series of reverse jumping axe kicks with the arms extended + swords.(id show you if i could post a movie)....actually i might..soon but ill do it with a staff:D

for still techniques you could do:
weaves
helicopters
alternating butterfly (behind the back and body)

as with fire sword play much of the technique list can be taken from poi moves....except for a few...obviously.

and as a precaution id advise using wooden training weapons 1st to simply get the rythm and also shorter swords are better as theyre lighter and you can do more moves that are not possible with longer swords...yes I know every one wants a gigantic flaming sword....but be realistic...waving a piece of flaming steel takes concentration and stamina....

for a martial art reference, I recommend that you take a look at some "wushu" (chinese martial arts) videos off the internet to get the feel for such techniques...obviously I'm gonna stress...PLEASE PLEASE do not try anything that you are physically incapable of!

have fun and good luck...peace

I give hope to others but I keep none for myself.

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
just put up a short (24 sec!) .avi vid in divx on my

gallery

In the vid, I'm practicing for a show, in costume, with double fire broadswords. Technique is a bit of wushu, but mostly made up.
EDITED_BY: howwoward (1148204487)

Sometimes, you just have to believe.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*bump*

or is there another sword move thread?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted: