JarvizBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
As a resident of Sweden I'm not unacustomed to cold weather but since I'm fairly new to fire staff I've never tried spinning it in the kind of cold weather we get here. In late december the temperature often drops below -20 degrees centigrade. I've tried to imagine what might be a problem, I'm guessing that it might be harder to start a flame and maintain it. Also, I have no idea how the fuel will behave at such a low temperature.

Does anyone else have any experience with this kind of extreme cold and fire twirling? All help is greatly appreciated.

Jarviz

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
The day we performed our frist fire show was the only day of snow we had in bristol last year. The main problem we had was lighting equitment takes ages and you need more heat then a standard lighter give off. Admittedly it was probably only about -2 but that's quite cold enough for me and recenly i've become even more wimpy and don't intend to light up this winter

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
meg has a cool mini gas blow torch thingy u can get them from hardware stores apparently they get off a nice big blue flame at the click of a button and will get ur sticks a lit

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

JarvizBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Hmm... Yeah, a good gas light might be required. I had another idea though, what about lighting the wicks indoors and taking them outside. I realise the dangers of fuel-heavy wicks being lit indoors but maybe if I did it in a garage or some place with a concrete floor?

Jarviz

SparkToFireGOLD Member
5 posts

Posted:
I live in Ontario, Canada and OH lordy its cold here. Your best bet for spinning in cold temperatures (below freezing) is to use naptha petroleum (Camp Fuel) as your fuel. Naptha will light instantly off any open flame, and will stay lit fairly well even in extreme cold. The only draw back is that naptha evaporates quickly in the cold, so fuel and light in safe but quick succession. Any oil based fuels used in below freezing temps will be super-hard to light, and will not stay lit very long. Try to keep your fingers warm while spinning incold temps aswell, cause theres nothing worse than the pain of your fingers thawing out after a long spin.
I myself dont bother lighting up during the winter. I just try to find an indoor place to practise, and keep warm.

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
i'm mainly poi'er but i also do some staff... and i also live in sweden.

i started with both this summer and haven't been able to spin so much this winter. i'm more curios of what type of clothing you use. i mean; i like to have _some_ comfort at least smile
EDITED_BY: Disc0 (1103478505)

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

JarvizBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
I wonder what naphta petroleum is called in Swedish... I guess I'll have to do some research smile

The reason I'm doing this is that I'm going home to my parents for christmas and since I've been talking so much about fwirling I thought I'd give 'em a show.

About clothing: I was thinking just normal pants and sweater that I always wear when fwirling. Maybe some thermal underpants but I'm not planing on staying outside for very long. I've considered wearing gloves but I don't think it would work, my fingers are already pretty big, any bigger and I might have a problem spinning the staff. I guess I'll just have to ask my girlfriend to keep 'em warm wink

Jarviz

JarvizBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
*comes back after googling naphta petroleum*

Ok, it seems that the Swedish equivalent is "Kemiskt ren bensin", roughly translated: "chemically pure petrol"

Found the info at this site: https://willman.20m.com/Fuels.html

Jarviz

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
All hail the magical "thermal" it's like a magic shirt that keeps body heat in. Love them. Good for twirling in the cold and not at all bulky

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
what type of material? isn't most thermal clothing made of plasticstuff that will melt and cause severe burns?

it's you friend!

JarvizBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
I think I must have set some sort of record, yesterday evening I fwirled outside at a temperature of -18 degrees centigrade!

After five minutes my fingers were so cold that I could barely hold the staff smile

Using just lamp oil didn't work so I mixed in some petrol, worked fine even at such a low temperature.

I thought about using some sort of thermal wear but I had the same thought as Disc0, aren't those things basically made out of syntetic materials?

Jarviz

PhreakArmadanewbie
13 posts

Posted:
haha i think the coldest we've had here is about 20 degrees celcius

sux2bu guys i've never even thought about that sorta stuff

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
you can get cotton base layers for hiking in they're not too expensive, not at all bulky and you can still do all the contact you want in one biggrin

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
thx. that is in other cases a problem. i'm not good at staff, but when i try easy stuff like a regular armroll, the staff often glides off my jacket. without jacket it works perfect. i should test that out!

it's you friend!

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
it also stops you from burning your self so much as well biggrin

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

dobblerdaveSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
spinning in the cold is the pits frown i dont like it
especialy staff.. when it clips the back of your knuckles it just makes u wanna cry.. and im a manly man! *cough*
i saw somethin called a swedish fire steel...its basicly a metal stick the gives off a really high temp spark when u strike it.. like a big match? (anyone ever tried one?)

woop woop!

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
yeah, i used one on my survival exercise with the army, good for lighting fires, but i wouldnt think good for spinning, or lighting up.

lava

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
i think the sparks made are to small....
the blow torch thingy ben-ja-men mentioned is probably the best solotion if matches aren't enough. it's just like a normal lighter.. but a _bit_ of better flame...

it's you friend!

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
blowtorch lighter?

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
yeah... a good word... my english sucks.... so.... sorry... umm
am i supposed to feel guilt in some way?

it's you friend!

sureauenthusiast
224 posts

Posted:
Living in Oz, it doesn't get so cold here, so I don't have much good advice. All I can say is before you get dressed for twirling, have a warm bath with rosemary oil in it. It stimulates circulation to the peripheries and helps retain body heat. (Warning: don't use rosemary if you have high blood pressure, or if pregnant).

"Be the Bunny"

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
sounds nice... even though i'm not going to spin, maby i'm going to take a bath biggrin

it's you friend!

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Written by: Disc0

yeah... a good word... my english sucks.... so.... sorry... umm
am i supposed to feel guilt in some way?

nana in no way at all!

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good