Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
well, since this decade won't even have a suitably convinient name for it (the 00's? double oughts? the 2000's?)

The last 10 years has been like a freakisbly malfunctioned xerox of the 80's. So I think the decade 2000, which 5 years from now can only be atleast 1/2 times worse then the first 5 years should be known as the 2080's. I like this name because it suggests this decade is 26X's worse then the 80's.

But one thing we can be certain of, is that the war in terrorism will be won and the crusade apon these foul, hateful insane heathens who wish to kill us will result in global harmony.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ive heard some people call it 'the noughties,' though i doubt it will catch on.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

bairie fenlord high king of swingers *(now defunct)**(but will rise again ! !)*
165 posts

Posted:
noughties is good as it implies the reality of the world right now (everyone being a little naughty and avoiding there responsibility), but what i would really like to know and excuse my ignorance here, but how does 2080 imply that times are 26x worse now than they were in the 80's, and isn't that exactly the sort of negativty that is dragging us backwards in time ????

what was wrong with the new millenium tag that appeared around 2000, I can't help but feel we should look forwards and not back (slight parallels with the swastica arguement here?) !

lots o luv

xxx

fly fairies, fly high, fly wide and take no prisoners !!!!!!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Well, im merely reflecting on what has obviously been half of a crap decade and half of a crap other decade. Use I have a negative perspective, yes im not being much more then trying to be funny. But I really don't think there is much realism in optimism for the next 5 years, but I do look forward to the next decade as one of opportunity.

ps-I forgot about the noughties, which I have only heard once before. In a canadian/american (aka little diffrence) culture where nought isn't exactly the most common word, the noughties isn't very popular here, and probably will never be anymore popular then the 2080's.
EDITED_BY: Astar (1098770071)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ben: 2080/80=26 innit.

i've enjoyed the last 5 years.
good times, bad times, all that - but i lived my life and made my own choices.
and i'm still smiling smile

why write off the next five years...?

or were you talking on a global scale?
in which case i don't reckon this decade is 26 times worse than the 80's but it still ain't as big an improvement as i'd liked to have seen.

world leaders; must try harder.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
My personal enjoyment of life is largely independent of the crappiness of my surroundings.

165 posts

Posted:
[censored] at maths ! have hope and vision for the next decade, refuse to believe anything has been truly bad and that things can only get better.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
That's a pretty impressivley thought out idea Astar! But yeah, I agree. The only good thing to come out of the 80s, apart from me and my lady, is Back To The Future.

You have to admit it.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

165 posts

Posted:
isn't it dependant on where you were in the 80's and what was happening there?

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
hey. i came out of the 80's. so did the xf falcon, the vk commodore, some good wines, lots of other cool stuff biggrin

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Written by: bairie fen

isn't it dependant on where you were in the 80's and what was happening there?

absolutely not - music and fashion in the 80's rule out any good thing ever to have come out of them (obviously excluding some rather nice people)

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Such as me.

smile

poiromaniacBRONZE Member
97 posts

Posted:
i came out of the 80's with a disturbing love for duran duran, and now they have come back, wot tha? ubbloco

oh, and ridiculas big hair!

* people who dont like cats were probably mice in an earlier life *

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
mmm i found the most disturbing thing of the 80's was the music and fashion world. it tried to make a minor comeback but thank god that was nipped in the bud...*shudder* and just to set the record straight I was was the best thing to come out of the eighties. wink

Always Beautiful

This_EnergyBRONZE Member
173 posts

Posted:
wow. my question though is why worry about what the future will be called. im not insulting yall at all. i just think we should worry about the name when that time actually comes. o well. dont be pissed at me.

I start it, I end it,
I kill and words will defend it.
Got big plans,
blood stained hands
Wanna put my name on the map.
On my way to save the world.
-Missionary, Operation Ivy

Zekenewbie
6 posts

Posted:
hmmm...2080...do you think mullets will make a comeback?

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Written by: Zyanya Bella

mmm i found the most disturbing thing of the 80's was the music and fashion world. it tried to make a minor comeback but thank god that was nipped in the bud...*shudder* and just to set the record straight I was was the best thing to come out of the eighties. wink

I think it never went away.. it just concealed it's self really nicely.

Also, what should we worry about? Im tired of worrying about important things.

Zekenewbie
6 posts

Posted:
what should you worry about?
why don't you live in irrational fear of getting sued for patent violation for swinging on a swing sideways? wink

https://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/3084451.htm