NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've been a bit of a firespinning diplomat in the Glowstick crowd recently, trying to learn and translate as much as I can from the very unique glowstick world.

One of the move sets that I've only seen a little bit (by Dom and Elasta) is something that the glowkids have been doing for a while.

If you stop spinning your sock poi for a minute and grab the end of the poi with the opposite hand OR catch it in an air wrap, you're currently holding a ball and a 'strap' in each hand. This means that you're holding the poi but your hands are fixed together by the length of the poi.

Now you can do funky things where you contort your body around the fact that you've got your hands 'tied' together with a 2 foot leash.

The ravers have always called these distortions "Gumbys" because it kind of makes you look a bit like Gumby when you're trying to get out of them.

Some of them translate from Staff moves where you can step over the staff or otherwise contort your body around a staff without letting go.

I've seen Elasta do a few of them during the summer.

If you download and watch a few of the Techno Turtle videos (put up by Shoc) you will see more than a few gumbys.

I'll put some up once I figure out how to explain them but I did want to let those of you already trying them to know that you should definitely check out the glowkids. They've been gumbying for years. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

angelblue

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
So what's the difference between a "gumby" and a "mind game"?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
this is gumby to me:
Non-Https Image Link

although i think americans will know this one better:
Non-Https Image Link

a mindgame would be something like stealing your neighbour's cat every third wednesday of the month and replacing it the next morning smelling of expensive scotch and with a random bald patch.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
ooh, can you imagine how cool, painful, difficult and dangerous those would be with fire? I wonder what transitions can be done with this, and i spose, with a fairly cold fuel, like kero, it wouldnt hurt for a while.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Gumbys are different than mind games. I was told that mind games are a vast section of moves that encompas any string manipulation.

Gumbys are specifically keeping the strings at full length and contorting the body to look like gumby.

According to that definition, I only know a few gumbys and no mind games...yet.

I also know, from chatting with the glow crew, that the naming system of glow moves is even more regional and arbitrary than poi moves. smile
EDITED_BY: NYC (1096313192)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
In addition... there are tracers, where the glowsticks are dragged across the body. I think some are confusing neck tracers with mind games.

I'm still a glowstick newbie but I do believe there is a difference.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Im pretty sure mind games refers to any glow string move that isnt spinning related. This includes gumbys, traces, tutting, liquid, color swaps, etc.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nice one dudes smile

whats 'tutting' icon?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I actually do some stuff like this with fire, albiet very quickly. I do an airwrap and grab the poi heads as mentioned, jump over it, release, and turn 90 degrees in to a BTB weave. I'm sure there's tons of other variations and good quick stuff that is fire friendly, but I haven't done much work with it.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

I also know, from chatting with the glow crew, that the naming system of glow moves is even more regional and arbitrary than poi moves. smile

indeed... which makes it incredibly hard at times to talk to people.. I tried compiling a list thinking that it would be easy to reference stuff.. you know like you have cross follow, weave, whatever.. but then I found that pretty much who you talk to, you have to learn their lingo.. and after a while it becomes easy to pick up on references... basically like learning one romance language and being able to pick up on words and phrases of other romance langauges..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Tutting is the shiznit Cole.

I don't know how to broadcast this but if the Contact Jugglers that I know picked up tutting they'd be friggin unbelieveable.

Cole, do yourself a favor and head over to:
www.glowsticking.com

then download a bunch of free download vids. There's one entitled "Palace of Fine Arts" in the 'freehand' (holding the sticks) section. You'll see quality tutting...

OH... wait... what is it? It's a type of popping where your hands are like they are in hyrogliphics... 'walk like an egyptian' mixed with popping.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
coleman::

tutting is one of the funk styles, heres a link that describes:

https://www.reflective.net/cgi-bin/cgiwra...0276;hl=tutting

think that bugs bunny tut cartoon, i can post it up on the web in a day or two if anyone wants. pop knowledge says it was one of the origins of tutting.

basically think hands at 90 degrees at all times.

-matt

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
Written by: MillenniuM

I'm sure there's tons of other variations and good quick stuff that is fire friendly

Mmmm.... maybe i'll keep practising with the sock poi just for now! wink

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
There's one of these I do, not sure if it's the same but it's pretty close to your definition, mid-hyperloop catch so the right head is in the right hand/left head left hand but mid tangle, I then wrap the right around my left elbow and behind so I have the poi vertical running the length of my spine, left hand at the bottom, right hand behind my head. Then continue the movement until my hands are basically the same as they started infront but behind my back. It's then dead easy to spin them out of the tangle into any move. ie BTB weave, BTB hyperloop (trickier to nail cleanly) or anthing else you can thing of, even tap backs into BTB butterfly. Looks quite cool when it goes smoothly and also if you turn in the middle of wrapping it round to BTB.

smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
*wanders in absentmindedly

I guess, speaking as the glowsticking.com rep in HoP at the moment, though wes may or may not have something to add...

it's funny to hear poists talking about glowsticking!

okay, moving on...

Cheers to NYC. I'm glad you had fun w/ our east coast kids, though I've never met any of them.

Gumby's are pretty fun, and though I'm not a big fan myself, Wil's 2004 video is probably your best example of them on gs.c. Go to the "glowstringing/poi" section of the media center to download.

Mindgames - while normally a freehand glowsticking term (where you hold the glowsticks in your hand rather than on strings) basically means anything that is a major mindf--k

I'm not sure how liberal my swearing abilities are on HoP biggrin

I've heard the term mindgames thrown around a lot. But most of the time it's to describe any series of moves that confuses the audience. ie freehand - making a glowstick disappear, and then making it reappear somewhere else. I've also had my duowraps labeled as "mindgames" but I personally don't care to much about the definitions and words. I just dance, yah know? wink

*Is a poor, stupid, worthless gs.c mod =P

Anyway, in another shameless act of self advertising, go check out my video in the "member's submitted media" section of www.glowsticking.com/gsc . It's the 2.29.04 one. It has many examples of stringing mindgames and traces (or tracers you say?)

And yes indeed, tutting is the egyptian arm pointing style dance. I have many of these crazy dance videos so if you are lazy or have questions, feel free to PM me!

~Kael

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire