Page:
thafitznewbie
8 posts

Posted:
i was just wondering what type of fuels people use when doing fire poi, what fuels last longer, and if different fuels give different effects? i use kerosene myself but i havent tried any other fuels yet. weavesmiley

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Sorry vanzie, It didn’t even register that my post would distress you spank I will try to be a bit more perceptive in the future. But like you say we are on the same side.

Those oil companie sites can be difficult to navigate. Just email them if you want any information, like for a MSDS on Shellsol, ditto with Diggers.

One important thing to remember about white gas and other volatile fuels, is that you can get “blow-back”, where if a person was stupid enough to throw petrol on a fire it would travel back up the fuel stream a ignite the container, ditto with petrol vapours. Actually the vapours are extremely dangerous, and ignite easily and can cause explosions. As my dad used to say “it’s the empty petrol drum that causes the most damage”.

Another point, and one I was caught out on and many miss, is the danger of matches and cigarette lighters in the pocket.

Eric Bagai has some good safety info at his site, and this is what he says about matches and lighter. “Book matches and cigarette lighters are standard equipment. But don't put that lighter in your pocket after lighting up. If your pants catch fire the lighter may explode. There are a number of one-legged ex-firemen who can testify to this. This applies to both butane and Zippo-type lighters. Also, use matches if you have to hold the flame above a prop's wick when lighting it. Any time a lighter is enveloped in flame it can explode.”

I just add that some plastic lighters can also explode when hit, and I suggest people read Eric's point on gasoline, paint thinner, airplane fuel under liquid fuels.

Cheers

beerchug

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Written by: Richee

. And the fuel, use Petrol smile or lamp oil smile, Poi .)

No no no no no no no no no no.

Don't use f*cking p*trol! Are you nuts?

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Richee

This is Poi forum, not technical help, for the next thread!! man
Take it next time there. And the fuel, use Petrol smile or lamp oil smile, Poi .)

It is indeed the poi moves section- however, it's about fuel and IMO was potentially confusing, especially to beginners.

As for recomending petrol, even in jest, please don't; as it is potentially dangerous to beginners who don't know better, and to those who view these threads in text only mode (ie can't see the smilies you put there).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Sorry man ,this was missunderstanding. I didnt know that petrol meens in English languege "benzin", which is the most danger fuel, hope nobody even try tto use it.
As a "petrol" a mean petroleum (kerosen,rock, paraffin iol), thats much better and for beginners I recomend lamp iol, that is the most "quite" fire light, smile R. (let me know how can I call it, Im still not sure which word to use, for fuel for lamps(I do not think lamp oli))

POI THEO(R)IST

like2danceSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
so the coleman is just in the dept store around the camping equipment? sorry for seeming kinda dense biggrin i just used my poi this weekend at a private rave my friends and i had and i just used gasoline and it made the building smell aweful for hours, does the coleman smell less or are all the fuels smelly regardless

MagikMuzik

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: like2dance

i just used my poi this weekend at a private rave my friends and i had and i just used gasoline and it made the building smell aweful for hours, does the coleman smell less or are all the fuels smelly regardless

DO NOT USE GASOLINE OR PETROL

It is explosive and will probably kill you.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

like2danceSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
ok ok, i guess i didn't know how dangerous it was, but i promise i won't use gasoline again.........i don't know much of what i'm doing other than advice from you guys, so thanks for the heeded warning ubblove

MagikMuzik

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
hey, like2dance! click me and read me and you will be a happysafe bunny smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Page: