Forums > Social Chat > ~* What Came First? *~

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ItsAllTearsBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
and the classic follow up to that phrase....the chicken or the egg? feel free to add your own Qs!! ubbrollsmile x

Edited by Dom to remove caps from the title!

EDITED_BY: Dom (1093996290)

~* so, my love, your laughter is finally turning to tears, and you're begging for more, though the end is getting near *~

Fleancejourneyman
99 posts

Posted:
Well, quite obviously that egg came first. from a purely darwinian point of view of course.

Consider evolution as the process of natural selection. The great (repeat indeffinitely) ancestors of the chicken would have grown evolved and changed to suit their surroundings. Consider the ascension staircase at Rock Rodondo. Where species of bird had slowly evolved so that some of the gulls had harder beaks to crack open the shells of hard nuts, whilst other gulls had evolved differently to catch insects, thus had a softer suppler beak.
The "Chickens" mother, would have been something that was not quite a chicken yet in almost every way was, then when that pseudo chicken laid an egg out popped the slightly evolved but superior chicken. This chicken then would have in some way ensured the downfall of all it's predecessors, probably through the use of chemical warfare and nuclear chicken weapons.

Of course it can also be argued that through creationism god created everything perfectly. Therefore the chicken came first.

Well there ya go.

I don't care who you vote for

Just don't vote for the guy who likes war, destruction and earning money over earning respect.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Well with my belief's I say that God placed the Chicken on the earth. But thats only what I think.

But people will have differant thoughts on this, there is no right or wrong answer....

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Egg.

Has to be an egg for the chicken to come from, but it might not have been a chicken that laid it (It would've been some pseudo-chicken)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Fleancejourneyman
99 posts

Posted:
Hey don't get me wrong hanz. I'm very strongly christian. Sometimes the idea of creationism is bit hard to comprehend.

Just don't vote for the guy who likes war, destruction and earning money over earning respect.

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
A quick thought: even if you do take the creationist viewpoint, what's to say that god didn't put an egg on the earth rather than a fully formed chicken?

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Cos, it would've broken when it fell from heaven?
wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
helly holmes? umm

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Written by: Durbs

Cos, it would've broken when it fell from heaven?
wink

I like, I like.

And I know that creationism is hard to comprehend but why would He place an egg on earth and not something that is fully formed. and in Genesis it says He created all the animals... so if this is the case, wouldnt the chicken come first as it is the animal, and the egg isnt (well, not yet)
Although, do correct me if I am wrong, I am open to NICE FRIENDLY suggestions.

By the way, not yelling, just trying to make clear

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Neither! Going back to Fleance's darwinian point of view: everyhing evolved from single celled organisms which reproduced simply by splitting them selves. At this point there wwasn't such a thing as an egg from any animal let alone a chicken biggrin

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i'd like to think the egg was there first but i would say that wouldn't i? biggrin me being HoP's resident egg eggspert and all ubbloco

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

FruleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
I guess Flame Boy has a point - and so does Fleance of course.... smile

(As a notorious chicken I would say the chicken was first wink)

"I see," said the blind man.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
can you repost the image, vanize? all i can see if a little red x inside a little white box...

ubbidea everything evolved from the empty box?

284 posts

Posted:
Yes Vanize, it's me, it's me!!!!!!! ubblol

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Egg - chickens are mutants and look normal just because there's so many of them, and people think they taste good. Really, they were just some weird mistake O_o'

ubblol

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
Satisfying HOPs Lust For Fire
308 posts

Posted:
ok, so here's another question...
what came first, the can or the can opener?

Never settle for normal.devil
Average thinking brings average results.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
the Can

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Fleancejourneyman
99 posts

Posted:
Ahh again if we take a darwinian stand. Obviously the.......nah actually i can't be rooted.

So my for real and serious stand point on how the world was formed is thus.

WHO CARES

ok that was a little bit loud. Just wanted to premise this little vomitous mass with that as i think it really underlines that whether We evolved from apes or whether God made us, isn't important. It's the way we behave now that counts.

So, evolution has some massive flaws, for example, when species of animal diversify they actually lose information from their genetic code. It is not physically possible for an organism to add to it's own genetic makeup without some help. In order to become a part of the food web animals actually lose information to become unique and individual in terms of the way they act etc. All of this makes it REAL hard for a fish of some discription to walk up on land and think "Hey, those trees look comfy, i might shack up in them for awhile."

This leaves us with Creationism. Again, massive problems. Mainly due to the fact that creationism leaves us no explanation for the millions of year old fossils and what not that are clearly and scientifically dated to days when there is no evidence of man.

There is heaps of other things wrong with both theories but as it is 3.33 am here in Melbourne i think i'll leave them for another day. But personally i think that truth lies somewhere in between.

Now that i have highjacked this thread and realised it is a venomous snake, i will put the heshen bag gently on the ground and slowly back away. As you were gentlemen, as you were.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I'm sure I remember hearing somewhere (it may have been a wind up) that tin cans were invented several years before the tin-opener was! umm

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
of course they were....who would bother inventing something to open something that didn't exist?

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

ItsAllTearsBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
lol silly question Madam Flame! confused2 iiii like it! ubbloco hehehe

what came first, red or yellow? devil sunny

~* so, my love, your laughter is finally turning to tears, and you're begging for more, though the end is getting near *~

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
i think there is a right answer and Durbs got it "Egg.

Has to be an egg for the chicken to come from, but it might not have been a chicken that laid it (It would've been some pseudo-chicken)"

i couldn't have put it better smile

pass_the_pigjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
there were eggs around before there were chickens, but if you mean chicken eggs then chicken, because it wouldn't be a chicken egg if a chicken didn't lay it.

I took my harp ta party, but no body asked me to play, so I took harp home again

284 posts

Posted:
Aahhh, but where did the chicken come from that laid that egg? Go for the darwinian theory: everything evolved from single celled organisms (note: I am a research assistant in biochemistry ubblol)

ItsAllTearsBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
hehe what have i started?! this is a fun post, lotsa weird inputs!! ubbrollsmile

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
The chicken and the egg had just been going at it in a morning quickie.
the chicken reached over to the bedside table, lit a cigarette and said "well, i think we answered that question!"

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
But perhaps that was just yolk on the sheets...

The egg might have just been getting going and cracked a bit

wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
back to the can opener... you can have a tin, and there are various ways of opening it without an actual mechanical opener for example i saw some one do it with a machete, that was impressive! unlike those crappy little things on penknives which use the same motion but take about 4 hours longer....

as for the chicken, well who's to say it didn't bring the egg with it... from wherever it came from. across the road perhaps? which brings us back to that other age-old question:

why did the chicken cross the road?? biggrin (sorry)

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Saddly I can't think of any examples but there are certain organisations that have acronyms as names that seem to have been chosen before knowing what it would actually stand for.

It's not real (I don't think) but an example would be BORN, an organisation for new mothers standing for something like

British Organisation Rallying for the Natal

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
OK, a new one...

Was the colour orange named after the fruit or was the fruit named after the colour?

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

Page: