Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - £15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at https://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that £25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than £25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"'Artistic Differences'" - I dont like hearing that. hug

I suppose I had better go buy these ticket things then. smile

and kiss for those who want one.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Hope the revising is going well mister hug

Getting to the other side smile

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Sym, Dunc - have we any instructions for us walking from the train station? Or will it be signposted from there?

Gayle.....!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Will, Durbs will be leaving about three from Guildford. Hopefully we'l get there by seven. We shouldn't miss out on festivities, plus I think Durbs mentioned something about performing... Not sure if it was on the friday or the Saturday, mind... Not sure if it was gonna even be at PLAY, come to think of it....

But We'll gett there in good time!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
There will be a map and directions sent with the tickets, and some signs as well. It's a very easy walk though, so you should be fine.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
hmmm.. aimee I may just go for the monk costume I only need to find me a habit (not another bad one ubblol)
Just to prove my celibacy

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Yay, the sheffield poiple (lolli etc..) are saying their going too!! bounce

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
*DUNC OR SYM* Can i still go... am i allowed? xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
I'll be working till about 6 then heading straight up to new street station and hopping on for the 40 mins up to shrew. Anyone else heading up that sort of time from brum?

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I'm arriving at shrewsbury station, from Bournemouth (9:46) on friday at 1:52pm ubbrollsmile

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
hmmm what to come as .....

think i may come as a jester/clown

back

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Is everyone dressing up now? Do i gotta go figure out a costume?

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i am not sure if i will have any money or food or drink with me cos i spent all my money on tickets and toys so is there anychance i will be able to share other peoples food and drink please.
they will get lots of hugs if they do

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Dunc, SYM - did you guys get my cheque?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2

Lots of Bouncy people, but there not as bouncy as me . . . :superhighbouncyperson:
I can't wait .... biggrin

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
im sure we can find you some stale crusts of bread yoni tongue

hee hee not long now biggrin wOOOOOOT

back

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
yay i get fed scraps

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

ahhmaymember
42 posts

Posted:
we're leaving london at 3pm on friday hoping to beat the weekend traffic situation. bringing good food if we need to feed anyone...and some props for the ladies who need to look "fancy". warrior paint for the guys who forgot to bring theirs...

i'm not going to burningman this year (usually 10 days of chaos camping in the desert)...so play will suffice. it WILL be a great weekend!!!!!
kiss kiss

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
i too am bringing good food, as payment for my lift, that along with fuel, and because i like to cook!!!

hummm war paint....maybe,
but then after recent events, fancy clothing items might be a maybe as well biggrin

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

ahhmaymember
42 posts

Posted:
okay, i was half joking about the war paint...i was inspired by matty b's avatar. but, whenever i bring decorative bindi's from india...it seems the boys are the ones who always want to adorn them in a warlike kinda way...

sorry, i get too excited when someone talks about dressing up. redface

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Well there will be face painters there (Skully and her crew), so I reckon my face will be decorated at some point throughout the weekend . . .

P.S. The cute young lady maus, was responsible for much of the art work at falmouth 4 won't be though.. which is where that avatar was taken
EDITED_BY: Matty B (1123575273)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Cool...I saw how hard they worked at fal and decided not to ask as there was a massive queue. hmmm. may just wear a mask...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
ticket booked, cheque to be posted today biggrin biggrin

by the sounds of it we'll be there 7.30 ish. I think

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Arrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh.

Getting nervous

But excited

Arrrrrrrrrrrrggghh...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Yay me and blu will be travelling up friday. biggrin

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Written by: Durbs

Arrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh.

Getting nervous

But excited

Arrrrrrrrrrrrggghh...

ditto!!

*bites finger nails whilst doing the "squeee!" noise*

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
My friend Kieron is comming too.
But hes getting the train by himself from Hastings. I'm quite worried about him. If you see a bewildered looking lad arraving at PLAY with no-one next to him please say hello.
He is Kieron and quite friendly

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
WOO HOOOOOO!

I got my Visa today! nothing is stopping me from coming to PLAY, except the custom officials at Heathrow shrug

Ahh, what a way to start off 6 months of backpacking biggrin now, to reserve those bus tickets...

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Indeedy-Mynci be me captain and I be the navigator grr argh!

Uh..you can chew on my left arm if you get hungry Yoni, I dont really use it....are people dressing up...huh??

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
woohoo left arm for me.
i will dress up if i can, tho it looks like i may have to cary pigeon round allot of the time

Page: ......