fnord108GOLD Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
Okay, I've been working on the backward weave for quite a few days now, and I haven't made much progress. I've gone back to look at the lesson on this site plenty of times and searched the message board to no avail.

I'm clueless as to what I'm doing wrong, but I can say that I learned the forward weave best out of a figure 8/2-point weave, which I haven't really been able to get with backwards swinging either. Any suggestions?

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
hmmmmm. I learnt from a book. But as far as i can describe..

Stand with both hand on your left, but they are NOT crossed.

Swing your outisde (left) hand in a backwards circle under your right hand, and make it finish on the right. then swing your right hand in a backwards circle and make it land on the right also (backwards starts 2-3.. 1-2-3, not 1-2-3.. 1-2-3 like forwards)

then you have both hands on your right, with your left hand outside and underneath on the right.

Left hand backwards cirle, back to the right side, right hand backwards circle to the LEFT, and left hand second backwards circle to the left.

What helped me was putting one poi down and just swinging the pattern with one hand at a time: right hand, left side, back, back, cross, back. Crossing backwards infront of myself was quite tricky for a while.

Once you've got that, the turn is easy smile

Good luck.

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
and remember that the hand changing sides goes under the other hand, not over, like forwards. that got me stuck for ages.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

fnord108GOLD Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it definitely doesn't feel natural for me to do that. I kinda wish that I learned the backward weave as I was learning the forward, so my muscles weren't so programed to go over.

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
When I learned the backward weave I got it by doing the forward and turning around, your body almost automatically goes into it. Remember its hand under hand not hand over hand...its just reprogramming from the forward.

Always Beautiful

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
Written by: fnord108

Yeah, it definitely doesn't feel natural for me to do that. I kinda wish that I learned the backward weave as I was learning the forward, so my muscles weren't so programed to go over.

Learning both at once tends to get really confusing. a friend tried it and just tied herself up wink

Dorothy Gale

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
i learnt the forwards weave and then learnt the backwards weave about a week after, i go realyl confused at first, its a total mess, and then i thought i had it when in fact i was doing some 1 or 2 beat........ thing! i still cant do the backwards one, the same way i learnt the other ones i want to try it one handed, can you talk me throught he one handed backwards weave??

meepette, what book did you learn ti from, i have michals but the backwards weave looks really odd in there so havent attempted it yet

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
I learnt from Michal's one. But about 3 or 4 pictures in, i realised what she wanted and so could put it down.

Backwards weave one handed?

With no other hand at all you do two backwards circles on your left side with your right arm and one backwards circle on your right - and vice versa.

With one poi... Cross your right arm ( with poi) over your chest to the left.

Your right hand is under your left arm (poi-less). You do a backwards circle and bring your right hand up to land on top of your left and do another backwards circle and then swing both arms across as they are to the right.

Then the right hand does one backwards circle and your hand lands under your left arm, and you swing back to the left.

I can't find a decent video of it online though.

Lynne

Dorothy Gale

fnord108GOLD Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all your help everyone! I finally got it today. Well, except for the turn, but I'm sure that will be easy enough.

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
it's easier to do a 3 beat reverse weave than a 2 beat figure 8 reverse weave. you'll get the turn, it'll be cool when you do too.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
well done! smile

With the turn, I'd say turn from the one you know better.

If that doesn't work, turn TO the one you know better biggrin

Have fun ubbrollsmile

Dorothy Gale

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I just got it last night, which is a beautiful feeling. There's not a lot I can add, just keep trying the under-over-out style swinging with each hand induvidually, then get into reverse swing and just think "Right, time for a weave". That's how I got it, and I woke up this morning still able (thank god)

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau