body movement is just as important.

Any thoughts? confused

Thanks smile

ubblovemajik

Live, love, laugh and dance!

psycho44BRONZE Member
56 posts

Posted:
I have seen people spin fire poi at the beach who do maybe 3 or 4 moves only look so much better and more interesting than another who does dozens of moves because they move around more and dance. Personally I am still struggling with this because I don't dance. I have a good amount of moves but can't seem to put them together and move around so I also just kinda stand there and go through the moves. I feel very self consious when I spin because of this.

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:
I guess its like the people who forget you can move around.... twirling fire is not about being rooted to one spot... you can move around and dance, and the parts of your body not immediatly involved in spinning can still move around too.

I love twirling to music or drumming, so you can dance to the music while twirling.... altho i know notice when i go to clubs and dance it looks like i'm twirling invisable poi rolleyes

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
The main thing is that you are aware of the importance of dancing, so the dance will come with time.
I twirled for about four years before I could let go of my fears and dance in front of people.
It can seem difficult at first to coordinate dancing and spinning, you just start with basic moves and it will come easier.
There are ways of creating dance and movement without going all out dancing.
Levels are good like moving up and down with your arms and/or your knees, shifting weight from one foot to the other and relax. This all helps in creating the dance and a visual feast for the observer and if you smile and look like your enjoying it you'll look fantastic no matter what.
Have fun with it, experiment and watch how other people dance.
I'm sure you'll dance beautifully.
hug weavesmiley smile
ubblove majik

JonaBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
ive just started spining, but find that dancing is one of the main things that i love about it, just standing there spinig doesnt really cut it (and i can only do the weave and butterfly at the moment, so kinda need something else to do!)

YEY! i got the poi down form under the motorway bridge!

griffinfeminine tiddly pom
505 posts

Posted:
i dunno about others, but dancing came to me first, so i started automatically shaking me sassy ass and swaying to beats, whether from poi or music
(o, and poi so easy to write-all the letters are next to each other!)
but its more fun jiggling about too, and makes it more challenging

in state of metamorphosis

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i was twirling a broomstick staff yesterday and i found that when i was specifically trying to do moves, i wasnt getting too far, but when i just let go and danced with it, i was able to do those moves and more without even trying! yay for dancing!

(and griffin, someone, i think it was pounce, devoted a whole thread to 'poi' being all next to each other! does anyone remember that! it was quite amusing! ubblol)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
you got it Majik!

I reckon it is to do with fear - especially with lads. They hide behind their technical moves as if its some kind of a barrier protecting them from the evil gaze of the audience! smile

I reckon there is also something to be said for people who practice in small confined spaces...they need to develop other things to keep them amused, because they cant move.

Its the same with Juggling tho - the vast majority of jugglers think its great if they can juggle without moving anything cept their lower arms, this influence has rubbed off on poi, as its become more and more juggly.

*waits for the dancing while being technical crew to chime in*

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
I just seem to take the dance for granted. It seems like I just picked up the chains and immediatlly started dancing. Maybe its just because I started dancing before I tried poi, but I just close my eyes and lose myself in the music. Its like instinct. I do it even without the chains.

I think its a matter of what each individual is comfortable with. Some people aren't really comfortable with letting go that much control.
Love and hugs

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
Thanks, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this, I was getting worried that the dance was becoming a forgotten part of twirling. I agree that maybe people are just hidding behind the moves. We need to help them loosen up and let go of their barriers.
Keep dancing everyone.weavesmileyhugweavesmiley
ubblovemajik

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Hummm!!confused well when I first started it was all about the moves now as the moves got harder and I lost the patients to learn them redface I started to dance more and more. Now I love ubblove to dance with my poi especially as I can’t dance without them. biggrin

When you move with the poi it all just flows so much easier once I started to move with the poi I found the more complicated moves came naturally weavesmiley (I just recently got the 4 beat weave or 5 whatever you want to call it totally by accident when I was just spinning to a bit of goldfinger in my room smile). I have a pick if me dancing although it dose just look like I'm running away aghhhh!!! ubblol ubblol

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
Satisfying HOPs Lust For Fire
308 posts

Posted:
I'm new to both staff & poi(I haven't lit the poi yet) & I dance when spinning at home, but as soon as I do it front of others I get so nervous & shaky that if I moved around much I'd drop my staff, which I've done. Until I feel more secure with my staff movements, I'll probably be pretty stationary, but for those people who never decide to move around a whole lot, maybe they see the dance being the way they spin & I think that's ok too.

Never settle for normal.devil
Average thinking brings average results.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
yes i mentioned the whole poi letters being next to each other before. but someone else mentioned it to me i think. i can't remember.

there's a thread floating around somewhere about this very subject. when i'm not so busy at work i'll look for it.

but yes, i'm more of a dancer than a technical spinner, but i'm definately getting better with my moves.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I picked up poi for the first time a few weeks ago and really gave them a good spin on fire for the first time this weekend.

I must admit I think i did a bit of a wiggle, bearning in mind we were at a festival and the tunes were nothing less than super groovy.

I dont dance with my staff really, though I do move around quiet a bit and I had a completly different experience spinning the poi, like it affected me in a completly different way, I wanted to dance and found I had more freedom to move those bits that I do while im dancin.

All in all, very nice, I shall endevour to be a wiggly guy in all things poi. wiggly in a manly way mind...

Love is the law.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I think everyone knows it's a dance, but often, when you go to spin meets people are there to practice (like Spitz or whatever) - If you're trying to learn a new move or clean up planes, you rarely jump around bouncing off the walls smile

As to techy people who really dance well - My top 3 - Drew (Glass), Ros (FNF) and Oli

Apparently one of the differences between UK and Australian spinnesr is the the Aussies move more, where as the UK'ers are much more plane/circle focussed. I can see it in some videos but there's exceptions to every rule. They've got more space in Australia anyway... wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I heard that in australia that there are technically adept, twirlers with a dancelike flow.
you need not sacrifice one to nurture the other, though it takes much more commitement, sweat and winter-twirling!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
I agree that dance is a part of Twirling. How much better is is to twirl to music! The first show that I did with my present fire troupe was at a Psy Trance Rave and we were hired to twirl for them. I danced with sticks in hand for 9 hours straight : ) It is quite cool to work with another twirler too, doing two person moves and dancing with each other at the same time.

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

wouacGOLD Member
Poi-tato
183 posts

Posted:
I completely agree with the dance aspect of poi but however regretfully have never pulled off a real dance with my poi or staff i owe this mainly to the fact that i just havent had the opportunity to twirl to music and that i was the only fire twirler around for a long time so i couldnt really work with people but i just recently recieved the COL 2 and 4 vids which have opened up new areas for me to try and the second i have my poi back in hand dancing is the sole thing im going to try and master... Also i found that doing the BTB weave was nearly impossible without moving the body

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potato's.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I ALWAYS dance...I cant help it.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
biggrin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I always try to dance encorporating the moves I know, but I find the music is sooo important when it comes to flow...

If there's loud dancey/techno crap playing I find it really hard to dance smoothly, so I suppose it ends up just going through the moves... but if it's nice and slow funk, or a drumming circle I find it much easier to wiggle smile

And ado, it was your state of mind, not the music, that was super groovy at the weekend ubblol

xx

Getting to the other side smile

kermitoverlord and maggot king
171 posts

Posted:
you need to dance while poiing, the monkey dance always gets tyhe crowds approval, but yer, i need music to poi to so i can get a dance going with a decent beat aw well, may the music live on, and long live poi
kermit

welcome back to kermits mad land.

wont you join my teaparty.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i move my feet and i shift weight lots but i don't consider myself to be 'dancing'.

i do these things whether i am spinning to music or not.

the only difference music makes is that the speed of my spinning is usually dictated by it (grrrr to techno and d&b for being too damn fast for me and my soft fingers mad) and that my move selection changes depending on musical style.

but to be fair, you said dance is an important part of spinning fire and i generally only spin glow nowdays wink

i know i sound like i'm just being arsey but i'm not - i think there's a difference between deliberate, controlled body movement and dancing.

accentuated posture and timed movements with an object don't make me a dancer.

compare something like a martial arts weapons kata to a form of dance and hopefully at least one person will see where i'm coming from -the body movements in a kata are highly controlled and obviously deliberate but are dictated more by how the weapon is best used, rather than by forcing the weapon to move with you.

hmmm - am i getting onto a 'do we control the poi or do the poi control us?' area here...? umm wink

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
The question is whether we want to control or to be controled
Whether the movement is deliberate or freeflowing it is still dancing. Even deliberate moves are still rythmic and dance is rythmic movement. Then I consider most marcial arts a form of dance also.

Sorry, I should have been more exact "SPINNING ANYTHING"
it doesn't matter what your using for effect.

Keep movin'
ubblovemajik

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I get ya Cole

I met a guy at the weekend who used alot of martial arts moves in his spinning.

He handed the staff baack to me though, saying "My saftey switch says i should stop. Im following the staff and it should be following me"

He moved alot everywhere and looked cool and was in time with the music. But he wasnt dancin, no way siree, not a wiggle.

Its a home truth that you wigling makes poi seem more fluid though. I saw it last night when myflat made did a lovely smooth turn that i cant do. And i cant do it because i dont move my ass out of the way,.

There is a lot of synergy in poi and staff trwirling, I think by combining differnent energies (rythym, music, equipment, momemtum, body, flame, glow) the effect can have endless loverly combinations.

Personally, i think smiling helps alot, i dont do it often enough but i love to see it.

Love is the law.

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
smile

6,978 posts

Posted:
heh it must be a tradition around the world to f'wirl @ psy doofs smile

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:
Written by: bender™

heh it must be a tradition around the world to f'wirl @ psy doofs smile

I doubt there is anywhere better?!
Love twirling at psy doofs!! ubblove
Fabulous people, and fabulous music and the vibe is always fantastic!

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

6,978 posts

Posted:
certainly i hear more about psytance in firetwirling forumness
than i do firetwirling in psy forums.
both include alot of ice cream discussions.

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
mmm... ice cream.....

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Dance ubblove

spot on majic, josh and cole for lots of things for me to agree with

dance is a physical interpretation of music in movement and poise

it don't mean a thig if it aint got that swing

(from a drew who is spending a year unlearning technical moves and learn LOTS of dance)

Page:

时事通讯

注册以获取最新的销售,新版本以及更多...