Forums > Help! > Help me choose a poi set!

Login/Join to Participate

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Okay, everybody! Help me make a decision here.
I've been practicing with a homemade set of poi- tennis balls on braided cords since I started spinning back in march.
I want to upgrade a little, at least for public use.

So which poi set should I get my paws on?

The ultimate performance poi- white and pink set:
I love those tails, but at the same time, they've got their drawbacks- some moves are harder with them, they're a PITA to clean if you get dirt on them, and they're kinda bad in the wind.
But on the plus side, they look awesome when you can use them, they really do. Somebody should make a set with detachable tails:)

Or

The fuzzy poi with cords- Perhaps the pink set.
These are lighter, and safer than tennis balls for teaching others with, and they look majorly cute too. I'm just worried that they may be a little too light.

Or maybe I can get both sets at once- what would you guys and gals do?

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
get both biggrin

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
The ultimate performance ones are cool, but only for putting on a show during the day. like you said they are affected by the wind, and when they get tangled they stay tangled ooooops

They are too light to use too much of the time, you should use heavy ones, for this reason: If you are used to heavy ones, light weight ones are super easy to use; but if you are used to light ones, heavy ones are difficult to use and you'll end up spooning your moves (which is not good if you're using fire devil ).

The heavy ones are of course the fire pois and I'm assuming you will at some point move on the fire (if you haven't already) so you may as well get some now rather than later and get used to them weavesmiley

Happy swinging ubbloco

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I do want to do fire, and weight is a concern for me.
At the moment, I use homemade poi- tennis balls and braided cord. But I'm working on some chains right now that will weigh more- I want to build strength for using such heavy toys as fire and beaming poi. Getting used to weight is a good idea, that and I'm tired of being fat:(
I figure the corded fuzzball poi will be nice for places where the chains might cause problems, such as anywhere I have to deal with security. They're also good for teaching others with, as there's less chance of hurting anyone with them. I aim to have a nice variety of poi to play with, depending on circumstances and desire.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Why would chains be a problem with security? confused2

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
I've never had a problem with chains and security... started off with them in fact. The tails look really nice. Why not get a fire set as well so you can practice with those (unlit) at least you'll get the weight more or less.

There seems to be a noticable difference between chains, cables, cords. We used chains to make our practice sets, and then we added sand to the tennis balls so they weight about as much as the soaked poi.

Hope it helps!

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

CaptGPLATINUM Member
29 posts

Posted:
and when its windy wrap the tails round the balls and put an elastic band on hey presto no more tying up.. ps washing is easy they are ripstop nylon and will take a beating... my original ones had a velcro pocket the balls fitted into maybe a mod there up to you... and if you use fire sets find some small bags that fit tightly over the wicks then you dont get covered in the black soot and they are protected when u practise
cheers

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys:)
I was concerned about security because I've heard of people having chain poi confiscated by concert security, or people mistaking chain poi for weapons.
The chains in question were made from light dog leash chain- very strong and durable, but some people think it looks dangerous, and mistake them for weapons.

I should know- I currently work as a security guard- I've got a level and rational head on my shoulders, and not very much scares me- I'm a martial artist and weapon collector as well as a poi dancer. So I'm not going to get all scared over somebody with chain poi or even a bokken or similar device in public. Unfortunately, alot of other people don't share this cool-headedness.

PoiGirlBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
I'm all about saving money - I'd maybe try getting one pair of chains (then you can even use 'em for fire later!) and a bunch of different heads to add. I dunno about the tailed ones...I got creative and made a kinda crappy pair of detachable tails to slip over my tennis balls. The only reason they're crappy is because I used that day-glo orange tape and it rips fairly easily. So I don't recommend that exactly. But otherwise I love my homemade things. Depends on the person though of course. smile Good luck! Oh and if you get chain, GET BALL CHAIN! It's the best. cool

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I was thinking of doing just that, PoiGirl:) I'm looking at the fire poi with 4" wicks, and eventually buying several different heads to go with them. Monkey fists, maybe. And the chains can also be used for glowsticks and beaming poi, and all that other cool stuff.

PoiGirlBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
Sounds good!! cool Have fun.

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
If you're worried about security mistaking them for weapons, prove they're not by putting a free show on for them ubblol

No, that's just a joke...maybe it could work...no, forget that.
What might work tho is dimantling the parts and seperating them, i.e. put the chains in your bag, the handles in a pocket and heads in a different pocket - then they won't be suspected of being connected ubbidea clever huh!

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Might work at the airports too:) Disguise the chains as a necklace:)
Or keep the fuzzball poi in my carry- on..NO way could somebody think those were weapons..

In regards to those fuzzy poi- I keep getting a hilarious mental image of somebody in full klingon regalia twirling poi covered in grey or brown fur- it would look like they were spinning tribbles:)

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
r u a trekkie?!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
why do you say that like its a bad thing?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I'm not a hardcore trekkie, but I do like klingons..and minbari:)
I do know some friends who are into it though, and I love to go to sci-fi conventions.

I'm thinking now I might get the kevlar poi, and a set of those fuzzball poi- the kevlar would be for regular practice, and the fuzzballs would be for learning new moves where I still hit myself alot.
Just how strong are the chains on the fuzzy poi? Strong enough for a 4" wick? Or should I just order two complete poi sets?

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Well hear is my 2 Bits soapbox

First of I would recommend buying from this “sight” biggrin firstly because you get great service and is well trusted Iv bought several things from hear with no problem (well only once but that was my fault STUPID spy-ware eek). Also if you have any problems Malcolm will sort them. hug

Now! which poi to go for I bought some of the “ultimate performance poi” for my girl friend and I was very impressed with there spinning properties very easy to use and look great. Iv used the “beginner poi” similar feel I but prefer the look of the “ultimate” ones. smile
As for the problem with the tails getting tangled and limited moves well they only limit certain moves and advanced ones at that! I find it is near impossible to do Airwraps and Hyperloops redface. Apart from that, the tails tend to help you crisp up your moves as they slow the poi down and plus they look COOL!
the Fluffy Poi do look good I Just prefer the feel of the tailed sets. ubbangel

Coming to fire poi I personally use 2.5 inch monkey fist rope wicks with #15 NPS ball chain cords weavesmiley. Iv used almost all the fire poi sets on this sight and still go back to the monkey fist’s. the only thing I would say is I some times find them a bit on the heavy side especially if you are still learning it takes slightly different technique to manipulate heavier poi in comparison to the practise ones. so in my opinion I would go for the “standard tube core 2.5 inch ball chain Fire Poi” set. Firstly they aren’t to heavy and secondly the flame is not to big and SCARY for your first burn. (my first burn was with a set of Cathedral’s scared the hell out of me. eek) and when you get better you can just swap the heads over for something bigger.

And finally handles I use double loop but that is purely down to preference
Good hunting hope this helps hug

performance_green_orange_yellow beginner_yellow_orange monkeyfist_head poi_25_ballchain

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I think I will get a fire poi set (still looking at the 4" wicks), and a set of fuzzy poi heads for my first shot. Then a nice set of ultimate performance poi- I like the ones with the pink and white tails:)

Eventually I want monkey fist heads and beaming poi-those are sweet:)

And yes, I do like those double loop handles- nice and comfortable.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Monkey fists rock my world.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Humm wouldn’t get to excited over the Beamers Yes they are good but not Quite what I was expecting. And oh yes THEY HURT A LOT eek eek and when I say a lot I mean concussion LOT eek

Ouch Ouch Ouch!!!!! mad2 I’m more scared of my beamers than I am Fire

[Old link]

But they do look very Pretty ubblove ubblove spinningball ubblove ubblove
EDITED_BY: Mint Sauce (1091306443)

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Mags: Are monkey fists really a lot better than the other pair of fire pois shown above? devil