Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
maybe maybe wink

though im not likey to teach you anything new either..... smile

you will get to play with my brand spankin new tepokka made sticks though.

I havent even seen them yet!!!!!! bounce bounce2

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
weavesmileyI like new toys I do hahahahahahha Im gonna get my mate to make me a set of fire fans and hopefully a fire umberella wont have them for a few months though clap Im gonnahave soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ooohhh fire umbrellas are sweeeett.

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
devil I know my mates think im going over board.... but its not like im gonna use my poi, staffs, fans ans brelles all at the same time........ bounce It could be interesting though Hmmmmm

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
just tie everyting onto the umbrella.

that way you can get a fire hula hoop aswell....

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
That a good idea haahahahha I can soo see me going up in a wee puff of smoke devil Ahhh i can hardley keep my eyes open (didnt sleep at all last night think i have insomnia)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
im in work

bored out of my tiny little mind

cant wait to go home

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Not long to go now for me then i can go home and play with fire...... my neighbours hate me im sure of it heeeheeeheee weavesmiley

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
you've inspired me to go home and do the same.

double fun tonight i think

biggrin

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
heeheeheehee fire is fun bounce bounce2 gonna sign off now heading home in 10mins yeyyyyyyyyyyyyyy bye

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey Tainted...

Sorry, I kindof got lost - are you coming down to Dublin at the weekend?! It'd be great to see you and anyone else you want to bring along!

Steph and I are driving down on Friday night, staying at Lisa's house. She's already kindly agreed to let people stay at hers... just bring a sleeping bag or blankets and air mattress, or somesuch, cos you'll be on the floor biggrin

Anyways, I think you have my mobile number - did you get that group text?! - either way, let me know and we'll get something sorted.

There's gonna be loads of fire people and drummers there and we're busking for the Red Cross - a great charity who will no doubt bring any money we can make directly to those who need it.

Take care and see you soon

hug

Clare x

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hello again all wave

haven't been online in a few days. we got a massive virus in work that got into our inhouse system and had 60% of pcs down for the best part of 3 days!! interest access is now restricted, so this is a sly one biggrin

tainted, your welcome to stay at mine, no probs at all. my number is (deleted) (from éire) if you need to get in touch. otherwise contact clare, she'll fill you in.

it's looking good. the red cross have supplied buckets for collecting and also an official letter with their permission to collect for them (just in cast we've any hassle from the cops)

only thing now is the weather frown there's severe gales forecast for leinster for the next 2 days and structural damage to many buildings is to be expected eek but hey, fingers crossed we'll get a hour or two of okish weather.

right. i'd better leg it before i get the sack

see you all tonite or sat nite!

anyone not coming have a great weekend. aidan, enjoy the party in cork!

love you all hug

L peace
EDITED_BY: Fabergé (1105966891)

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
feck it

im in

bring me stix

biggrin

see ya'll tomoro

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey Lisa,

Owing to the vast amount of people on this site at the moment, I'd probably take your phone number off?!!

Lol, I'll see you tonight, looking forward to it.

And never worry, I checked the PA forecast last night in work, it's set to clear up by tomorrow night... and even if it doesn't, it will be sheltered in the temple bar square.

Hope they didn't trace that virus back to you biggrin

Take care

Clare xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hey Everybody!!!!

Lookin forward to seeing you all tommorow.

thank crunchy its friday

biggrin

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello and happy mondays everyone.

Just wanted to say a massive well done and thanks to everyone who turned up at the weekend hug

It was spectacular. There were about 20 spinners, 6/7 excellent drummers - and the torrential rain and gale-force winds stayed off for the only night in the week!! (twas a bit chilly though!) We played for four hours, before heading off to the pub, where the drummers just kept going for another couple of hours... splendid biggrin

Thank you, thank you to everyone who made the effort to come along - the grand total raised for the Red Cross was 1,530 euros!!!

Take care and see you all again soon.
Clare x

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
What a night!!!

Well done to everyone who turned up. It was much fun and well worth a trip from cork

€1530!!!! A staggering amount of money for a few hours fire play.

clap clap clap clap clap

Thanks to Lisa for getting a few heads together and contacting the red cross. Not to mention providing floorage and pizza for my weary body and mind.

And to Steph for having a going away party.

And to Bluecat for my new sticks biggrin

To the drummers who went hard for four hours (and then some) and to all the random people who turned up and had a spin for a good cause.

hug hug (especially for Claire, Lisa and Steph, smile )

( bounce2 and andy for letting me bang on his drum bounce2 )

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I just talked to a reporter friend of mine in the limerick leader.

we're gonna be in the paper!!!!!1

wOoooooooooooo

biggrin

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
here i am you lucky people!!! biggrin (in best de niro accent smile)

what's this i hear about the paper????

well, we now have 1 pc at work that's reconnected so just checking in at lunchtime to see what's going on. not much by the looks of it....

off i go then....

see ya......

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Wayhey!

Hellos Lisa, I will be phoning you later tonight!

I hope both yourself and young Aidan have a marvellous time in Edinburgh... say hellos to the lovely Rob and make him teach you stuff, which you can then teach me biggrin

I have learnt some marvellous new funky things over the weekend, which I will show you soon.

Take care and happy travels
Love Clare xx

PS: do you remember Johnny (the guy with dreads that we picked up on Stephs leaving night?!)?! He texted this morning... apparently there's some kindof gig on in Navan on the weekend of Jan 29 for the tsunami appeal. Bands and DJs. Everyone staying at his afterwards. In connection with the UCD juggling club... anyone interested?!!

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, Im being forced to go to Cork the 16th, 17th 18th March as part of my course (I love Cork but hate my class) was wondering anyone want to get together do a bit of fire performing and stuff???? Also anyone fancy letting me kip on there floor (I know I havent met anyone) Im small....please

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey, you're going to be there for Paddy's day!!!

Sweet. You'll be able to stay with Aidan, no doubt biggrin

Righto m'luvelies... first of all, Lisa and Aidan, hope you two had a marvellous time with the pooks in Edinburgh... I look forward to seeing all the cool stuff you've learned biggrin

Also there's a few things on this weekend, so I thought I'd post it all here.

Navan:

Johnny (our new dreaded hippy friend from Steph's leaving do) is taking part in another Tsunami appeal gig this Sat (Jan 29). There's going to be drummers, DJs and fire. He's looking for anyone interested to get in touch. Email him at jnydejester at yahoo dot co dot uk.

Clonakilty, West Cork:

Bretch just mailed to say about another gig. There's another fundraiser event going on this Sunday in a rugby club in Clonakilty for the Tsunami Red Cross. There's gonna be 5 bands and various events/games and DJ's in the evening. He's not sure about fire... glow-stuff allowed. Contact him for more info.

Dublin:

*Dublin parties and gigs have been cancelled frown *

(go to Navan instead biggrin)

Belfast:

This weekend I'm not going anywhere or doing any fire for the first weekend in ages. rolleyes Instead, I'm going to see the Moscow State Circus perform in the Waterfront Hall. We're getting a little group together - everyone gets their own seats depending on where they want to sit and what they can afford and we'll meet up before and after the show. We hope to meet around 7.15/7.30pm on Saturday night in Bar 1 on the first floor of the Waterfront Hall. Contact me for more details.

Take care everyone

We'll have to arrange a wee gathering for sometime in February... anyone any suggestions?!

Clare xxx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
no worries

if im around your more than welcome to crash at ours

smile

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Yey ta :0) Ahhh im bored

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey, tainted, you coming to the circus on saturday night?!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Take care everyone
We'll have to arrange a wee gathering for sometime in February... anyone any suggestions?!

Of course

Everyone come to cork!!!!

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol. Pah.

(in a louder voice)

Nah, everyone come to Belfast!!!

zarkiaBRONZE Member
98 posts

Posted:
ouh ouh - fire spinning in cork - totally count me in - i have about 4 deadlines that week, but i'm sure i'll manage something - i got new fire poi for x-mas + need an excuse to try them out (they are a bit wobbly + uncontrolable!!?? frown )

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I think it might end up as Dublin, for some reason biggrin

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
but its my turn

frown