Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Where used you live? its a nice park. There is loads of space with soccer pitches and lots of other green areas.

Grow old but never grow up

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
albert college avenue

Love is the law.

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Twirly spinification in Dublin? That's weekend after next...shitebags think I may be down in Cork then....would love to....but if I go there and I'm here and my internal combustion face decides....
Right this is turning into one of those messages where I'm writing out the debate in my head...so I better stop before things get ugly.....
see ye later
ronan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

Dragon Princessstranger
50 posts

Posted:
Hey all,

Greetings from the oldest city in Ireland.

I'm kind of having fun, in betweeen the frustration of finding everything I want to see and do closed for Winter. I have been playing with my socks in the deserted corridors of cold hostels a lot, since there is no-one else I them to talk to. Mind you, the medieval castle I slept in a few nights ago would make an awesome venue for a firegathering, and videos for COL6, etc. I decided a bottle and a half of red was too much alcohol to allow solo-spinning, unfortunately. Regardless of where I find myself, I an certain I can make it up to Dublin for the 19th

I should be in Cork soon, and soon after that I will dump my car and set off with my pack and tent to walk the Kerry Way, and I won't care if there is no-one to talk to or everything is closed.

Aidan, I'll give you a bell before I arrive in Cork - but it should be in the next couple of days. Hey, are you free for Valentine's Day? I'm desperately seeking someone to get pissed and curse the lovey-dovey sickeningly gooey kissy schmissy canoodling couples with me.

The oldest city, in case you all slept through that particular high school history lesson, is Waterford. From what I see, all the Water is in the atmosphere.

I am glad this is an international game - I learnt in school that the world spins, and now I know it's true.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
a date on valentines eh smile

i would be delighted hug

Love is the law.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
be careful your stafs might get jealous?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
are you kidding

its steph!!

im bringing my staffs along!!

smile

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, glad you're having a marvellous time Steph!! Fair play to you woman, it's bloody freezing in this country... balls of steel ubblol

Tis gonna be great to see you next week... and what's more, I've just heard from my diving instructor English friend... and he's booked flights to fly over for a visit next weekend biggrin

Sweet! He does a little bit of staff, but he hasn't been practising in years... so you guys look after him, ok?!!

Righto... am going to send round the invitation via the mailing list now...

Take care y'all

Love and hugs
Clare xxx

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
OK, for those Irish people who check out the site, but don't post (spank)

Here's the plan biggrin

Declan, our newbie (and also very talented) Dublin staffer (otherwise known as Fear-Tine), has organised a gathering in Dublin for next weekend (February 19).

The plan is to meet in Albert College Park, beside DCU on the Saturday afternoon (though most of us will be in Dublin all weekend).

Afterwards, we’ll be heading back to the park opposite Declan’s house (I'm not too sure where this is, but I'm sure he'll tell us biggrin). PM either Fear-Tine or Faberge to get mobile numbers in case you get lost.

No busking or performance this time, this is just a get together to have a smoke, play with some fire, have some fun and generally arse about. There’s quite a few people coming along… including some drummers

You may have to get a bus from Dublin city centre. Take the 11,11a,11b,13,13a,19a, which all leave from Westmorland and O’Connell streets.

Accomodation is going to be tricky this time… so if you can sort it out for yourself, that’d be great. If you need it, Declan can sleep about 6-8 people in his house, and Lisa can sleep about 8 or 10… but hope you don’t mind sleeping on the floor biggrin

So then, hope you all can make it… let us know if you're coming…

Take care m’lovelies

Clare
xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
bounce2

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Bah. Aidan! That was the 400th post. More bounciness please biggrin

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2

wiggle

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol. Better biggrin

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Yeah bring it on. ubbrollsmile

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
Hi, I'm a newbie, I've been spinning for about 6 months. I've just moved back to Dublin from London and don't know any spinners here.

So far I've only spun cloth poi I can do most of the 'basic' moves, I'm considering moving on to playing with fire and would love some guidance and / or a general steer. Any objections to newbies showing up at Albert Colege on Sat?

Cheers, Cloudscape.

Remember what the doormouse said

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Woohoo!!

Hellos Cloudscape, how lovely to meet you biggrin

Lisa (faberge) is from Dublin... but we'll all be down there this weekend...

Take care, hope to see you then

Clare xx

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
alo cloudscape

lookin forward to meeting you smile

bring your toys and your madness

biggrin

Love is the law.

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
hey Cloudscape. They forgot to metion Im a dub as well and if you need a mobile number for me or lisa pm me. looking forward to meeting you. smile

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the friendly responses - I'll see you all on Sat!!

Remember what the doormouse said

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol. Sorry, sorry Dec... y'know, since yer such a newbie and suchlike biggrin

heheheheheheeh
ubblol

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
I'll let you off this time firepoise but next time I might be upset smile

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fear-Tine

hey Cloudscape. They forgot to metion Im a dub as well and if you need a mobile number for me or lisa pm me. looking forward to meeting you. smile

eek eek

residing in the pale does not make you a dub.... bloody galwegian rolleyes

hello Cloudscape !

welcome on board. about to send you a pm with my number, email, info on where we practise etc. looking forward to seeing you saturday.

the feedback for sat sounds great so far. i'm bringing everyone from the ucd juggling club, so there tongue

seriously though, everyone who can make it sounds up for it. should be 20 of us at the very least, though i'm banking on more.

could someone send me details of a time or something, coz i'm being badgered about what time we meet/what time it's going on until etc...

also, i can't remember if clare's email said anything about fuel, so i'm gonna resend it and ask everyone to bring their own

hug to all

peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there m'lovelies,

Unfortunately, noone from up north is coming, as far as i know (apart from me, obviously!). Bah. No motivation at all!! rolleyes

Matt and Max are going to a drumming course and the Derry lads (of which there are 5 or 7!!) are doing a gig in Dundalk. Haven't heard from anyone else.

But anyways. I'm thinking of driving eek Hope my lil red car will make it biggrin

I'm picking Tony up from the airport at 8.20pm, so Lisa, do you want me to come down before that?! I thought it'd be easier, since Dec lives a bit away...

I reckon, judging by most weekends, we'll make it to the park around 3 on Saturday, maybe a little before that.... but tis up to yourselves. Then get some food and do some fire.

Everyone pray, chant and cross your fingers for a dry day meditate

Sorry I forgot to include the fuel in the email Lisa!

Take care

Clare xx

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fabergé

Written by: Fear-Tine

eek eek
galwegian rolleyes

oh my god.I meant im in dub not i am. Id never want to be a dub.strange bunch.galway through and through and if anyone is thinking freudian slip b*ll*cks I just cant type biggrin

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Edit: the above quote was not written by me. Fear-Tine clearly cannot use the quote function tongue

i thought this was an evening event. is 3 not a bit early? i doubt if there'll be many people interested in hanging around all day in the cold. it's freezing here at the mo. also, most of us in dublin will be helping out with kelly's fundraiser on friday nite too, so 3 seems very early..... for me anyway....

clare, are you coming down on friday or saturday? either or, it's all fine.....
EDITED_BY: Fabergé (1108557075)

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
I thought it was a day thing. Well either way Im going to swing til my arms drop off. we'll lets just see how things go. just hand out my number just in case people get lost.

Forgot bout that fundraiser.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey m'darlin, am coming down on Friday... no working all weekend biggrin

Would you like me to come down in the afternoon or evening?

And I thought it was a Saturday nighttime thing too... until young Dec started PMing things like 'i want to start at 11am'. At which point I told him I was going to slap him around the head if he didn't stop being so enthusiastic.

3pm was the compromise ubblol

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
Sorry im addicted.you wouldnt complain if a drug addict had to take a hit at 11 in the morn would you!!ooooops

Lets leave it at a night time thing so. how about 5-6 in DCU then we can play late bounce

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
you should have just gone ahead and slapped him spank

the thing is, i've kinda promised some newbies that i'll meet them in town and bring them out, as most are unsure where it is. dunno though, could head out early and bus it back into town... hmmmm... will see......

clare come down on friday if you like. if you make it earlyish enough we can both help kelly out. i should be home between 5 & 6, so whatever suits you....

so far all of the following have confirmed they will come:

declan
clare
tony (clare's friend)
aidan
steph
barry
martin (trinity)
dara-lynne (first time burner!)
kelly
helène
cameron (ucd)
clare (ucd) (+ boyfriend will be coming along later)
rob (ucd)
johnny
aidan (very cute friend of johnny's)
barry (ucd)
chani (ucd)
Cloudscape

agus mé féin devil

and a few more peeps from ucd whose names i don't remember....

have i left anyone out? or have you lot roped any others in?

anyone heard from laura?

has ado-p been sacked for spending too much time on HoP? he's not responding to my mail spank

devil

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
*wandering around yelling aidan, aidan where are you*

i dont know where ado-p is. he hasnt been answering at all. not sure if he's at work.poor boy is sore.

Im sure you have left someone out but no one will mind. Have it and they will come

Page: ......