Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Hint: tightening new moves.

Login/Join to Participate

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Just a quicky - if you've just learned to do something new, but are still sloppy, put down your poi and do something else for quater of an hour, but keep going through the move in your head. Once you pick up your poi again you should find everything has tightened up considerably - as much so as if you had spent the last 15 minutes hitting yourself repeatedly in the shins.

Something to do with the brain there, dunno what, but it works.

Davy

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Actually has more to do with your muscles. Youre taking a break so when you go back to do the move again, your muscles are less tired and more relaxed.

Works with everything, not just new moves. If youve been spinning for a long time youll start to get sloppy with everything. Taking a break for 10 mins or so per 30 mins of practice is always good.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
potentially 'Spacing Effect'. ie you will learn more in 2 1unit sessions than in 1 2 unit session.

frustration and relaxation would play here too.

josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Visualisation is great, just like simple meditation, chilling thinking about it before you go and hit it, to clear the mind works wonders.

I really like dream poi or "astro" i find is a better word, thats like when u leave your body and go spin some crazy new moves and wake up feeling like you actually did it, then you go and try and you can DO IT ALL! whoooho I love that, not even praticing just doing it from scratch...the mind is awsome...thats how i learnt btb weaves biggrin just had a dream about doing it and woke up and i could ubblol anyone else here do that?

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
I dreamed I could do tailwhips (BMX) woke up and pretty much had it nailed. Havent had a fire-based dream yet, although it cant be long in the coming.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I have read about juggling and presume the same applies that you are creating new connections in your brain and you actually continue to learn for about half an hour after you stop. ubbidea

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dragon7

I really like dream poi or "astro" i find is a better word, thats like when u leave your body and go spin some crazy new moves and wake up feeling like you actually did it, then you go and try and you can DO IT ALL! whoooho I love that, not even praticing just doing it from scratch...the mind is awsome...thats how i learnt btb weaves biggrin just had a dream about doing it and woke up and i could ubblol anyone else here do that?

i had a bit of that last night actually, i'm certainly better at poi than i was yesterday! weavesmiley I always find lying in bed and being nearly asleep is a good time for thinking and ideas, when I was younger i found myself dreaming about tetris.... umm

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
Dragon/NOn you may be right...

Every time I learn a new poi move, I'd analyze the moves in my head, practice until I sort of got it (or I reach the point of complete exhaustion). Get a good night's rest and in the morning, it comes almost automatically. It was like something that was missing the day before just fell into place. biggrin

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i laugh. it helps heaps. unless it's at policepeople.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Penguin SvenSILVER Member
185 posts

Posted:
Yes.....I was trying reverse 5 beat weaves, didn't get it right till I had hit myself in the head so many times that I nearly was knocked out.

Well, I played some music and had a rest then went back at it after a few minutes and I was going great,

You just have to take a break every now and so often.

I dream of diong the fountain,.......But I can't

Steve

"glow bugs, to slow to resist eating, to bitter to eat more than one handfull in a sitting" toothpaste for dinner

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Whoah..I dream of diong too, he's a good fountain neh?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
lmfao and OMFG Benders 2nd post in poi forum in 10 yrs ubblol