Forums > Social Chat > Spiiiiiiiinnin' in the rain....

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I know it's certainly been done before but I'd never done it...

Yesterday I had a little poi practice in the park and it started to drizzle. It had been unbearably hot and humid all day so the little bit of rain felt nice. Fortunately I had planned on getting wet so I was dressed appropriately in shorts and a Tshirt. It drizzled for a while... then everyone left except for me... and then it started to POUR. So I popped off my shirt and buried my walkman and cellphone in my pockets in plastic bags (See I was prepared) and even brought a crappy pair of headphones to listen to CDs and didn't care if it shorted out.

WOW! What an experience! It wasn't like a typical steady rain. It was a hard, driving, pouring, strong rain. It felt sooooo good. As I was spinning and dancing in the rain it was especially cool because every different move I'd do would bend my body and make the rain hit different parts of me. It was honestly like a warm massage shower on a really hot day.

The music was perfect. The temperature was perfect. The poi were perfect. And the driving rain felt soooooo nice.

And the only witnesses was the goth chick jumping in the buddles and her two friends making out on the bench.

It was awesome.

Though kissing someone in it would have been nice too. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
biggrin Been there, had that smile - but without the goth chick jumping in puddles obviously. I have to say that rain on a beach, skipping through the surf, is by far the best.

life is good smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ooooo - nice

Rain or Snow though? - that's a tough one...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
rain for me, when it's been hot for a couple of days and it's a humid day and it rains it smells and feels lovely... only smells nice when you're not around a group of hot and wet dogs and it's at its best if you're in a wood with fir trees, all the pine needles on the floor smell sooo good.

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ahhhh, but spinning fire in snow - with that weird silence that snow brings, except the roar of the fire and the crunch under your feet...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I hate rain.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i love rain, but not cold rain, which is unfortunately what it is outside right now. the bummer part is that i really want to film my COL5 entry tonight in order for me to get it in the mail in time. which means being very cold while spinning. however, my friend had a brilliant idea. he said i should spin in a white t-shirt....might guarantee me the win wink

ubblol

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep.

i entered a crossword puzzle competition once and when i did it i was wearing a white t-shirt and i won.

or did i miss the point here...? wink

as for snow vs. rain i'm afraid its snow every time for me. smile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ubblol

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
i am a virgin to fire poi in the snow... got a while to wait till it gets cold enough for now warm rain!!!! except it's quite cold now... hope your spin did good pounce biggrin

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Twirling in the Rain - tis excellent smile

I loves it.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Its the coolest, specially when there are alot of other spinners and u have a 40g drum on fire to keep u warm. Though it should be mentioned to newbs that rain cause's u to get burnt worse. Something to do with conducting heat.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Steam.

Steam burns are much worse.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I just spun fire twice in a downpour... Was absolutely AMAZING. I'd practiced in the rain before ,but somehting bout the mixture of the cool fat raindrops on your face, with the warmth of a flame on you whilst doing a buzzsaw -- amazing.

I would do that forever if I could.

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
biggrin hmm...i think i'd prefer rain...but that's probably because i'm in queensland and we don't do snow here!! hehe! i'd have to travel a long way to get to snow! ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
I've spun fire in the snow before, that was lovely. Really was. smile

But rain...? Wouldn't that put the flames out or dement your wicks? I may be being dim though. tongue

smells like burning teenagers..

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think the thing about getting burned while spinning in the rain is that dry fabric is a good insulator against heat. That's why oven mitts work, right?

Ever tried to use a wet oven mitt? That's a spectacular example of how wet fabric is a good conductor of heat.

Owie. I learned that one the hard way. frown

Oh, and NYC? Whatcha listening to CD's for? That's sooooooo 2002. If I think it might rain and I'm going out, I'll just put my iPod in a zip-lock bag (the kind that actually comes with the little zipper thingie) and run the headphone cord out of one end of it. Works beautifully and I get all my music in MP3licious sound!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Ive spun staff in a slight drizzle last new years eve. My grip got wet, but i did sum throws none the less. Nearly decapitated myself but did it successfully. It didnt burn as long, but the fuel I used was kinda crappy....

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: L i g h t n i n g

I think the thing about getting burned while spinning in the rain is that dry fabric is a good insulator against heat. That's why oven mitts work, right?

Ever tried to use a wet oven mitt? That's a spectacular example of how wet fabric is a good conductor of heat.

Owie. I learned that one the hard way. frown

Oh, and NYC? Whatcha listening to CD's for? That's sooooooo 2002. If I think it might rain and I'm going out, I'll just put my iPod in a zip-lock bag (the kind that actually comes with the little zipper thingie) and run the headphone cord out of one end of it. Works beautifully and I get all my music in MP3licious sound!

Good point on the oven mitt analogy.

And my CD player is an MP3 player too. Which I like better because I can trade them with friends and students more easily. I've got two of Glass' MP3s that I still pop in every now and then.

Unless you were just bragging that you've got money to blow on iPods... in which case:

"Gee, I wish I had enough money to buy an iPod like Mike but I've got all of my money tied up in cash." frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

"Gee, I wish I had enough money to buy an iPod like Mike but I've got all of my money tied up in cash." frown

ubblol

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
hehe smile

Im just surprised at how people brag about listening to lower quality tunes...

wink

I cant talk tho - I listen to Mindiscs ubbloco

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Written by: Josh

Josh

ditto biggrin

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

certifiedloonSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
Written by: Josh

Josh

MInidiscs are great biggrin

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:

I've twirled in rain before, and its nice.... but one of my aims for my first european winter ever is to fire twirl in the snow! Can't wait! (I know, it will probably have me running home for the Perth summer with the 40 degrees celcius weather that i'd be missing, but i can be strong! I'm sure i can be.... really) biggrin

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

fraggleSILVER Member
94 posts

Posted:
spinnin in the rain is so coo u hear the fizzle of the rain aginst ur poi yay

dance your cares away
worries for another day
so let the music play
down in fragle rock

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
ahhhh in camp there use to be the beastiest rain drops it would poor for half an hour at a time to the point where u couldnt c that far away from u, couldnt spin fire though deff wouldnt have wokred, and watch my poi touch the floor and get soaked, meh, stick to glowsticks in the rain ubblove

it must be green

fraggleSILVER Member
94 posts

Posted:
its raining right now in denver

dance your cares away
worries for another day
so let the music play
down in fragle rock

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
I've never really spun in a downpour. Could imagine it being quite nice but I'd rather be in the snow. Definately! ubblove

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
rain- spinning in the rain-ace...

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....