MSG (aah my stomach lining)member
36 posts

Posted:

hey guys

badger was so ingenious st to give me a topic as to what to do for my english study.
mainstream!
what is it?
and what are your views on the topic?
hit me with your quotes!
regards grouphug

-----------------------------------

pa pa pa-pa-pa patrick

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
well, when i think of mainstream i basically think "not me" (if youve seen me dress you'd know what i mean!)
i see it as somehting that is common, usual, even trendy. and basically i dont like it as to me its somehting that people do all the time and often loses its meaning.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by:

i think that this forum has become to popular and m,ainstreem and now people are just talking about crap which has nothing to do with fire, poi, or anyother things that this sight reprisents

dose anyone feel the same way i do?

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

certifiedloonSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
spell check, anyone?

Apart from that... I guess mainstream is down to perspective, what's mainstream to some may be totally unusual to another.

Sorry that's a bit of a cop out and doesn't really help!

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Mainstream to me means pop culture whish isn't something i'm going to escape from unless I build myself a space shuttle and get off of earth.

certifiedloon has a point. depends where you come from, your background etc as to what you think goes under the umbrella that is mainstream.

I was talking about it yesterday with a mini buddy and even the 'alternative' peeps have their own way of being mainstream (not all! I'm only generalising) such as they don't participate in anything they consider to be mainstream and create their own mini-mainstream which is nothing that is mainstream... make sense? Thought so.

Then of course everyone's different even if you're part of the mainstream...

la la la la la

I'm done biggrin

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
To me it's a fashion, or a media thingy, or a fad or a something with way too much exposure to the geneal public for it's own good, that causes many many people to like it, and for the same reason, many people to loathe and avoid it.

Maybe the word mainstream is too mainstream?

koo x

smells like burning teenagers..

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
i'm with the others...mainstream is a perspective thing; but ubbrollsmileIMHO ubbrollsmile its a case of looking at MTV and all the other mcshyte...and then look at the stuff that YOU think is mainstream....like the others said- a tad firecracker to the apple cart...but eh...

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Do a search.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

lllk
182 posts

Posted:
It's the Big bit of the river where all the other little streams come from smile

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:
I think of mainstream as what everybody know about, what everyone can do, it doesn't turn heads, its the norm and common.

Its prolific, its your "mainstream" chain stores, your main tv stations, your major radio stations, and its the ordinary that you can't escape, but never think twice about (if that makes sense?)

Whats that quote about taking the road less travelled? Mainstreams the road most people travel, Alternate or however you want to describe it, is the road less travelled.

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

DFZBRONZE Member
Christian Death Metal Anyone?
313 posts

Posted:
Yeah but the only problem is now bieng Alternitive is becoming Mainstream. All alternitve clothing is bieng sold at shops that are aimed for the younger generation, but what really annoys me is when people wear spikes and a Blink 182 shirt an call them selves "punk."

Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?
-- Steven Wright

MSG (aah my stomach lining)member
36 posts

Posted:
thats really good and i'm well on my way in my essay
keep themcomming.

P.S and my essay will be spell checked.

-----------------------------------

pa pa pa-pa-pa patrick

Dirty Marmite SpiderClimbing up my leg
141 posts

Posted:
I don't think mainstream is something you can really define. Everyone conforms to something. I've never met a person who doesn't conform to some kind of stereotype some of the time.

It is definitely all about the way you view it. Example: to some people I look really square. I have a job, I pay my rent and taxes and I wear a shirt to work. But then plenty of people think I'm odd because I have a spike through my face and dress alternatively, and work for a 'hippy' charity. The truth is you can't win. There were kids at my school who had the piss taken out of them for being 'geeky', but if they changed the way they dressed to fit in they had the piss taken out of them for trying to be cool.

Everyone is unique, and it's impossible for a mainstream to exist because there will always be exceptions and different viewpoints. The truth is people and things conform sometimes and not at others. there isn't really a consistency.

Just my opinion though. biggrin

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
mainstream is the biggest pigeon youse ever seen. smile

it's the pigeonhole youse is put in if you dun fit the others. ubblol
EDITED_BY: bender™ (1086306545)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
mainstrem isent shocking

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
what about excessive banality? sometimes the lack of imagination *is* shocking, just as it is shocking to hear the silence after a Sepultura concert!

Under Pale Grey Skies We Will Arise!
heh heh

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always