Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i've looked through this board to see if there were any other threads on this and i couldnt find any...

last week i bought one of those coloured ribbons (like rythmic gymnasts use) and i was wondering if anyone else played with them. i used to play with them when i was little but it was so long ago im back at square one!

beerchug

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I had a lot of fun doing poi stype stuff with ribbons for a day a couple years ago at burningman. It was fairly windy, which helped a lot I think. I haven't done it since because I thrashed that set of ribbons and well... it's just not very manly I suppose. A guy can get away with doing something like that at burningman, but not in normal reality. shame that...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Humm I had some ribbons but I cannibalized them to make poi tails with wasn’t very good with just the ribbon on its own. We are talking those ones on sticks right??? confused

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
yeah...and they wold make nice poi tails.... spankno! my ribbon cost me more tham my poi!!!!!!!!

but yeah, the ribbons on sticks that make pretty waves and stuff when u play with them however when ur little like me they're really hard to keep off the ground!

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
It's not just about your size honey, they're hard to keep off the ground even when you're tall (not that I am). It's been a age since I last played with one...............actually I tell a lie there, Glass let me play with his a couple of summers ago (possibly.........or did I just make that up......errerr not sure.....*bloody memory keeps failing*)

It all depends on what you're trying to do with them. The best way to start is by keeping yourself moving. If you stand still and try to make circles you'll end up with a very twisted ribbon.

Try starting by playing with small vertical circles about eye height, then start skipping around and you'll see a beautiful corkscrew of ribbon trailing behind you.
It helps if you stick to small movements rather than big ones when you're first starting, that way you don't destroy the ends while you're learning.

Keep us posted on how you get on smile

Snuggles

Lisa
ubbrollsmile

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
some ribbon vid would be cool. I got mine from my sister she used to do gymnastics when she was little didn’t realize they cost so much unless you mean cost more than you poi I.e. poi made of string and tennis balls *GRIN* but they do make the best tails though I kept them quite long is an art not to get them tangled. biggrin

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
my poi arent string and tennis balls...they're shoelaces and sandbags! biggrin

i always wanted to do rythmic gymnastics (the type that uses the ribbon) but the nearest club was an hour away...so just artistic for me then!

^^francesca^^me!
121 posts

Posted:
they had a circus skills class at my old school once and my friends got taught how to do it....looks really impressive on a big scale...... peace

was hibernating through winter.....oh and summer i spose...ok im just lazy

PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
maybe you should ask an athlete of gymnastics that knows how to play with ribbons.
In my opinion you cant do much with them.only spirals and some shapes that they are not very impressive.Offcourse they look impressive when a 12 years old girl does them,because while she is doing this her leg is behind her head, and when she throws the ribbon as it comes back she does a couple of flic-flacs.But in any way if you leave your imagination free you could find new things to do with 1 or 2 ribbons ubbidea that could not even remind the sport of gymnastics and they could be more impressive smile

The only thing constant in life is change...

Puck Dallasmember
23 posts

Posted:
cirques du solie uses ribbons not to mention gymnasts, balerina's, and alot of other forms. I devolped some fire ones a bout a year ago though I have yet to take it out of the drawing board. Been to poor and buisy chainmailing, knotting and weaveing. With multiple tails you can even mix it up and use different colored fuels for the tail. This is not a toy for kids. If anyone is interested I could probably make a few. I make and sell alot of custom toys. hit me with a message and maybe we can work something out.

graceBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
they sound fun i really wanna try it out. Are they expensive to buy or can u make your own?

are there many moves u can do#/? can u apply poi moves to ribbons? weavesmiley

Hold my breath when you are near
so i don't have to breath you in
look away before i start to endorse
your eyes full of hate and remorse
in to the eye of another
be the silence that screams

Stormy, Queen of VodkaThe HoP Industrial Rainbow Fairy
385 posts

Posted:
yeah I've got one and I use it an awful lot. It's my primary source of spinning really. The moves are damn simple. Spirals, figure-eights and right to left whipping motions look cool, also try a huge figure-eigh around your body, crossing over your shoulders, and up-ending the spiral over your head and rotating slowly to revolve it around down to your waist. being 6 metres, mine is a bit unruly at times, but I've found that 4 metres is the idea and most versatile length. You CAN apply poi moves to ribbons, but you really have to make the movements bigger and wider and more exaggerated. I got my ribbon from a shop called Hedonic in southsea, and it was a tenner. Pretty inexpensive really once you think about it. It's kinda like a dance when you get going, and I always find it best to do it to music. The music carried you off and you end up creating moves in your head instinctively. Try throwing it up in the air and catching it as well, looks pretty cool! passing it from hand to hand and spinning two at the same time also looks pretty professional, but I'll stop waffling now cause I'm just telling you all obvious stuff!

If anyone DOES have any info on websites that illustrate moves or techniques I'd be really interested to know about it though

†.You've got invisible fangs and cherry nun bangs,
Your erotic cabaret is non stop
You're wearing too many belts
And I bet they leave welts
Shut up and dance cause I wanna pop.†

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
After ages not playing with it, I'm back with my ribbon and playing with it more than my poi! I'm finding that the incredibly basic moves that I still have I can apply to it easily enough (one-handed cartwheels for instance) and I'm managing to throw it up and catch it with a stride leap in the middle.

I'm thinking of making myself a white one for raving. Would be very awesome!

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
Sp I bought supplies to attempt a fire ribbon, actually before i saw this threa, and now i am happy i did...
i bought flst wickin that isnt offered on this site... it is only 1/16" thick instead of 1/8", and it is 3/4" wide, so it is skinny.

i was concerned about weiight of the wick with fuel. however i could upgrade to 1" wide i suppose.

the wick was fairly cheap. i bought 50 feet of it, and it cost only $25 USD.

at the same site i saw a ribboon called skywriter hat was attached to a 8 foot pole or so and it had 32 feet of ribbon...

so, from folks who have an idea what theyre doing:

1. how long should i go? keeping in mind i am a noob at ribbons...
2. how long should the pole be?
3. should i weight the far end? if yes, how much?

Any other general advice would be great. i want to make it ASAP so i can practice with it enough to light it sometime relatively soon... i dont really hvae a good conception of how much fire their will be though, since it is so incredibly thing, i dont think it will absorb much fuel or stay lit for long, that my greatest concern...

if anyone can offer better advice as far as construction designs, that would be cool too, though the 1/16" x 3/4" is already in the mail...

also, with the extra, i was thinkinf of making just 3 foot or so pieces, 2 of them, weighted on one end and attached to chain on the other, and using them like poi... what does everyone think????

thanks!

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
i constructed my fire ribbon -

The stick is approx. 30 inches long, made of aluminum conduit.

The ribbon is made of 1/16 x 3/4" wick. It is 12 feet long.

I actually used about 1 inch of ball chain and connectors to connect to ribbon to the stick, so it would have a swivel, and would not wrap around itself.

I played with it very briefly, but it is very very cold outside so I want some more time with it.

I am debating to make the ribbon longer... I have another piece of wick that is 37 feet long. I was thinking of going with 15 or 16 feet instead of 12. I have yet to decide. I will play with the 12 for a little while longer, first.

The wick is heavier than normal ribbons should be, so it is a little less graceful, but i think it will work out.

I do not know what it will be like once soaked nor how long it will stay lit nor any of those things. with weather so cold, it is not an optimal time for experimenting.

Any ideas on length? Comments? Suggestions? Moves? Anything? I know someone has to have some advice for me... Seriously!

I have posted a picture of the connection on my ribbon in my gallery, if anyone has any advice as to how to improve it...

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
here's a suggestion....its not too cold to burn and get a piccie wink

it looks spiffy though...

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
i am a part of prometheus, a fire dancing troupe at my uni (wesleyan university, in connecticut) and i organized a trip to another uni in upstate new york last week, and we danced for an hour in the snow, and froze to death. seriously.

plus, the bigger problem is that the dry air and the temperature affect your white gas evaporation rates, as well as how dry your clothes are, among other things, and i know i saw more people pants catch fire that night that i have in a while. (Always just contact/transfer flames, always put out easily, no one hurt, not even any rined clothing) but that is not something i am willing to risk with the ribbon right now, considering i have never used it and i am not 100% sure how it will work.

besides i am cold outside when i am in full jacket and hat and gloves with 2 shirts and a sweater on! i am not going to strip down to a tshirt! the wind the past few days has been ridiculous!

a pic will come as soon as possible, i promise...

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
Fiery Pics!!!

I lit my ribbon tonight.

There are 2 photos in my gallery of it!!!

However the design needs work. It goes out in about 20 seconds, even if you dont crack it or spin off in anyway. the 1/16" wick just is not thick enough. i am going to play some more wiht new designs and adding more wicking, possibly a little shorter as it is 12 feet long now and i dont think that is helping, especially as right now the last 1 foot goes out almost instantly.

Soi there are pics of fiery goodness. I have a 2 week break from uni starting ina few days. i will work more on design then and update again...

tell me what you think!!!