funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
has anyone made that tipe of poi or hve any glue how i can make me some Firesocks ubbidea

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
they are called ropes, because they are a length of fire rope, with a knot at the bottom and a handle at the top. the whole rope burns, they are vvvvvery pretty. but not for bigginers.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
sorry nx?

i have a set of rope poi but i want real sock poi that i can set on fire

with a cone shape

and i spinn poi since 3 years

only a beginner at staff twirling ubbloco
EDITED_BY: funken (1081036383)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
do you think the diffrence between a cone shape and a rope shape will be all that noticable when on fire?

is it worth the trouble of platting your own kevlar, which i think is the only way its gonna happen.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
i think its a difference because its a larger surface and you can fill the kevlar socks with something absorbant then it holds more fuel and burns better than a rope poi wink

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
cool, go for it. i always thought ropes ran out too soon.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
yea i`l test it out
i`l give you a feedback how it works
thanks for the burnoff tips

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... at first I thought that sounded kinda silly, but you may have an idea there. Sounds like the kind of thing that would get REALLY hot and have a HUUUUUGE flame though, so it might not be the safest thing out there, but I digress...

I'm thinking maybe make a conical/sock of some pretty thick kevlar. Make a small monkey fist knot of thin kevlar rope to put in the bottom of the "sock" (just like you would if you were making tennis ball/tube sock poi). Then fill the rest of the "sock" with kevlar rope or something.

You would need to make sure it was all tied together somehow, to avoid safety/structural integrity issues. I'm thinking cable holding onto the monkey fist knot and going up the middle of all of it.

Sounds like a neat idea, but it sounds like a big investment in alot of kevlar with no guarantees, as well as a big hot thing that would probably weigh a good 450 grams or more when wet and ready to burn.

These are just ideas, not complete, just make sure it's SAFE!!!

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
How about this:

2 lengths of 4" wide Kevlar.
Cut them into a long triangle with a rounded bottom.
Put whatever absorbant material you want in between them including a weight at the rounded end and sew them together with Kevlar thread.
Put a grommet through it at the thin end and attach to chains.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
i thought about this
but if you cut the kevlar it will fray out

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
With the right sewing skills this can be avoided or as a last resort, white school glue can work too.

The only real flaw, I can see in that design is that the kevlar thread might burn up too fast leaving the poi to split open spewing its innards everywhere. This can be somewhat avoided by using single stitches all around and replacing any broken/damaged threads as necessary.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
oh oh i think they cost me a lots of money but i love sockpoi and i want them with fire
i thought about roling a wide kevlar wick into a cone form and save this with school glue and sewing then you have the hole sock from one part hope you understand what i mean