Page:
[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yes folks, its a whole lotta fun.

its not backwards weave, its 'reverse', against the grain.

it goes a little something like this.

poi spin forwards wheel plane,

right poi crosses to underneith left arm.

then they swap positions so the the right arm is ontop, (the difficult bit)

then the left poi crosses the body underneith the right (the difficult bit)

the the right poi comes across, and then round under the left to start the motion again
ubbloco

bassically its a weave, but the hand positions are upside down.

youll find you kneed to seperate them to do this and that also theres a bit of thread the kneedle going on, as if you try this both on the same plane you get a hyperloop.

this goes onto the other possibility of 'reverse' weave, which is what i call 'cooking the loop'

when you hyperloop you can use the 'reverse' weave motion to twist it up on the hand side of the hyperloop while its twisting outside also. transition this and you should get lots of beat of unwinding, even more if you keep going with the 'reverse' motion.

im thinking that 'reverse' is a bad name mybe, but hey *shrug*

almost everyhting else can be done reverse too, go have a look....

prizes for the first person to cleanly make a backwads butterfly go from front to btb to bth.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
oooo....

that sounds like fun.

nice clear description too smile

ill try this in a moment and find out how hard it is, no doubt, but we will see.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

HighwaymanBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
How about "inverse weave" wink

This is interesting, also playing around with this, I'm seeing a wall plane ttn like move with both poi spinning in the same direction, should be fairly easy in normal time, it would just cross over on half beats at the top and bottom of the circle.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yup.

the ttn thing is totally right, but inverse weave has already been taken, sorry (another name for a buzzsaw weave, lookitup biggrin )

T wave

-><- Kallisti

HighwaymanBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
Heh, must have missed that one. But hey thats why I have a thesaurus. If you are still unsatisfied with "reverse weave" how about inverted, transposed, or transplaced weave smile

Anyway, off to play....

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
How about the "Broken Weave" since youre no longer actually weaving.

Also, a question. Does this move take place in a single circle like a normal weave or are they actually seperated?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Oh, and do I get any prizes for being able to get reverse butterfly from BTB to BTH with only 1 poi? smile If not, Im sure Ill get both hands in like 5 mins wink

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
no, they sort of seperate, infact the line up paralell for a minute when they cross. I think maybe you can get them together, but the jury is out on how.

no icon, not for 1 hand, and you have to be able to do it with the btb portion pointing stright back, not with the hand out sideways, thats cheating! tongue

'ultimate contortionist' prizes for reverse weave btb. ubbloco

T wave

-><- Kallisti

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Dont see how it would be possible to go BTB - BTH without your hand pointing outwards. Limbs get in the way if you spin true BTB and go BTH. Only way I found to do it so far is to have your elbow BTB with your hand pointing out at around your waist. Bring it up and BTH when the poi begins its upward arch.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo, exactly.

you have to turn the whole arm to go from one to the other, cos the elbows have to point the other direction. add to that the fact your going against the grain to move it, and suddenly it all looks much harder. but i assure you its possible, just start without the poi and just the hand positions first.

have fun.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Bah, I give up on that one for now. Maybe once I get my reverse flowers down right Ill give this one a second go.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
i re read it and trie to do it but i jsut dont get it confused u spin it worward but....wait..recap: normal weave= right poi does both spins on left side and left poi does 2 spins on right side... revesring it from that point would be impossible lol by physucal law... i dunno maybe a vid or u can explain waht kindof effect it does umm

it must be green

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
like wait... lol i tried this again.. if my right poi starts off under my left arm it cant go over unless i cross them over to my gith side...and that would be a normal weave frown unless i i make it spin within my arsm but for that the poi woudl avhe to be bout 7 inch long in its full lengh cus thats the space i have.....
k i'm not getting this ubbcrying

it must be green

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
ive just learned this in same time/paralle time.. seems alot easier that way...

been trying it in split time, but my planes go all wonkey frown...

more practise for me smile

o and joulz, i dont think it would work with really long poi, as you need to be able to separate them, it seems ok with my poi, which are just under arm length though smile

of course i could be doing the wrong thing.

and howzabout anti weave?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo, im comming round to thinking it should be called anti-weave which lets face it is a much cooler name ubblol

joolez, some clarification:

say we start with the right poi comming across underneith to the left side.

the left poi then comes over above and moves to the outside plane.

the right poi then anti-spins upwards between the left poi and the body whilst the left poi spins downwards.

after 1 rev the left poi transfers through the plane of the right and across to the right side of the body underneith the right arm.

the right poi then joins it and goes to the outside plane.

then the left poi spins up inside whilst the right does down and through the plane to start the sequence again on the left side.

there is a degree of seperation required, but as long as you keep one poi inside the other you dont have to seperate them totally.

youll notice that its dead easy to hyperloop them in this position, thats because the natural state of a loop is the clash between an anti-spin and normal spin.

your planes do go wonky, but kneed to be kept sttraight for it to work. a great one for keeping you in line! tongue

hope this helps.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
perfect!

have been waiting for someone to do this for a looooong time biggrin

tom you are an absolute demon cool

if you can do all these you now have what i refer to in my little head as the 'full weave set'.

it came from thinking about the 3bt bf weave.

there are four ways to do it:

left poi fwd, right poi rev - fwd weave motion

left poi fwd, right poi rev - rev weave motion

right poi fwd, left poi rev - fwd weave motion

right poi fwd, left poi rev - rev weave motion

add to these the two normal 3bt weaves:

right poi fwd, left poi fwd - fwd weave motion

right poi rev, left poi rev - rev weave motion

which leave the two 'anti-weaves' you describe above for a full set:

right poi fwd, left poi fwd - rev weave motion

right poi rev, left poi rev - fwd weave motion

the full weave set contains every possible combination of poi direction with 3bt weave hand movements.

which is the stuff in bold there smile

i can't do all 4 bf weaves even so don't expect me to be learning the anti's any time soon rolleyes

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i was thinking about it in a similar way to that too, except not with bf weave, with figure of eight...

there are four ways to do that too.

forewards right hand on top
forewards left hand on top
backwards right hand on top
backwards left hand on top

so it kinda makes sense that there are four 'weaves'... or thats what i was thinking to myself shortly after i first read this thread...

i havnt thought about there being four butterfly weaves beofre though. so thanks for mentioning that beerchug

peace

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep.

by the same token, there's another 8 2bt bf weaves too smile

if you put the two fwd 2bt weaves together (by adding an extra circle on each side to swap which is on top) you get a fwd 3bt weave. ubbidea

you can tell poi'ers from club swingers by this distinction usually - i learnt what a 2bt weave was by breaking down a 3bt weave whereas clubswingers will usually learn the two cross-follows (2bt weaves) in one direction and then learn to extend it by adding an extra circle to swap between them.

i stumbled across the other two 3bt weave versions when someone told me about how 3bt bf weaves worked 4 ways.

i immediately transferred it (in my head) back to the cross-follow 3bt weave giving me the normal two weaves and the components for anti-weaves.

so i tried to spin one.

and got very stuck.

and since i rarely post about things i can't spin (i.e. things which i'm not sure about how they work), i never mentioned it to anyone except jonnny.

i still don't get how they fit but i know i'll see [nx] eventually and he'll be really good at them by then wink

tom, can we create a special prize for the first person to spin a 5bt anti-weave?

if not for that then simply for the full weave set (all spun with the same time natch - either follow-time or split-time).

unless you can spin all 8 bits already... ubbangel

peace

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Yes. you can make a prize for 5 beat, you dont have to ask me.

and yes, i claim the full weave prize ubbloco (well, dodgily, you want 180 plane brakes with that?)

T wave

-><- Kallisti

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Yes. you can make a prize for 5 beat, you dont have to ask me.

and yes, i claim the full weave prize ubbloco (well, dodgily, you want 180 plane brakes with that?)

ya read my mind - just edited and changed it to 'can we create a prize' hug

and spotless plane breaks aren't required ubblol

i reckon you can get away with a little bit of 'v' with me wink

edit: and that was your 2000th post by the way tom biggrin

nice one and all that hug

ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: coleman (1081269537)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
i can do it four beat split time, and 5 beat same time, with the same hand movements as a 4 beat same time and 5 beat split time butterfly weaves. which is odd. cant do a 3 beat one at all...

--Ben

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
so... all thqat stuff NX was desribing is a for motion rev weave and vice-versa? lol
btw wahtsa plane? so i can understand better waht your saying?

it must be green

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

btw wahtsa plane?

[Old link]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I may never be able to do any of these moves but I do understand what you all are saying.

Can I suggest the term "Converse" for moving one's arms in the opposite direction that the poi are going?

This really isn't a reverse weave (as Nx stated) but it is related. If I video tape a weave and play it backwards you get a traditional reverse weave.

"Converse" would then better describe things like flowers and this newfangled weaves you all talk about here. It seems like this is a NEW concept in some aspects that are being developed and it would be nice to have a name that doesn't confuse the newbies.

Oh wait... How about "retrograde"... that works too. "Retro" weave? Damn it, now I like them both. "Retrograde" is actually the perfect scientific definition of what's going on. Hang on... (runs off to make his case)...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
on spercaulism (sp?) we have been calling the phenomenon 'anti-spin' so this wouve would be an 'anti-spin weave'

T wave

-><- Kallisti

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
would it be possbile to post a tutorial on spechulism?

it must be green

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Antispin weave indeed.

That's exactly what retrograde means but sounds somewhat less geeky.

As long as we don't call it 'reverse' I'm cool.

Is there any way someone could come over to my house and teach it to me? I could make tea.

Thanks! wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BreizzzeBabymember
2 posts

Posted:
Quote:

prizes for the first person to cleanly make a backwads butterfly go from front to btb to bth.

Yep been doing this a while one of my faves, got called the angel by my mate cuz if you dont keep it tight it looks like an angel apparently - but dont try this in front of a mirror it can get real painful. goes down quite well in dance clubs too.

Had one real good smack on the nose when I bought it infront and the poi collided and both went straight for the end of my nose - god the agony thought I'd broke it eek

Just make sure that the leading hand is a few mil in front of the following hand. beerchug

without breizzze fire will not burn, without fire earth is cold and barren

^^francesca^^me!
121 posts

Posted:
umm can i try.......

start by swinging both poi backwards alternatley (obviously)

then as the left poi reaches the bottom of it's circle bring the right poi across and over the top and start to swing the left round to your right side.....

once i could do that you just play around with it until you get it going continuously..... just keep trying ......

if i have confused you even more i am deeply sorry....lol biggrin

was hibernating through winter.....oh and summer i spose...ok im just lazy

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
from waht i understood and i'm probably way more confused than u r
u gotta spin the poi forward while creating the reverse motion with your hands as if u were doing a reverse weave... prob got that wrong but that would explain the name anti weave since oposites cancel each other but... where it doesnt make sense is tht if u spin backwards, how can u spin forward confused
well get it eventually Ðraghkyre

it must be green

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
watch your hands guys:

with a fwd weave you bring your hands from underneath the other arm, back across to its natural side and back over to on top of the other arm.

with a rev weave you do the opposite of this - move a hand from on top, back to its natural side and back underneath the other arm.

so spin a rev weave over and over and over and over, until the hand/arm movement is imprinted on your brain.

now start with the poi spinning fwd and try to recreate the arm movements from the rev weave.

a separation is required on each side to avoid tangles.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: