arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Ok... now this threadis for everyone who has a problem with something other than twirl'in...

As for me, coming from Australia, I want to know what the deal is with all these little kids dressing up as homies... I mean I'm not pick'in on the US homies... cos they could kick my arss six times befor I touched the ground... but all these 12 year olds wearing these things, and smoking... I mean how do they expect to grow into those pants if they are stumping their grouth...

sigh...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I wear pants like that, I don't smoke, don't do drugs.

Of course, I wear a belt, I mean. True I sag every now and then because it feels comfortable, at the right time mind you. But my personality is surrounded on varity.

//start rant

But yea, I agree Arsn. The people doen drugs, losin' their virginity, and "letting it all hang out" at age 12 (i've seen people in as low as 3rd grade) is stupid. It's throwing your life out that early.

Pisses me off, bad guys ruin it for the good. Their the type of people that make my parents not allow me goto a sleepover when there are girls there (and we're sleeping on the opposite side of the house, and the parents are in the middle of the house on a squeaky floor which makes enough noise to wake up the people next door).

Also, I can't go out with friends on the spur of the moment (I just got out of an arguement with parents over this) without answering Who's gonna be there, what the event is, when it's scheduled to start and end, and where.

//end rant

But yeah. I wear it because it's comfortable and I'm gettin' good enough grades for my parents to let me wear anything, and do anything I want to do as long as it isn't "Sex, drugs, or anything that you don't consult me with before hand..."

Cazzarmember
53 posts

Posted:
ok tell me what's with kids that young dressing in fashion in the first place i mean really ..they're too young to understand what the hell fashion is anyway...i remember back in my day all i wore was a pair of track pants and a t-shirt and i would play in that sleep in it...play the next day in the same thing...and not change unless my parents insisted i did...or did it for me..who do their parents think they're trying to impress anyway?
plus it's kinda exploitation...i see little kids that are like 6 and 7 all dressed up in little flares and tight tops...how can you play in the sand pit with that on...without getting a big wedge?

1,325 posts

Posted:
Plus, when you're 6 and 7, you have nothin' to show off

But I just reached the conclusion... kids are growing up to fast.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
it is really weird...

when i was in fifth grade we wore t-shirts and jeans. the next year things started to change .. but... i dunno.

i got caught up in some of taht culture. I felt weird cause i was 14 and hadn't kissed a guy yet. otehr things like that... i did some pretty stupid shit, "b/c i should..." i guess i see now taht it's not like that but it was weird at the time.

and third graders now wear little tank tops and stuff... i don't get it.

the middle school in the district i'm in now has people getting drunk in teh bathroom, seventh graders are stoned at h.s. football games....

even where i used to go to school one of the middle schools had to lock teh bathrooms b/c of smoking (thank god we didn't have to at my otehr h.s., at this one i actually cough and my eyes water when i walk into the one open bathroom.. and never during break)... at my middle school, the otehr one, we had a ton of violence incidents... knifes, a teacher got slammed into a wall, anotehr one got beat by a chain (one of the few studenst ever to get expelled from teh district...)

and let me make things worse. i went to one of the top five or ten schools in my state. and i really did. it's just... even there teenagers arn't really taht anymore...

i dunno, sorry, i'm done ranting

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Cazzarmember
53 posts

Posted:
yeah...i fully recon that's it's really scary how young kids are doing drugs...getting pregnant at 13 or 14...drinking...etc...kids are growing up too fast..also there's the whole factor of wee girls who are worried about their body wieght and size etc at 11 and 12...it's pretty much society that has caused kids to be the way they are and to think the way they do...it's so sad that kids can't be kids anymore they're in too much of a hurry to grow up...yeah well growing up SUX!!! you have to pay more for movies and bus fares...that's all it means..oh and tax and bills...yay!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Where I grew up, we had a mob of the miniature homies, who used to try & roll people in the local shoppng centre.

Later at uni I met this guy who used to be in a far more serious gang, who had been up in my old neighbourhood with some mates doing some business. They encountered the lil' homies, who tried to roll them for their wallets. Much mirth & merriment was experienced (fortunately no violence). I don't think those little kids had had anyone laugh directly in their faces before...

having spent some time talking to that guy at uni, I don't see why anyone is in such a hurry to grow up into that culture. It looks great from the outside, & it has its draw, but it can seriously screw you up...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

1,903 posts

Posted:
Thanks... I'm not the only one... I wasn't sure if this thread would get going... but I do agree with you all... kids should be just that... kids...

Why do they want to be older than they are, I honestly would do anything to relive my childhood,... play with matchbow and hotwheels cars and G.I.Joe... those were the days.

But as I have been thinking about this, the kids aren't growing up on their own free will, I think it is because the brand are become easier to buy in their sizes... what I mean is the people behind the fashion range is telling these children that this is what they should be wearing... and not asking what they want to wear...

Now I sometimes do wear a pair of baggy shorts that I have, and the reason that I have these pants was they were the only pair that I liked and could found that looked good on me. I'm a tall person... not that tall, but still tall... and these pants are 3/4 shorts so they don't look to baggy but are more long.

but I'm getting side tracked... all I'm saying is if fashion gurus would ask the kids insted of telling them what they want, then maybe they woul still be kids...

1,325 posts

Posted:
Doesn't that make some kids want to make their own styles and make their own clothes then become fashion designers?

1,903 posts

Posted:
yeah... but that's not the point...

1,325 posts

Posted:
Hehe I know

Acidmember
110 posts

Posted:
um and what about those 7 yr' olds wearing dinky bikinies? i mean that's kinda scary.
maybe parents try those clothes on their kids 'cause they wish they could look like that or something. like when a kid tries to fullfill sp? his parents dream by being a lawyer? he doesn't really want it but they pressure him? well here it's not pressure but it's still stupid.
i was also one of those pants and t-shirt kids and i kinda thought up my own style.
those kids are doomed !!!!!!!!
um yeah...you're probly thinking what the -peep- does she want...

peace and love

life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans John Lennon

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
and once again this is why I love the movie fight club. The whole movie Tyler durden(brad pitt) is talking about how materialistic everyone is nowadays. He talks about being yourself and not following popular culture. Thats why narrator(ed norton) forms tyler durden in his mind, because he was his escape from the society that corporations built.

I'm a guy and i wear big baggy jeans cause i feel comfortable in em. The shirt i usually wear don't deviate much from the standard black. I also wear alot of jewelery(spike bracelets, ballchain necklace,etc). My gf however wears the "hoochie wear" small tops, tight tight tight pants(not saying she can't pull it off,she looks damn good) but the thing is, is that i know what people automatically think of her when they see her. I've heard people talk and i know i thought the same before i got to know her. They think she's a slut,farthest thing from the truth though. It aggrivates me to see little kids dressed like that cause they aren't smart enough to know what to do and what not to do. a girl who wears clothes like that is more likely to do sumthing stupid because she will have tons more guys coming after her as opposed to the girl wearing big jeans and a t-shirt.

And nobody is themselves anymore.
My gf tried to get me to dress differently,, and i said ok we will see what looks good, cause i figure my outward apperance isn't gonna affect who i am on the inside, it'll change what people think but thats not my problem. None of it really looked good so i'm sticking with my "rocker wear".

I say no one is themselves because around here the you have the wiggers and the rockers, and then they people who are themselves.
The wiggers wear big puffy northfaces, all the same color, grey with black shoulders, they wear gold chains and feel the need to act as if they are "black",, i put that in quotations because there isn't any real way to act black,, but they act like the modern perseption of them, thug , asshole, treat women like shit.

The rockers, don't ahve any set wardrboe except for big ,usually tatered jeans, band T-shirts, ballchain necklaces, spiked bracelets. Usually their mindset is that being a slacker is cool, and they have little no no respect for their parents. oh they also follow what modern culture says and treat women like crap.

The ones who are being themselves, are usually the kids who people look at and say why is he wearing that. It's the kid that doesn't seem to fit in with anyone. He's the kid who might express how he actually feels and not try to hold back so he can fit in with the crowd.

I'm cool with everyone. As long as you not an asshole i'll get along with you. But the people who fit into the first 2 groups generally won't sociallize with people outside of the group.

and that my freinds is what highschool is doing to people.
Being that i'm wokring now and being around older folk more,, you realize how much bullshit HS is . and when i see people who still have the same mentallity of HS i can't stand to talk to them.
seriously grow the fuck up.

ummm what was this topic about again?
oh yeah little girls wearing small tops N stuff is wrong.

We are defined by the choices we make

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
ravers are undermined by sillness too.

I do agree with the points regarding the dangers of immaturity - BUT i do not necessarily agree with the association with age. Ever seen a 50 year old tourist throw a tantrum? or a 7 year old perform a helicopter (staff) throw? One day (Allah willing) when we're 64 we will all realise that the farther away from our simple, happy youth, the less we understand how frusttrating it was to be treated in such a condescending way. For silly folk like me, age makes no difference when you slap a pelican with an egg-beater.

mmmm eggs.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
mmmm, pelicans....
i thinks that kids these days ure under a great ammount of pressure to grow up faster. This is because of the way they get treated by older people. like if youre 12 and you want to stay home one night when your parents arent there, quite often they will say "only if you can prove to me that youre mature enough" or "no, youre too young". these children feel like they need to act older to get respect and trust. Their parents dont TRUST them at home untill they feel that the child is MATURE enough. Maybe if people start treating kids like kids, not incompetant, half finished creations, they would feel more comortable being young... Let them make mistakes, and learn from them.....

Fire... A bushmans telly

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
sarah.... maybe the parents are treating the kids like kids by telling them there to young. Haven't parents done that for ages? It's when the parents say ok you can take care of the house alone tonight when the kid is young that stupid stuff happens. The parents allowing their kids to think they are older than they are is the problem me thinks.

We are defined by the choices we make

1,903 posts

Posted:
Cats and Dogs, Cats and Dogs... don't worry about me... I'm just hungry...

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
thats what im trying to say here, sory about my wording, but i am trying to say that parents are putting emmence pressure on their children to grow up so they can do what they want and this sounds very appealing to children. If they parnets just say "no, youre too young", not "only if you show youre mature enough", then these children would not feel obliged to act older... they just know they are to young, and when theres no other option presented, they wont start trying to be adults...
Arsn: go get some food

Fire... A bushmans telly

1,903 posts

Posted:
Yeah... I better... oh oh... we have gold fish...

Runs off down stairs...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have a 7 year old boy and I don't live vicariously through his wardrobe. We agree on what he can wear and what he likes. Kids these age, while kids, still have opinions and voices and are not even close to being as uninformed as we think. My son constantly surprises me with his knowledge. His opinions are his and not mine at all. He knows what he thinks looks "cool". He sees older kids, people on tv, even some in his own class and he likes the looks of different styles, so he wants to emulate it. A huge influence, for example, is Whipping Boy's 22 year old brother and my nephew Greg who is 20. My son thinks they are close to gods. What they wear he wants to wear. He has a bunch of zip off pants (which I don't mind) and such. I do draw the line at too big, and so does he. He wears belts. That's the agreement. My son likes visors upside down and backward. Drives me nuts but it doesn't hurt anyone and if he gets picked on, he made that choice and needs to understand there are consequences to choices. However, I am very proactive in my kid's life. I hate these little snots running around thinking they can tell me to F*#k off. Oh no! I am still bigger, therefore their butt is mine.
Unfortunately the law has all these issues about discipline that makes many parents afraid to make their kids cry cause what would the neighbors think? So they just don't say no.
Another peeve are the parents too involved. Noah has this classmate whose mother is involved in absolutely everything her son does. The poor boy has no breathing room (literally she is a classroom mother, she is the den mother for scouts, she is assistant coach for his sports, she prolly still wipes his butt!)

My friend has a little girl who at 6 knew what the Tommy Hilfiger (sp??) insignia looked like and would only pick out clothes in the store with it on it. Again, not my friends choice but advertising aimed at kids. Watch the ads sometime. Thank god I have a boy though. They don't really make sexy boy clothes, just sexy guys to go in the clothes, you know? When I was a kid I wanted to be grown up, fashion is a way that kids feel grown up (hence putting on mom and dad's clothes etc, and trapsing about the house). Marketing houses saw this and noted it is a money maker, and they make the ads for it, promoting it on Nickelodeon and in kids magazines and such. Parents don't want to fight with kids in public so they give in to the temper tantrums. Parents aren't all to blame here, but some are.
My sister allows my 13 year old neice to wear butt showing daisy dukes and such. Yes it is my sisters fault for allowing it, and I do worry for my neice. She has no body to fill the clothes she wears and it is good cause otherwise I don't think it would cover her! I could wring my sisters neck for allowing her to cut her clothes that way.

And for what it is worth, as a parent I learned to do two things.

1. Stun him with example: ie:When he throws a temper tantrum, I throw a bigger one. I stood in the middle of a store parking lot one day throwing a full blown temper tantrum to show him how it is supposed to be done. My friend cracked up, and my son was so stunned he forgot what he was whining about in the first place. (The looks from other people were hysterical as well)

2. Agree with him. I do this in three ways. When he makes a bad choice and gets in trouble I agree with why he did it, showing I understand, and then talk with him about better choices. Then he gets punished. If he wants something I put an age limit on it. Yes he can have his ear pierced at 8. He can have his hair colored any time he wants. He can get a tatoo at 18, temporary ones when he wants. He gets what he wants, and so do I...peace! Lastly, agree and expound. He will say things to shock us or attempt to make us upset (PWB falls for this all the time!). Instead agree and add on something really stupid to turn it around on him. He was being especially irritating one day, as they will do, and he made some off the cuff remark about my housemate smelling bad...and we agreed but told him we were going to actually use it as his punishment, that he would have to wash the housemate's feet. He behaved after that.
It's about picking and choosing battles, and really clothes aren't that big of a battle. If these wanna be's want to show their parts to the world, let them. If they want to smoke, they are killing themselves. The sex thing scares me though...alot. However, weak parents make for ignorant children I think.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK