Forums > Help! > one/no handed cartwheels

Login/Join to Participate

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i have a bit of an insane and highly unprobable idea for a poi move involving one or no handed carwheels.

unfortunatly i am completely incapable of doing said cartwheels (although i can do a regular one) and would much appreciate any help anyone can give me with starting to learn them.

thanks guys!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Afraid to offer any advice of such craziness.... wink

Try this though....

Find a post by bender.

find the address of his website, in his profile. (can't remember it)

Go there and have a look under advanced movement.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
When I was a little girl, I inadvertently tought myself how to do a one-handed cartwheel. ONly problem is that I did it backwards from the way the cool girls in gymnastics class learned. Here's how it happened. I was playing softball - out in right field during infield practice. Boredom struck, and I wondered whether I could do a cartwheel while wearing a softball mitt. (on the left hand) Unfortunately, I couldn't count on the mitted hand helping me, so gradually, my right hand did all the work and my left hand stayed in the air. So, theoretically, you could start by holding something in your left hand, and gradually letting your left hand hit the ground less.

Sorry, can't help you with a no-handed cartwheel, and I'm much too old and creaky to even try. Let me know if you pull it off, though.

smile

rbm

Weaselthe one and only, just like chesney
295 posts

Posted:
the no haded cartwheel is very tricky
you have to step into it a few times to gain momentum then as you go into it arch your back and lower your upper body as close to the ground as possible, while doing this you really have to throw you legs up and round so that the force twists your body right round to face the otherway and falling onto your leading foot. the trickiest part is actually having the confidence to completely throw urself into it, if you can trust that you can do it then you will, otherwise your body will react against you as you go into the move.
i understand i might of explaind this quite badly bender probley would be the best person to ask.
smilegood luck smile

birds might be able to fly,
but weasels dont get caught in jet engine's

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
i just put one hand behind my back and go into it like a normal cartwheel. its scary at first, but you get it after a lil while.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I've been doing these at gymnastics for a while, so here goes:

Two type of one handed cartwheel - the near hand and the far hand variety. The difference being which hand goes on teh ground.

The near hand is the hand closest to your leading foot. This is the easier of the two, cos you don't have to rotate over your head before you put your hand down. But this doesn't lead into learning a no-handed cartwheel (aerial) like the far hand one does. (with putting the far hand down, you've already done the hard work, so you can just start to use that hand less and less...)

You usually need a bit of momentum to do a nice lookin' one handed cartwheel. (a couple of steps before doing the cartwheel should do) It can help to pull the hand not on the ground in interesting directions to get your body round. (Experiment!) It might help to have a small height to put your hands on to make it easier. Also with a normal cartwheel I find you don't pull the legs back down to the ground very much, but in a one handed cartwheel, you really have to pull them back to the earth. It feels a lot more still upper-body-wise than a normal cartwheel.

For a no handed cartwheel, throwing of the arms around is very important, as is looking forward, not at the ground.

hope that helps!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
cool - thank guys!

prepare yourselves for a nice long post on the stupid injuries thread....

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
i just thought, you know some people do cartweels with staffs (its just like a normal cartweel but instead of using you'r hands you use a staff), well perfect if you do staff.
can sort of not do it, but i can do a sort of cartweel over a bar.

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

QuadDamagemember
130 posts

Posted:
Dudes, if you want an aerial cartwheel tutorial, go to Tricks Tutorials and follow the links. These past few months I've been giving so much advice on aerials that I'm beginning to go off them... Just remember to warm up first, use your arms, and twist your waist to land properly.

But I really want to know if anybody can do them while twirling poi. And if so, what are they doing with their arms, (eg. behind the back / horizontal / one in front) ?

ImmortalNinjamember
104 posts

Posted:
I think the trick is to keep practicing and not being afraid of getting hurt.
Probably not the most efficient way of learning but thats how I do most things. Just keep doing it figuring out what works and doesnt work for you.

The one piece of advice I'd give is practice the cartwheel alot before you move onto doing it with poi in your hands. Really you need to train your body to do the cartwheel without thinking.
I took me a couple of days to get the one handed cartwheel and as soon as I nailed it I tried it with poi. That was a big mistake as I still had to think about how to do the cartwheel and when I tried to think what to do with the hands and poi as well...well I forgot which hand to put down and which to spin the poi and I ended up vertically upside down before gravity kicked in and pile drived me into the ground.

So my second piece of advice would be: accept that you will not get it right the first time and there is a chance that you would get hurt and go at it full steam. I found i hurt myself more when I didnt put enough power into the take off because I was holding back in fear.

And most of all have fun

If you're getting hit, move faster...

Check page 30 for Directions

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
https://homepages.ihug.com.au/~rsywp/lesson-ac01.htm#sideflips

sideways aerial with doubles how-to

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

animated gif of it..
EDITED_BY: bender™ (1120801291)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

6,978 posts

Posted:
i disagree about the requirement mentioned above about stepping into it several times.
with enough power, it can be performed static, with less/more graceful arm movements.

ImmortalNinjamember
104 posts

Posted:
I think it depend on the person and what you are trying to achieve.
The main thing I found is you need to whip your legs to get enough momentum to swing them around to they complete the circle. For this a big push on the take off is needed, which is why indeed it can be done static. And I agree about the gracefulness of the arms when doing this.
However if you are just learning, or need height/lenght on the cartwheel then a run-up is really helpful for giving the extra forward momentum and probably give you a bigger push on the take off naturally.
When I do a static one the poi spinning in my free hands always hits the ground frown
If your having trouble I say do it in steps, do it with a run up so you can get teh feel of what if feels like to complete a cartwheel. Then you'll find it easier to understand what is needed to complete a static one. Then you try a static one with something in your hands!!
Good luck and get at it
KK

If you're getting hit, move faster...

Check page 30 for Directions

BumfroIts a bum with an afro...
223 posts

Posted:
i can do a one handed cartwheel smile

im cool.

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

Harlequin252newbie
4 posts

Posted:
dont try it too fast
in circus camp, I did a roundoff, very siimilar to cartwheels
because i am "acrobatically challenged" i was putting in xtra practice time for basic acro. while rounding off, I twisted my wrist too far. I heard a small pop in my forearm, and I was pretty much out for a week
it sucked- be careful

Were there no circus, I would have no will to live

6,978 posts

Posted:
the fierce force required to lift-off and sault during an ariel (fowards-backwards motion) or a no-handed cartwheel (sideways motion) is enough to break a bone if you don't learn to land softly.

it is very important to note the the no-handed cartwheel and the areil are two different moves, as you need 'explosive' muscle strength in different muscle groups to learn either.

heh heh i said 'explosive' without mentioning 'curry night' wink