Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So today I went and got HIV testing and it made me think of how many young people who are at risk (even low risk) don't know their HIV status.

I want to encourage everyone here to get tested. Education and knowledge of status are our most powerful weapon to date in slowing and, perhaps even stopping, the spread of HIV/AIDS.

If you live in the US, go to www.hivtest.org to find out about free, anonymous HIV testing near you. The services are ANONYMOUS, which means that they are done by first name only and there is no possible way that your results (or even the fact that you ever had a test) could ever be linked to your medical, employment, or insurance records.

If you're squeamish about needles, a new test called "Orasure" is available at many testing centers. It involves a swab taken of from the inside of the mouth that looks for so-called IgA antibodies against HIV. No needles. Some centers may charge a small fee for this service (US$10 or less, in most cases).

For those in other countries, contact your doctor's office and ask them for information, or do a web search.

Please go get tested. It only takes a few minutes, and it makes a world of difference in the fight against HIV/AIDS.

weavesmiley

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i've never seen "kids" but i've heard alot about it, i'm not sure if it's my thing but after watching bumfights 1 &2 and the exicution video i doubt it will shock me, it may open ,my eyes to new things though

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
Gah.. it seems that everyone in my life is telling me to go get tested..

*makes appointment*

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*Bump*

I know MY status! biggrin

I figure if I bump this every time I get tested, a bunch of other people will get tested, too. Can't hurt. shrug

I had a depressing thought. At a large gay rave, like the White Party, someone will contract HIV at or after the party. That night, some healthy, strong young man will go out to have a good time and become a lifelong patient with a chronic disease that can be devastating.

I just find that so censored sad. frown

Take care of yourselves, everyone. Be safe!

-Mike

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Well ain't that a downer of a thought? Damn.

Still neg and very happy about it! biggrin

Great plan Doc!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
I know MY status!!

smile

I was sitting in on a sexual health clinic, and this poor 20ish yr old guy was coming to terms with his +ve diagnosis. He'd known for 6 months... and his partner came to the clinic with him.

And he hadn't had sex since the diagnosis...

And at first I thought "well, that's good of him.. I guess it shows he really cares" until the doctor told me about a couple, one +ve, one -ve, who have been together for 20 years using condoms and the -ve has stayed safe.

I don't know how the boy is going now... I think it's sad that there's the huge stigma and now, even though his partner is willing, he is too scared.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
20 years living with HIV is damned amazing and shows alot of depth of relationship. clap Perhaps that couple had no condom failures or the -ve was "immune". Perhaps they were simply lucky.
Maybe the other +ve guy has had enough condom failures to not want to risk it. There has been a number of people who appear to be immune to HIV even after repeated exposures. Prostitues in Gambia and Thailand with regular (weekly) unprotected exposure have not developed HIV over up to 5 years in the study done.

One thing about HOP is it often makes me go off and read stuff and keep learning.
From the epidemic's start, black people have been disproportionately likely to test positive for HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. African American men, women and children now account for 51 percent of new HIV diagnoses -- up from 25 percent in 1985 -- and 55 percent of people dying nationally of AIDS, although they make up 13 percent of the U.S. population. HIV is the leading killer of African Americans ages 25 to 44 from 1990 through 2000 rest of the article

It seems the Gay scene reacted very quickly and get testing and treatment and the incidence of infection has reduced dramatically. This hasnt happened in all communities. To raise again the same issue I have raised before HIV is becoming a problem in our idigenous people with similar issue to Afro Americans. For a struggling culture with huge problems with health aready HIv is a nightmare.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gnor

Prostitues in Gambia and Thailand with regular (weekly) unprotected exposure have not developed HIV over up to 5 years in the study done.

Yeah, I saw a video with this in it.. and how they were testing their blood for cures, or genetic links etc.

Very interesting!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

It seems the Gay scene reacted very quickly and get testing and treatment and the incidence of infection has reduced dramatically. This hasnt happened in all communities. To raise again the same issue I have raised before HIV is becoming a problem in our idigenous people with similar issue to Afro Americans. For a struggling culture with huge problems with health aready HIv is a nightmare.

The gay scene USED to have a very quick and thorough reaction. However, the advent of Highly Active Anti-Retroviral Therapy (HAART) has given people the idea that HIV is simply a chronic disease, like diabetes, and so you don't really have to worry about it.

The reality is that HIV is constantly evolving to get around our various HAART drugs. Many current strains of HIV are resistant to all but the newest classes of anti-retrovirals. Missing just a couple of doses can cause resistance to evolve.

So that's the current challenge facing the Gay community.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: natasqi

Prostitues in Gambia and Thailand with regular (weekly) unprotected exposure have not developed HIV over up to 5 years in the study done.

Yeah, I saw a video with this in it.. and how they were testing their blood for cures, or genetic links etc.

Very interesting!!

There are a whole group of people who are "Immune" (not in the classic sense) to HIV through a few mechanisms.

Some people are lacking a molecule found on the cell surface that HIV attaches to. HIV can't infect those people.

Other people are called "Long-Term Non-Progressors." These people do have a virus that you can isolate and sequence its genome. However, their viral loads are undetectable and their CD4+ counts (the count of the class of white blood cell that HIV destroys) remain normal. Long-term non-progressors are a small minority (a few percent) of HIV+ patients.

HIV has only been really known for about 30 years now, so we do know that some long-term non-progressors can survive while HIV+ at least 25-30 years without ever developing AIDS. We don't know for sure how to identify a long-term non-progressor without just watching them for a few decades, and we don't know how long "long-term" really is. These patients are also objects of intense scrutiny by the biomedical field because we'd love to find out what it is about them that prevents the disease from progressing.

-Mike

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
There is a certain set of HIV +ve men here that once their viral coubts are low, believe unprotected sex is ok. Heres hoping that their "recipients" are at least protecting them selves.
Hows the new language of " donors" and "recipients". Makes it sound like the newly +ve people should saying thankyou.
Have read some HIV +ve people can carry many many strains of HIV on board as the virus mutates. So lovely for the receiver that gets such a diverse range of viruses to try deal with.

HIV is so low profile here its no wonder people forget about it. I think the last place other than HOP that I seen anything was the toilet door at an airport.

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
I know my status. : )

I give blood regularly and here you get a full blood test when ever you do. Of course this is often not an option for those in some of the high risk categories because you cannot give blood. But if you can give you get to do too great things at once.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I had my status with my last child but you just reminded me that I gave blood last year.

Is it the Truth?

Amanda13BRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
I know mine. I also get mine rechecked (on all STDs) every 6 months on average. More if I'm having a more swap of sexual partners, less if I'm in a relationship.

I really need to get my hands on female condoms... then I could go to annual testings. I've really have had a lot of luck so far (I'm allergic to latex and it's near impossible to find polyeurathane or female condoms in my city).

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
There's always online ordering, although you'd need a credit/debit card. Some places may support paypal though for those with just a bank account.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Amanda13BRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
I just want to go to my local PP and see if they got [censored].

I hate online outside of poi and clothes.

xjereBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Also, get vaccinated for Hep A/B!

Three shots wont kill you.

Who wants to see a monkey on fire?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Amanda13

I really need to get my hands on female condoms... then I could go to annual testings. I've really have had a lot of luck so far (I'm allergic to latex and it's near impossible to find polyeurathane or female condoms in my city).

You can always order online.

However, I'm curious as to the evidence you have to support the idea that using a female condom makes you less prone to STD's than a male condom. confused

-Mike

Amanda13BRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
I'll get the link up but what it's saying is since the female condom covers the labia it not only protects the inside from STD (and the shaft of the penis) it also provides labia protection (and in that sense can provide scrotal sack protection as well). While it may not be as protective as a LATEX condom (since poly has a higher chance of breakage) it is more protective then a poly male condom.

Read the little chart that compares the male and female

https://www.ripnroll.com/reality2.htm

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So, to clarify, the theory is that the female condom is somehow safer than the male condom because it covers more.

However, this has not been demonstrated in rigorous scientific analyses. So I wouldn't change my testing frequency based on that information.

-Mike

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I haven't been tested for a few years but I was OK and have been VERY careful since

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Mynci, if by "careful" you mean "100% abstinent" or "confidantly in a long-term monogamous relationship" then you're fine.

If by "careful" you mean "I used condoms 100% of the time" then go get tested. It can't hurt you, can it?

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
BTW, just to go over the commonly available STD screening tests and how they're done:

HIV: Blood test or oral swab. Results in 20 minutes to 2 weeks.

Syphilis: Blood draw. Results typically take a few days.

Gonorrhea/Chlamydia: Men: Urethral swab (yeah, they jam a swab in your hoo-haa. It sucks.) or urine sample (far better than "the spear"!). Women: cervical swab (usually done at the same time as a pap smear).

Herpes: Direct culture from active lesions (essentially painless) and there is a blood antibody test, but a negative result does not guarantee that you do not carry herpes.

HPV: Women: Pap smears Men: In men who engage in receptive anal intercourse, anal pap.
EDITED_BY: Doc Lightning (1195198374)

-Mike

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Doc....

hug

.... I suppose I don't have anything witty, funny, or even very coherent to say at the moment.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
No, but you can go get tested, Kath! biggrin

-Mike

Amanda13BRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
Just waiting on calls. Will probably know chlymidia and gonarreha same time as pap results. Others whenever they're done.

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

No, but you can go get tested, Kath! biggrin

I'm sorry. I had just found out a few hours before reading this thread that a good friend of mine, Phil, had passed away the night before. He was HIV positive, and it's still thought that he had an infection that he just couldn't fight. I hadn't been that emotional when I got called about it and had been fairly successful at being the "stoic-caring-and-supportive-friend" for everyone else thing up until I started reading this thread. It kind of hit me all at once in a really sad, beautiful way, if you can understand that.

hug

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

Amanda13BRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
status=clean

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:

From the epidemic's start, black people have been disproportionately likely to test positive for HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. African American men, women and children now account for 51 percent of new HIV diagnoses -- up from 25 percent in 1985 -- and 55 percent of people dying nationally of AIDS, although they make up 13 percent of the U.S. population. HIV is the leading killer of African Americans ages 25 to 44 from 1990 through 2000 rest of the article

To raise again the same issue I have raised before HIV is becoming a problem in our idigenous people with similar issue to Afro Americans. For a struggling culture with huge problems with health aready HIv is a nightmare.

To randomly draw on this old point, more about the AIDS crisis in Africa...

When I was over in South Africa this summer, I learnt that there is a lot of suspision about Aids within the black (poor) population. Its really upsetting to know that people believe this is true.

Basically, it's a very common belief within the communities that AIDS is an American, man-made creation, aimed at controlling the black population. Some even believe that condoms are laced with the virus, and subsequently refuse to use them. There is a lot of mistrust. I still find it really sad that some think this is the case.

On a lighter (more worrying note!). A south African newspaper had an AIDS campaign, and distributed condoms with all its papers on one particular day. The only catch was, that they had decided to staple the health advice directly to the condom packets! The thing is, they must have had a lot of people working stapling the things together, and not one of them thought that it might not be the best of ideas. I believe it was a bit of a national embarrasment for the paper ubblol

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*bump!*

I know MY status! biggrin

Do you?

-Mike

natasqiaddict