Forums > Help! > PLEASE HELP ME. Tattoo question

Login/Join to Participate

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
arrrggggghhhhhh ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco
I have had two tattoos before and I just recently got one added to on the top of my foot... It is driving me completely bananas...
I have NEVER has a tattoo itch so much in my LIFE. Im using bepanthen and cleaning it twice a day as I should...The tattoist suggested for four nights I that i wrap it in gladwrap to stop it from cracking and scabbing up really hard, cause the foot is really easy to crack and break the tat and ruin it forever....
sooooo what I need to know is WHY IS IT SO ITCHY? is it beacsue its healing? is it becasue of the stoopid glad wrap?
It didnt itch like this last time.... can you become illergic to ink when you havent been previously? guys, when I say itch I mean itch to the point that I am almost in tears cause Im so DAMN itchy...... *sob*

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Oh dear Darl..my foot is itching in sympathy now....
hug hug hug hug hug hug

Get Arsn to worship your body endlessly for a week as a distraction.... hug hug kiss kiss kiss

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

bobcatmember
25 posts

Posted:
It might just be because of where it is, some parts of the body are more sensitive to others, when it comes it comes to tattoos.
If you are really worried about why it is so itchy just ask your tattooist, if he is a decent guy then he will have no problem answering your questions.
I have had many tattoos and none have got really itchy, you can expect a bit of itchyness while it is healing up.
I hope this helps you in some way, if you want more info just log on to one of the tattoo forums and iam sure you will get a good answer there.
but the best bet is to ask your tattooist.
biggrin

"the monkey stole my poi"

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
What colors were used?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
blues and greens and aquas.... frown

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
It's very pretty! smile
.....you poor chicken....have you tried pawpaw balm? Mine only got a little itchy... but I found the pawpaw balm soothing

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
hmm, usually it's the reds or yellows that cause the worst allergic reaction among some ppl, if I remember correctly. Aqua or green would contain some yellow, no?? Symptoms sound like some sort of allergic reaction tho, howz the itchiness now? Any raised bumpies?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
try a betadine or a&d ointment. some of them have a non-itching agent in it. otherwise, just use some non-perfumed lotion (i recommend baby lotion, or maybe aveeno). stop using the gladwrap and see if that makes a difference. the tat needs air to start healing. and don't wear socks or shoes as much as possible to keep it from getting irritated.

smile

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
My guess is that it is placement on the body (unless accompanied by redness and swelling). For some reason feet itch like no tomorrow. My lower back did as well but my hips did not at all. I wanted to rub on a tree like a bear. I did slather (I mean bathe) that sucker in non-perfumed, non-colored lotion and it helped tremendously. But it was a constant process. The minute it dried out at all it itched again. It is part of the healing process. My suggestion, carry a big thing of lotion with you and just keep it going.

I also agree with the not covering it statement. That can act as a rubbing irritant and can make it worse.

Anti-itch lotions/ointments are not recommended by any tattist I know. There is a chemical in them that will draw the ink out, or effecting the end result of the tattoo.

So...now we have the colors...what did you get?????

Hope the itchies go away soon so that you can start to really enjoy your new artwork!
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by musashii

usually it's the reds or yellows that cause the worst allergic reaction

Wow, I must have been one of the lucky ones, my tattoo is only black (For the outline and the kenji sign for fire) and red and yellow for the flame around it... I think there's also some orange, hang on... yes, there seems to also be a bit of orange... of and to jump back to the topic, her foot is still itchy... rolleyes

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by musashii
usually it's the reds or yellows that cause the worst allergic reaction

Wow, I must have been one of the lucky ones, my tattoo is only black (For the outline and the kenji sign for fire) and red and yellow for the flame around it... I think there's also some orange, hang on... yes, there seems to also be a bit of orange... of and to jump back to the topic, her foot is still itchy... rolleyes

It's actually pretty rare for someone to be allergic to the inks. I ave reds, oranges and yellows in mine as well (those are the only colors other than black right now) and I had no problems either. However, I scar so easily that my back piece feels like tattoo for the blind from raising. I kind of like it because I can reach back and feel it. Some strange way it is comforting.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
well.... lets see.. its almost a week now and the tat still hasnt scabbed... but thats an awesome thing the tatooist said... he also said that by using the glad wrap it has minimised the damaged and the trauma so the colours will be heaps brighter and not so patchey... I have stopped using the gladwrap and I am still using the bepathen on it and dripping my foot in the stuff!!! ubbtickled
there are a few bumps right near the crease of my foot and thats cause they are so near the crease... ummm Its still as itchey as ever and im still going mental!!!
but thanks for your input I think stopping using the gladwrap has helped heaps ubbrollsmile

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
hug hope it stops itching soon.

When Justine had her ankle tatt done she said it itched like hell... she just used non-perfumed lotion.

ubblove

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Quote:

... but thats an awesome thing the tatooist said... he also said that by using the glad wrap it has minimised the damaged and the trauma so the colours will be heaps brighter and not so patchey...

every tat i have gone with teh ladys and teh guys to get the tattooist has said come back in a few and get it touched up?

has he not offered you that? nickes egal in his arm need alil touch up, (he got it done in germany, and is now stationed again in teh uk, but i think he got ti dotted again when he was out there) but yeah, every one i have been with has had a touch up to make it look really hot?

hope your foot gets better lady, i would offer you some advice, but not having any tats my slef, it may seem a lil weird, i get all mine for teh ladies

Step (el-nombrie)

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
This is kind of why a lot of places have "rules" of no inking beyond the wrists and ankles. Allergies aren't really that common, although they are when you start getting into oddball inks, like white, glow in the dark, blacklight, etc.

Best advice I could give you probably would just to be stop thinking about it, the more you focus on how much your foot is itching the more its going to itch. Of course the fastest way to get you to think of something is by telling you not to... So don't listen to anything I just said..

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Active manuka honey, aka tea tree honey or oil. Magic stuff, natural anti biotics, and aloe vera works good 2.

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
I haven't tried the tatoo thing yet but I do know that itching sensations are closely related to pain sensations neurologically. So you might try something like advil. Ibuprophen also acts as an anti-inflammatory at high doses. Not that you should take a lot but it sounds like it would help to chill out any inflammation.

Speaking of chill - what about ice?

Feel better!!! hug

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
hope its a bit better now valura, new tats can be very itchy

I've heard recently that a few people keep the gladwrap on for the first few nights, not just the first 4 hours, and will be trying the same experiment when I get some more work done on my sleeve in a few week

good work on the no scab, here's a gold star for you -----> *

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
oh you guys rock!!!
it has finally stopped itchin... yaay yay yay yay
I dont feel like Im going mental anymore...
ade you have a sleeve? how pretty!!! have any spesh piccys? ubbtickled

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
no special pics valura, only ones of work in progress... pm me with your email and I'll send you one of those...

Veemember
6 posts

Posted:
Olive Oil. Works like magic. (if it's not brand new)

And you see a girl’s brown body dancing through the turquoise,
And her footprints make you follow where the sky loves the sea.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Nice to see this thread again smile

I used the extended glad wrap method recently whilst getting the lower section of my sleeve completed:

gladwrap for first four hours, then wash

re wrap in glad wrap overnight

leave glad wrap off during the day

wrap for four nights

I think it sped up the healing process, and helped me sleep - which helps in the healing process (especially if you are being tattooed on a regular basis for a few hours at a time...) ubbrollsmile

DFZBRONZE Member
Christian Death Metal Anyone?
313 posts

Posted:
i've been told Especially when getting your back tattooed that you should mousturize your back for a couple weeks before to prevent you skin from cracking? Is this a good idea? Should it be used before most tattooes??

Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?
-- Steven Wright

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
i can help you i work at a tattoo shop it itches because your boddy is trying to reject it dont itch it and dont put any anti itch cream on it if you do it will swell and crack wich will destort the tattoo so any ?? give me a line
SLEEP WITH ANGLES MUCKIEHA

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I know a guy... well actually I know of a guy who has a few tattoos, and he is an artist, so he usually designs his own.
I will write out the bit of his book where he talks about the dragon.
(it's only sections of it though)

I got my first tattoo back in 1999. It’s on my left calf, a dragon that I saw in one of Cary’s books. He changed it up a little bit for me, making the face and the claws a little more dramatic. My plain was to eventually get it coloured, but I’ve decided not to.
I got the Tiger done in 2000. After that I added some fire and a wave- all very elemental and powerful. The tigers almost hidden on the inside of my arm, with the claws coming around the outside. It all flows with my muscles and I think the effect is bad as hell.
That one took an extra long time to heal because the next night I decided to spray paint my studio. I wore a bandage all day, but then I took it off and the fumes from the spray paint got into my skin and it got all infected. It actually caused the colours to fade, which looks pretty cool.
So the lesson of this story... don't spray paint with a new tattoo.... is there any other things that shouldnt be done around new tattoo's?

I am also thinking of getting some Henna done when I am older... anyone got any pro's or con's about Henna?