Forums > Social Chat > Cheapest Way to Travel....

Login/Join to Participate

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Hmm so tonight's concillation (sp) prize for troubles in life and love is i'm trying to put together a little trip for myself... i can do plane tickets, i can even do places to stay if i try long enough and hard enough. but what other thing should i be planning for, as this is an international trip and all. And how do i reduce all these expenses (say to under $2000, or even under $1500?)------------------*love like you have never been hurt, dance like no one is watching*

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Try hotwire-- https://www.hotwire.com/Also
get a Sunday edition of the New York Times. Lots of travel deals listed in there. You can get to Europe for well under $1000 if you are flying from NYC.[This message has been edited by adamrice (edited 30 March 2002).]

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Depends on what you have planned. If you are going to more developed centres, availability of goods should mean you can get anything you desparately need. Look into the clothing thing. Pack lightly, but don't get caught wearing shorts in London in snow. & check with locals you know in each location. For example, Sydney can actually be quite cold in autumn/winter. Invest in a good backpack, that will be comfortable no matter what you do. Make sure your passport is no where near expiring. Make sure you have applied for Visas if you need them (& check that out). & invest in a good money belt. Now that I have scared you by sounding like your mum - make sure you have a great time, involving drink, food & attractive members of the gender you find most appealing winkR.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
Hahaha, London with snow ;DSeriously though it hasn't snowed in England for about 5 years, raining is a completely different matter though...

I hope you realize how pissed I am.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Er you should try going out occasionally Tlight mate. There's been some real serious snow in the last few years. Dead folks and everything.

Meh

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
money to travel, within the country. how will you get around? hirecar, coach, train?and be aware that (depending on where youre from/going) not only might there be a different exchange rate, but things might cost more anyway. (when i was staying in london the exchange rate was $3Aus to a pound. Lunch could be four pound, easily. at home it would be $4Aus. see the difference?)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Simple answer to Clare's response would be don't go to london. Go to Wales find a nice welsh boy grin wink tongueGo to North Wales and you're not to far from me. And we can go out and play.

Meh

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
"Outside"? Whats "outside"?Seriously though the only time ive ever seen snow (and I live in London) was when I was about 3. This is also due to bad luck. EDITLook whos talking, the boy with 1940 posts!!! wink[This message has been edited by Tlight (edited 31 March 2002).]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I meant outside as in out of the city. And I travel 130 miles every weekend to go clubbing. So it's not like I never go no where....And watch who you're calling boy, kid wink tongue grin

Meh

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
Ahhh but are you the wiser? :]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Oh cantus, do you know any nice Welsh boys I could meet? (or you could meet some before i come over there.) grin Of course I'll come and play with you. And any other twirlers I run into, I like to play with others. Seriously tho, thanks for the advice Clare and Rozi! And you just reminded me, my passport got lost *gulp* so I think I need to go get anotehr one ASAP!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Do they have to be Welsh? I know several really nice English lads. Spiral for instance.....

Meh

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I prefer them to be 6' or under, no offense to spiral and the other tall lads out there! i pose english might be acceptable, as long as they think living in wales is an option smile :Pand as long as they are willing to put up with me ignorant americanism!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm 5'10... currently taken though.Kato is a wee stumpy little fella. Got a good body on him too. Nice lad. Year older than me.Does that fit your standards better steph?

Meh

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
sounds good so far:-P where is this kato lad of whom you speak?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Go to www.priceline.com and put in a really low bid of like $150 bucks. They only charge it if they get it for you. If it gets kicked back, go up $25 at a time. Check hotwire first to see the best rate they can get you. Don't go past that (obviously). If they keep kicking it back, stop about $50 or so from the hotwire price, and keep bidding at that price. Usually, they cave in, especially if you aren't trying for a flight at peak times of the year or day. Being flexible helps a lot. But make sure you have your dates set, because once they get you the ticket, there is no backing out. I flew myself and my girl to Cancun in September for $420 (nice, huh?) round trip for both of us. (And we were actually there when those bastards collapsed the WTC. Surreal to say the least.)If you are flexible with the times you can arrive and depart, you can also fly standby for dirt cheap! You just might have to wait awhile at the airport.And if you *really* want to buck the system, get the cheapest rate you can from a major airport during a busy time of the year (Like Labor Day weekend or spring break) for a hot destination, and then let yourself get bumped. It is the regular policy of most all airlines to overbook flights, because a lot of the times, people won't show up. If you give up your seat, they give you a free ticket and first priority on almost any other flight of your choice within a designated time period. Their way of saying "Thanks for helping us out of a bind!" Underhanded? Slightly. Does it work? You're damn straight! ------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You can see Kato if you click here. Lots of footage of him showing off....er I mean spinning poi.....Oo, I forgot. Amongst his many talents; he can slow time.

Meh

Traceredmember
71 posts

Posted:
Hostels. Get yourself an international hostel membership if you qualify age-wise and you can sleep in just about any major city in Europe for hell-a cheap. You can find 'em in lots of non-European coutries too.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind - Mahatma Gandhi

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
forgive my american ignorance, but what exactly is a hostel?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
If you put a stamp on your forhead for 34 cents, do you get to go by snail mail?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
heh, that'd be cool. not likely tho:Pi could sign up to be a mail-order bride....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah