Forums > Social Chat > Am I the only one? (Religious people beware!)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
EDIT = Been getting some complaints bout this so again, I warn all people who are very religious that the following thread may offend you. Please be prepared. I have also edited some text from this first post so that it may be a *little* less offensive to some.

Am I the only one who thinks all religion is junk? Every where I go there are people talking about their beliefs. Not only that, but they use their beliefs to try and govern other people’s lives. Why? Why is it so important to have meaning in life? Why do people need to believe that when they die, they’ll go to heaven? Isn’t life good enough without some crazy ass story about where they came from and where they’re going? Why can’t everyone just live with the fact that we’re just here and enjoy it while it lasts?

The reason I ask these questions is because it seems that more bad comes from religion than good. Take a look around. Notice how many people have died due to their beliefs. Look at all the wars that have come, gone, and are still going on in the name of god. Look at how much our lives are restricted by things that are “not moral.†Even our technology is suffering. Why can’t I clone myself if I wanted to? Why can’t we use stem cells to help people? Why can’t a rape victim get an abortion? And why can’t an 80 year old man dying from some awful disease put himself out of his misery?

There is so much physical evidence that disproves religion, yet, people hang on and whole heartedly believe these fantastical stories about god(s) and the afterlife. It really gets to me because regardless of the fact that I don’t believe in it, I’m forced to live my life as if I do.

EDITED_BY: ICoN (1075491940)

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
god cant make a rock so heavy that he cant move it either ....... well not while maintaining that whole all powerful creator image anyway
EDITED_BY: ben-ja-men (1075571821)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
who worships a paper representation of gold ?

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Quote:

who worships a paper representation of gold ?

mmmm ive met quite a few ppl that worship money

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
If God does not wish to be able to lift the rock, then he can't. God can not be anything but perfect.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

2,905 posts

Posted:
Quote:

mmmm ive met quite a few ppl that worship money

Agrees with Ben

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
It's supposedly the love of money that is the root of evil.
not money itself :P

Azrellemember
34 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Well... you can try to reach as many people as you can, but you can't reach them all... they will suffer the same fate as those who choose not to follow. Whoever told you that life was fair... lied.

Actually, Torah, Bible and Quran all state that those who have never heard the word of God are innocent of denying His existence. It is those who have heard and consciously chosen not to believe whose fate is hell.

Quote:

If I may ask, why do you feel uncomfertable "preaching" about what you believe in.

Because put quite simply my religion aint exactly all too popular at the moment and if i talk about it too loudly i get called a "fundamentalist" and "terrorist" and people make all kinds of irrational assumptions about what i am when they figure out i'm Muslim.

I'm also not exactly the best fountain of knowledge religiously speaking and if i speak too widely i may get asked questions that i'm not in a position to answer and make the image of my chosen path seem crazy ^_^

And also.... if i go on a night out that last thing i want to get into is theological debates. If someone wants some info i'll do my best to give it. To me that aint preaching. It's when you choose to climb the high horse and lecture uninvited it becomes preaching

2,905 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Actually, Torah, Bible and Quran all state that those who have never heard the word of God are innocent of denying His existence. It is those who have heard and consciously chosen not to believe whose fate is hell.

Umm if you can find that verse in the Bible, please show it to me.

Azrelle, I am really sorry that people are so blind as to be mean to you based on your religion. That is really jacked up.

Quote:

And also.... if i go on a night out that last thing i want to get into is theological debates. If someone wants some info i'll do my best to give it. To me that aint preaching. It's when you choose to climb the high horse and lecture uninvited it becomes preaching

I understand and agree with you there.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

If I share my faith/religion does that make me a bully?

No, Ray. However, if a religion tries to pass laws that make me abide by rules that are inconsistent with my own religion, tries to make my kids pray prayers that are inconsistent with my religion and tries to decide what may be taught in science classes because it might be inconsistent with the religion's teachings, then what does that make such a religion?

The religion of which I speak is American Protestant Christianity.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Quote:

If I share my faith/religion does that make me a bully? No, it means that I am living out my religion. Is that so wrong?

Actually, yes, I do believe it makes you a bully. I've made my decision to live my life how I want to live it, and you're interfering with my lifestyle. Maybe you should spend your time saving the completely innocent people who have been unfairly banished to Hell by your idol, rather than waste your time preaching to me on public transportation? I don't mean to sound hostile, but I just think a better use of one's time is to save the 'ignorant' than to convert people like me.

Edit: Mental note, write sentences that make sense.
EDITED_BY: MillenniuM (1075608192)

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Quote:

It's supposedly the love of money that is the root of evil.
not money itself :P

money might be the root of all evil but girls are evil look ill prove it

girls require time and money ---->
girls=time x money

we know that time is money
time=money

girls =money x money = (money)^2

money = root of evil

therefore
girls =(root of evil)^2
girls=evil

wink

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Also we didn't have nuclear weapons before women were allowed to vote but we now have them after we allowed women to vote!

Azrellemember
34 posts

Posted:
If i can find the verse I will ray, but to be very honest my reference knowledge of the bible aint THAT good....lol. I've read it through a few times but not managed to remember exactly where things are ^_^ i mean hey... not my religion's main book wink

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Quote:

girls =(root of evil)^2

Haha, this means girls are the SQUARE ROOT of evil ubblol

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
ummm...warped logic,anyone???? biggrin

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Haha, this means girls are the SQUARE ROOT of evil ubblol

Erm, nope, the square root of evil squared is evil.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Also we didn't have nuclear weapons before women were allowed to vote but we now have them after we allowed women to vote!

ya, cause that logic actually works.

rolleyes

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Necrusmember
113 posts

Posted:
People get hungry,because food exists to fufill hunger.
People get thirsty,because water exists to quench thirst.
People get religious,because God exists to feed belief. . .

Metal Rulezzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

therefore
girls =(root of evil)^2
girls=evil

wink

Woah... eek That was good! ubblol

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Woah... That was good!

see if u like this one

x=1

times both sides by x
x^2=x

then take one from both sides
x^2-1=x-1

factorise
(x-1)(x+1)=(x-1)

cancel x-1 from both sides
x+1=1

now we originally had x=1
so
2=1

or does it ..... wink

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
it doesn't :P

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ah but the question is why ubbangel

ØarkÅngelmember
2 posts

Posted:
Because you're starting by asserting the premise the x=1, and everything else follows from there. Really you're saying "Let x=1 for the duration of this" which is why, when you mess the x's out of the equasion you get the logical impossibility of 1=2.
Put simply you're saying "We can get 1 to equal 2 so long as we agree that x=1 in the first place.
[/philosophy head]

ØÅ

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
the question is why, what step in the proof is fundamentally flawed?

wan hwo renmember
86 posts

Posted:

x-1 = 0 and you can't divide by 0

so when you had (x-1)(x+1)=(x-1) and canceled out (x-1)

it could be shown as (0)(1) / 0 = 0 / 0 which obviously doesn't make sense

beerchug

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
yeah i think its that stage that is flawed. when you divide both sides by (x-1).

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Nevermind hehe...
EDITED_BY: ICoN (1075750042)

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
that is the notation for 1 squared, not 1 times 2. 1 squared is indeed 1.

The problem lies here:

Quote:

then take one from both sides

x^2-1=x-1

To solve for x here, you should subtract x from both sides. This gives x^2 - x = 0. Now, you can factor, which gives x(x-1)=0. So, either x=0 or x=1.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Back to the subject at hand.

I'm not offended by someone telling me they belive all religon is crap, anymore than I am by someone telling me they don't like boysenberry icecream!

To listen to someone's views as their own views and not take it as a personal attack on youself is not only a good idea socially, but it even lessens the chance of later heart attacks. wink

What I do get offende dby is people who blame 'religon' as if it were a seperate entity, capable of rational thought and plotting and scheming...?

When someone comes in and gives oyu an earbashing about their religon (say christianity) most people's reactions are to think "Gee I hate Christians".

This is a natural and awful reaction. In my opinion, a better reaction would be "Gee, I really didn't like that guys interpersonal skills, thank goodness most Christians i know are nothing like him"

It's not the religons fault that certain members of the faith act in certain ways, as the religon isn't a tangible entity. ITS THE CERTAIN MEMBER OF THE FAITH'S FAULT!

Don't blame the religon, blame the person...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Quote:

x=1; times both sides by x; x^2=x; then take one from both sides; x^2-1=x-1; factorise (x-1)(x+1)=(x-1); cancel x-1 from both sides; x+1=1; now we originally had x=1 so

2=1

ben ja men goes on to prove that black = white and gets killed at the next zebra crossing ubbtickled

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Page: