BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Heylo!

Firetoys.co.uk are holding a fire festival! The UKs first official fire fest aparently smile

Check their site for more details, looks like it should be great, itll have music, workshops, new props to try out etc.

Have fun,
Beth
peace

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
haven't we all paid money up front for a suposidly legal 'free party' before?

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
They have, however, already proposed a venue. Keep checking for updates, I think.
At least £15 is not £30.....

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I think it could be rather jolly - as long as it's worth £15...

If it's just a field they've "borrowed" off someone, but a couple of marquees up in and say "Right, off you go - spin my lovelies, anyone want to do a workshop" it'd be a bit poo.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Ohh and it's over my birthday.....yours too durbs????? (might be wrong on that though smile

Ya Bammy one
ubbrollsmile

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
I sent them a mail yesterday and got a reply there wanting lots of DJ's n stuff it might be ok but if its like what Durbs says it will be a bit poo,

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
its also limited to 200 people by reserving a ticket too!

we had over 300 for the first clapham poiinthepark.

i have still yet to get a reply back that i sent several days ago.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
You lot are so cynical!

Firetoys are not the kind of people who would con us out of our money, they love fire as much as we do.

Its not pretending to be a free party, theres a venue sorted and you have to buy a ticket, whats wrong with that?

Everyones gotta start somewhere and this could possibly be huge in a few years.

peace
EDITED_BY: Beth (1074184431)

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
A week after Bams - I'm on the 16th (23 this year eek ubbcrying)

Nothing wrong with a bit of cyncism - but as PK mentioned, other than music (which you don't really want if you're trying to run/attend workshops) - PiP in Clapham got more people and was free.

Might it not be better to start off a bit smaller, make it free - gauge interest and maybe charge next year? There's lots of places to spin for free...

Having said that, I'll probably go smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
i will be going in me trusty ferrari!!!

passing through, this world still lives.

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
haha not likely to con you out of money? This may be a one off but my Practice poi, bought from fire toys broke within 2 weeks of having them. The strings frayed and separated

Info about the Day

But it sounds fun

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Gottaloveit, i know about 20 people who have ordered from them and not had any problems at all, including me, i guess you're just unlucky frown

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Heylo!

Firetoys.co.uk are holding a fire festival! The UKs first official fire fest aparently smile

shall we then assume the beltane fire festival hasn't been going on since the late 80's? wink

honestly tho this looks to me like its a bit expensive for what it is when PIP is free and gets bigge turnouts than they are hoping for.....

still it will be great fun i guess cause thats what these things are beerchug

smileR

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them and been very happy (or I wouldn't have ordered more stuff) and I've met them in person too. They're decent folks just trying to do something. Maybe they've not gone about it the right way but they're trying. Instead of criticising, maybe talk to them about it? Offer proposals? Offer to help?

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
the reason that i'm cautious about it and not running around dancing and bouncing off walls about how fluffy everything will be if we just all project our positive energy towards fire, is the reason why the liquid connective party last summer didn't go ahead. Although on a grander scale, they too tried to avoid the extremely costly process of getting a license (which firetoys will NOT be able to get at 15 quid a ticket * 200), by making it a private event. But the police it seems don't give a toss whether it's private or not these days, they have issues with any gathering of people with soundsystems. It's only 15 quid, i'll be paying and i don't care if it doesn't happen and i don't get my money back, cause it is only 15 quid for what could be a really good time, but being a realist i will remain sceptical at the same time.

general spinmember
52 posts

Posted:
Quote:

and not running around dancing and bouncing off walls about how fluffy everything will be if we just all project our positive energy towards fire

ubbtickled good show

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
It actually says "our first annual fire gathering" not "the first annual fire gathering"

I've bought some stuff from them too and they were really nice helpful people. Good prices too! smile I don't think you can challenge them just because one thing you bought from them broke....

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I didn't mean to challenge them and i'm not even bitter about broken poi!!!!
If it goes ahead I'll hopefully be heading down there, you can throw my broken poi in my face.
Please note that most of my posts take the mickey....
xxxx

general spinmember
52 posts

Posted:
Quote:

If it goes ahead I'll hopefully be heading down there, you can throw my broken poi in my face.

LOL

sounds like it will be a lively one anyway. ubbangel

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Has anyone else signed up and heard stuff back? Just wondering who was serious about it.... because unless I can persuade poi friends to attend i'll be on my lonesome... I think I saw a Beth on the addy list????

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
I'm on my lonesome too frown i think anyway, i've got an e-mail thsi morning saying there sending out passwords so you can log in a pay the £15 or whatever it is.

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Yay yay! Someone else! I think I've persuaded my one and only fire spinny friend who I know to come, but I'm not too sure about him, would love to meet you if we all end up going!!!

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Yeah yeah yeah *Dances and Bounces* I am definately going to this one and I get paid on the same weekend!!! Yeah yeah yeah!! *Dances some more and does a crap half cartwheel* Yeah yeah yeah I hope it will be warmer!!! (Bet it will rain)
The dates are a month before my exams and well out of the way of any other important events so this can now become an important event in it's own right on my calender! Yeah yeah yeah *Punches air "Two thumbs fresh"*

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
not sure about this one lads and ladys....

thinking smile

well i wanna go!

passing through, this world still lives.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Bumpity bump as it's getting closer...

Still not sure if I'm going - has it sold out yet does anyone know?
Also - by the sounds of it - live DJ's, chai tent, food stalls etc etc - won't it seem REALLY empty with only 200 people?!

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Teehee, no idea if it's sold out... did they actually set a date or is it still a choice of one of two weekends?

Velocity_Kendalmember
24 posts

Posted:
Having just posted a new topic, I've just found this thread...

The Fire Gathering is on 21st - 23rd May (not 23rd - 25th), and it's near Bury St. Edmunds. I've just got a ticket and there's still some left I think. I reckon £15 is a more than fair price to ask for getting a bunch of people together in a field for a weekend with indoor space aswell as outdoor, and a chai tent etc. Seeing as it's their first one I think it's worth supporting. It's what WE make of it anyway that counts.

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I'd totally love to go, will give my invite to other fire spinners I know... I have my leaving day one of those days and then exams not so long after. Stupidness, maybe next year if this one's a success! Have fun Kendal!

hug

Let us(or me) know how it goes!