Page:
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone! My first thread here - yay! I got fed up of stinking of paraffin, so I've just started building some LED Poi and judging by the prototypes I built, they're going to be BRIGHT.

Per Head :
3 x AAA batteries
4 x Super Bright LEDs

Each head should be about 240mm long and 30mm round, giving off a bar of light 18mm by 30mm. At the moment, I'm running the LEDs at about twice what they're specc'ed for so I'm not sure how long they'll last - time will tell. The LEDs I have now are blue, but I've seen some green ones which are ~3x brighter!

Has anyone played around with PIC Microntrollers? They're what make the Aerotech staffs etc. work, and I'm thinking of modifying the POI I'm working on so that they can flash different colours / patterns and stuff...

Cake or Death?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Cheers for the encouragement Malc - much appreciated. I shall post some more in this thread when more of the bits I need arrive...

Cake or Death?

Rymelmember
9 posts

Posted:
i'd like to make some LED poi, but i'd really like to make them out of used glowsticks. has anyone done this?

does it r0x0r j00r b0x0rz?

yes, my pants are quite happy biggrin

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i'd like to make some LED poi, but i'd really like to make them out of used glowsticks. has anyone done this?

Try [Old link]...

Cake or Death?

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
yo i dont really understand what yur saying but how are u gonna fit 3 AAA batteries in it? is it like in glowstick form?

it must be green

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Hi everyone! My first thread here - yay! I got fed up of stinking of paraffin, so I've just started building some LED Poi and judging by the prototypes I built, they're going to be BRIGHT.

Per Head :
3 x AAA batteries
4 x Super Bright LEDs

Each head should be about 240mm long and 30mm round, giving off a bar of light 18mm by 30mm. At the moment, I'm running the LEDs at about twice what they're specc'ed for so I'm not sure how long they'll last - time will tell. The LEDs I have now are blue, but I've seen some green ones which are ~3x brighter!

Has anyone played around with PIC Microntrollers? They're what make the Aerotech staffs etc. work, and I'm thinking of modifying the POI I'm working on so that they can flash different colours / patterns and stuff...

Cool! Just make sure you don't create a fire hazard. If you're running these things higher than they're supposed to be, things could get a little warm!! I'd hate for some sock LED poi to turn into fire poi mid show!! Actually, that' would be kinda cool, lol, but not with that kind of equipment, so be careful!

And by all means let us know if you come up with any magical designs!

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
joulz : Not quite like glowstick form. The batteries run down the center and the LEDs are arranged around the outsides. I'll try and remember to post a picture of what I mean this evening...

Big Andy : Point taken - I shall keep an eye on how warm things get although I reckon that when they're swung around, the air will probably be enuogh to keep them cool. We'll have to wait and see smile

Cake or Death?

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Most LEDs dissipate heat pretty easily, I'm running a 3volt LED at 6volts with no trouble... granted, you might be doing something much brighter than that, but mine you couldn't tell on from off if you had your eyes closed.

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
eek eek gosh, reading this thread just brought back a dream that i had last night - i got whacked round the head by something really hard, turns out some kid had thrown something really nasty and heavy at me (as they do).. then was about to throw it away and noticed it was a flashing green and red ball and was like "oh wow, LED poi, i'll keep that!" and then realised i only had one and had to find another......
it's always fun when random things bring dreams back to you, so sorry if that was dead boring but i thought i would share it here anyway ubbtickled
(seriously though, can you imagine how much that would have hurt?)

animals who are not penguins can only wish they were

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Quote:

(seriously though, can you imagine how much that would have hurt?)

I have a reasonable idea... *pokes at the various bruises covering his legs / head / arms etc* ...which is why these ones will be covered in foam.

The aluminium bits arrived last night so I built a really crude mockup. Looks like these are going to be awesome - and not too heavy either. I reckon they'll probably be lighter than my wicks!

Apologies for the lack of piccies - I'm moving back home with the folks for christmas and packing took longer than expected.. rolleyes ..I'll try and get some tonight instead biggrin

Cake or Death?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Right, I've got some pics of the parts and the crude mockup I made here :

Non-Https Image Link

I've now made the Aluminium parts I need. With a bit of luck, I'll have the first version (constantly on with blue LEDs) working on Weds. If I manage that, I'll post some more pics smile

EDITED_BY: FireGeeK (1074170206)

Cake or Death?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Right, Mark 1 of these POI are complete. They look fookin' amazing if I do say so myself - the trails are huge and SO bright! Here's some shots (CLick on the images for larger versions of the photos) :

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

And here's what goes inside :

Non-Https Image Link

Now if I can just figure out how to program a little PIC Microcontroller to make 'em flash / change colour... biggrin

Cake or Death?

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
Did someone mention my name??

oh, geez guys be a little more carefull about your tropes beerchug

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Did someone mention my name??

oh, geez guys be a little more carefull about your tropes beerchug

What's a 'trope' ? confused

Cake or Death?

342 posts

Posted:
a turn of phrase

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I gathered that much - what does it mean? rolleyes wink

Cake or Death?

342 posts

Posted:
if that was a joke, LOL, otherwise, The definition of "trope" is "a turn of phrase"
beerchug

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
*penny drops* ...hehe, I feel like such a fool - I understand now rolleyes ubbtickled

Please someone give me a thump - maybe next time I'll engage my brain a little sooner wink

Cake or Death?

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
hello fire geek
maybee you can send me an instruction to make those lovely led poi your pics are ok but i don`t see how to solder and fix the leds and all the parts together ubblove

peaches**86943thats sooooo not where i parked my car...................
198 posts

Posted:
there are some new leds that have 7 different colours that chase each other around they look absolutely WICKED!!!!!!!!
not sure if they are new or not in some other places but they are new to us queenslanders!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ubbangel

we cant stop here its bat country!!!!!!!!!!!

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
see if you can work one of those luxeon LED's into it w\ a heat sink and whatnot...also make some sort of shockabsorbtion, and for a 3rd idea....try lexan plastic its strong as fook and translucent.....just ideas....

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
FireGeek, those LED poi are amazing:)
I second the motion-please make a tutorial for building those- I want a pair in the worst way now! biggrin

At the moment I'm working on my own homemade set of beginner's poi- I will have to post instructions for those too, they're coming along very well so far.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
please please please i wont to build some to please mail me how i can make them
thanks for all

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
how dare radio shack let me down? ah well. found https://www.superbrightleds.com/mini_tubes.htm
those on google. they look super sweet.

and why do people call me a raver when i swing glowing stuff, and a firedancer when i do the exact same thing with kerosine?

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
good stuff guys. time to put that electronics a level into some use. lets put some sort of timer circut in there as well.
has anyone thought of having the batteries on cuffs on your wrists. ok so you cant let go but it means you have the reduced weight and can get back to fast glowstringing.

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
smit, poi is an art form, ive seen people do some insane moves damn fast but because they had no style or rythm whatsoever it looked horrible....speed...isnt that important.....style.....skill.....and appearance really count in a performance

prizes

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Quote:

smit, poi is an art form, ive seen people do some insane moves damn fast but because they had no style or rythm whatsoever it looked horrible....speed...isnt that important.....style.....skill.....and appearance really count in a performance

*gets out rubber stamp that says "JADED", smacks darkpoet in the head with it*

No, just kidding, you're absolutely right, but let's face it, alotta "ravers" are addicted to speed when it comes to glowstick poi, so electronic glow poi that are light enough to spin at blazingly fast speeds are not without a customer base.

The "duct tape a rav'n in the end of a glowstick" thing is still my favorite home made poi idea to date. So easy, so cheap, and so cool lookin!

Those look neat from the pics though, Fire Geek! I'd like to see those in action.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:

Quote:

*gets out rubber stamp that says "JADED", smacks darkpoet in the head with it*

wha..........................? confused
and rav'n party lights are like 20$ each. lol hows that cheap?

prizes

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Wow, been a while since I posted on here, but I'm back again smile Unfortunately, most of the metal parts for these were machined on a lathe.. but I bet you could make something similar out of plastic!

The actual electronics are pretty simple - four super-bright LEDs (in parallel) atatched to 3 AAA batteries. If you'd like a diagram, I can provide you with one.. ?

I got the batteries from eurobatteries.com (AAA NiMh) - £1.55 per battery, but they're rechargeable.
LEDs came from led-lights.co.uk - £1.32 each

Bear in mind that you need 4 LEDs and 3 batteries per head so ~£9.93 per head. On the plus side though, they're rechargeable and in my experience, will still be super bright after 3-4 hours use!

I really need to get round to ordering the parts to make a flashing circuit so I can flash different colours, speeds etc. Sounds to my like dark poet is already onto this though biggrin

Cake or Death?

vimstrange/r/st/-ish
142 posts

Posted:
Quote:

re FireGeeK on another thread.
How are you mixing them? Just two colours on at a time? I plan to strobe mine at speeds higher than the eye can perceive to mix the colours more effectively. I've not (yet) tried this, but it ought to work - that's how computer monitors work after all (well, sorta )!

thought this might be a bit off topic for the Luxeon thread.

At the moment I'm mixing them two colours at a time, each light at 100%. I'm trying to find a way to specify how much power to provide to each light, which should allow a huge variety of colours. I tried using Pulse Width Modulation , which might be similar to what your planning to do?
I'm using relatively cheap controllers for my poi and while they do PWM it's unusable because it's low speed (something like 100 cycles a second) and you can clearly see the off section of the strobe when the poi head is in motion. More expensive hardware or a pure analogue circuit should get the frequency up, but it starts to get expensive or requires more experience than I have.

As far as mixing the colours - you might not _need_ to strobe: movement is your friend here. I'm using 8mm LEDs at the moment, positioned side by side on the end of the PCB, so two of the colours are about 10mm apart. When held still they don't mix very well at all, but when in motion it mixes perfectly.

peace

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
PWM is definitely the way forward - and what I plan to use. If you're just mixing them straight, that's definitely a contributing factor to the off-colours.

You should be able to produce a PWM signal with a cheap 555 timer which'll strobe fast enough that you can't tell when spinning.

One of the reasons I'd want to strobe is to get pretty patterns :

Non-Https Image Link

...but also to mix / balance the colours. Red LEDs / luxeons tend to be MUCH brighter than their blue counterparts, so I'll start by using PWM to dim the (red / green) colours down to the dimmest (blue). Once they're balanced, having them all on at once should give you white light. Then if you strobe them slower, you should be able to produce other colours as well smile It'll probably take a bit of work to get it looking right, but it's certainly possible (I hope)!

Cake or Death?

Page: