claremember
82 posts

Posted:
go on, what did you wear? who did you take?did it involve big, ugly, princess Di dresses, or did you not go at all?just curious.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Of all the questions I never thought I'd hear here.......But if you must know,To my prom I wore a very nice black sport coat with the sleeves ripped off, a Ralph Lauren dress shirt with the sleeves ripped off and a Social distortion T-shirt with the sleeves ripped off. I had on a pair of nice new black cargo pants tucked into 14 eye Doc Martins, a black fedora, a spiked collar and bracelets, a bondage belt and a $50 black silk tie. It didn't involve any big, ugly princess Di dresses (my date wore a small skimpy mini skirt), but as I recall it did involve a large amount of bourbon and Goldshlager grinIt was a good night as I recall, but why do you ask? Is Prom coming up for our Clare?------------------If you love something, set it on fire.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 22 January 2002).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I think I can claim probably the best story for my high school formal. After all, there are not many people who can say that they went to their formal/prom via helicopter! tongueAs a joke I mentioned to a friend that it would be fun and then told a passing teacher what my suggestion was. The teacher said something like "I don't like your chances!"CHALLENGE! grinThat got me thinking, so my friend and I thought about it and that night I wrote a letter to the 3 main network TV stations asking for help and suggesting they could do an "after the weather" story on end of year formals etc.Seven said that they wouldn't do it because it costs them too much (about $1000/hr in fuel + costs).Ten said they didn't have a helicopter and it costs too much to hire one.Nine didn't respond.... well not directly to me.They contacted my school to ask if it was ok and if they could film etc, the school said yes, and they both kept it a secret. A week before the formal I got a call from some dude at channel 9 and he said it was good to go!My best mate and our dates took off from the school oval with about 20 people watching on and did a flyby over Adelaide and about 30 minutes later touched down on Glenelg Beach with all the other students out on the grass cheering us on.They did a bit of filming in and around the formal and an interview. We were on tv, got a hat each and some great memories for free - all because we asked for it!That was the stations reasoning. To encourage us as young people to try for the things we want even if it is unlikely. Good message smile

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
They let the special needs kids do some of the catering for ours. I'm not going to finish this story because it always makes me feel very, very sick...... even after (what year is this?)...erm 12 years.Prom was dull. I wasn't attractive enough for a date (let me re-emphasise that 12 yrs ago thing). The DJ refused to play any of the music my friends requested and seem surprised when he was ambushed on the way to his car later by one or two of the more thuggish elements of the class.No helicopters.------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
i didnt have one frown i dropped out.. actually i finish my highschool component this week..i went to my friends though..she went in a pvc ball gown and her date wore a purple top hate and black tux with tails and frilly shirt.. he looked like a well dresses version of the guy from the comic book gloom cookie. her hair was bealced beyond repair and it was put up nicly with bits of spray painted babys breath in it..i went in a pvc cat suit, purley for the spinning joy of going.. the glow sticks went over pretty well.. didnt end up with a date though. frown im not that cool i guess..

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Ahh yes my school formal.Crap… really but aren’t they all?Well to start with that was my gothic period so naturally I hated everyone in school. Particularly everyone who went to except my select friends as my school was a jok-orientated place. Where if you played sport you were the coolest, or if you were pretty etc. I was just plain weird, so none of the popular people liked me, it was a mutual thing so I am cool with it.Anyway…. I wore a long black velvet dress (it’s in my gothic photo page, has a spider embroided on it now), with fish nets and lots of dark make up. I wanted to wear my docs with it, but I decided I better wear some high heels. They hurt like hell, so I took them off. I got told off by some bellboy for having barefeet. Food was dismal. I wasn’t allowed to invite my boyfriend because he didn’t go to our school. He waited outside with my best friend and a bottle of Vodka. I sneered at all the people I didn’t like, got annoyed at the DJ for not playing Killing in the Name off by Rage Against the Machine, then finally I decided to throw some grapes onto the dance floor and watch the commotion. Ahhh fun I got to see the girl who I hated most (for various reasons, including being a bitch bully to me) slip over on her arse. After laughing my head off and reveling in it. I then left the building, met up with my boyfriend and my best friend and proceeded to get drunk on the beach. Then I had to work the next day at 9.30am. High School Formal/Prom *shudder* if I could have done it again…...I wouldn’t have------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

chicazulBRONZE Member
16 posts

Posted:
Might as well contribute to a pointless thread. smileHmm...memories. We don't have "prom" per se up here, but I went to my grad dance in a navy blue princess dress (at least they *said* it was navy...to this day I insist it's purple...i hate purple...), my blue-tinted sunglasses, and knee-high granny boots. My "date" was my best friend, dressed as usual in leather pants, steel-toed boots, trenchcoat...and a tie. He spent most of the night getting people to autograph his infamous Book.At the time I was not on speaking terms with most of my friends, severely unimpressed with the whole graduation spectacle, and I spent the last song sitting outside by myself, crying. I do remember running through the sprinklers though, so it wasn't all that bad. Not the most memorable night of my life though...

Flambabemember
16 posts

Posted:
Wow...prom. Now that's a nightmare I haven't thought about much lately. I spent most of the night avoiding my ex-boyfriend who was threatening to pummel my date who was just a friend. The after party was a bit better. I got way way too drunk and went swimming at a friends party. I think the majority of people I know look at prom night as a painful but unneccessay rite of passage. In retrospect, I should have skipped prom. Funny thing, though...14 years later, I am friends again with that same ex-boyfriend. He moves out here to Los Angeles from the east coast, and he and his fiance spend Thanksgiving with me, my husband, and all our Burningman friends.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I didn't have a prom as such, but a really small ball before we all left school. it was a hotel place that was miles away from where any of us lived, there was almost no-one there because I went to a small school, all the spirits were incredably cheap and nasty, the food was horrible.On the plus side, I did get to wear my bow tie untied hanging round my neck like you see in loads of films smileOne piece of advise for people who havn't had their prom yet - If you can't already, learn to tie a bowtie, it's much better than a fake one.------------------Bovril - It's liquid cow y'know

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Mine's in a week but I'm gonna miss it (I'll be in Austria grin) I was, however, asked by someone I am quite partial to and am v. upset frown

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
Well being only 17 and living in Australia we have a school run dance each year. Last year the dance was set to a "60's" theme, I had several ideas for what I was going to wear, I was thinking the late JFK or perhaps a space man. But then I had an exelent vibe, at no point in time was it stated on paper or in word that it was a 1960's theme. I went on an op shop crawl and played on the sewing machine and created an 1760's costume, complete with frock coat, tricone hat, ruffled shirt, waist coat, breeches, shoes and tights. I don't know what I'll do this year, the theme has yet to be announced.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

Kameronmember
11 posts

Posted:
Lets see... too years ago, i had dropped out of school in hopes of becomming a famous actress.. that fell through and i was sent to live in the middle of nowhere North Carolina with a relative... my friends all dressed me up in a stupid white peasant dress (which i would prob. like now), which looked really funny with my multi-colored hair do at the time... (This was small town NORTH CAROLINA in the 80's folks, i'm lucky to be here alive)My friends tried to sneak me in , since i didn't go to thier school it was an issue.) We all were kicked out, I think perhaps since i didn't blend in too well, or possibly the huge riotous grand entry we made.My best friends DAD was a chap, so she had to go in and get her pic taken while i hung out in the parking lot with about 9 others . The worst part was that my friends had set me up with the strangest guy... the kind who thinks he is really funny that you just wish you could kick... i couldn't get rid of him all night. He thought it was funny that i was annoyed with the entire event and had a great time being "witty" (i would probably like him now as well)It worked out better than it began, we all took off to the beach in a huge station wagon, paddeled via boat out to a private island, there was a huge bonfire party with a band on the beach.....and danced all night.. every time i go to visit my best friend who suckered me into it she takes great joy in bringing out all the old pics to show off to all.I think she likes to bring it up to humiliate me since i ran off with her date by the end of the night. Yeah it was a shitty thing to do.. but umm, well my date sucked.. , she forgave me.. but i bet when we are old and grey she will still bring 'em out to rub in my face. Ahh well, justice.

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
isnt it funny that most people seem to go through a 'gothic phase'?sickpuppy, yes, i admit it. yr 12 ball in a month or so. and it made me curious about what other people did for theirs.see, the downer is that i was informed yesterday that there's a heap of rumours doin the rounds about what crazy getup i'll be wearing. well.... sadly a blue bodice and silver skirt arent that crazy. and now i dont know what to do to satisfy the masses!i'm figuring about the only thing i can do is either break the bank and my ankles buying some killer knee-high highheel boot/strappy things, OR bust my arse in a search for antique jewellery, pile my hair up and pass myself off as a victorian missie. either way something gets broken.*mock sigh* oh the stresses of a teenage life.

SurlochSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
I went to Brisbane Grammar school, and their formals really, really suck. For some reason though, all the girls would kill to go to the Grammar formal. One of my friends had this date who wanted her best friend to go with her. I didn't have a date, and they begged me to take her so the two of them could go to the formal together. I should never have agreed. Whatever you do, never take someone you're only taking because someone else wanted you to. Hell, my advice is just not to go at all and save yourself the trouble. Honestly, unless you go to a small highschool nobody will notice you didn't turn up. Even then, you could probably say you arrived later and they were too drunk to remember grin

Ní mar a síltear a bítear

“Things may not be as they seem to be”

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Wow, didn't know so many people hated their formals! I rather enjoyed mine. Didn't go to a big party after, but my gf and I had a room at a nice hotel lined up afterwards.I even went the following year to hers and had a good time. smileSure the food is never good, the music is crap, but hey, you are there with your friends and you _can_ have a great time. smilePMA! (just learned that one the other day = positive mental attitude grin)

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

tallicaburtonmember
51 posts

Posted:
Weird. At the past 2 proms I've gone to, and one more this year, the food is always really good. Ice sculptures and choclate dipped strawberries. You can invite whoever you want (they don't have to go to your school, they can be sophomores). The music what is popular at the time... so I either love the song or despise it.Seems like lots of people go through their "hate everyone at their highschool" around prom time. I'm in my "love everyone in general" phase, so now all those 'snots' that I used to be friends with, I'm friendly with again. Most people are nice, and I can just start a conversation with whoever, and just ignore the "social boundaries" that we ourselves set up. Of course, there are people who are still like this, but I suppose there are always going to be "haters". I'm excited about this prom. Sophomore year this girl I didn't know too well invited me, and I was a year younger then most everyone, so I didn't have a great time. Last year I went with my gf, but we were in the "i'm too smart for everyone else here, dancing is sooo stupid" phase, so we danced a little, and sat a lot. I was also really depressed then. THIS YEAR I'm going with my theatre friends, and I think I'm going to take one of my best friends Roberta. She does a mean pop lock, and so do I. We are gonna work on our breakdancing, and even if we can't break too well, we'll still tear up the dance floors with some classic 80s liquid. Ahhhh...I'm excited, it's going to rock. Boy I got off topic, not like you guys care... wink have a great day! PLUR -john