Forums > Social Chat > Slippy Floors and Poss. Remedies

Login/Join to Participate

Spoonerismmember
31 posts

Posted:
Hi people hope your all happy,Im having loads of trouble with the slippiness of the surfaces that Im swinging on coz of the oil. Im having to put more concentration into what my feet are doing than what my hands are doing and that perfect motion feeling just isnt there sometimes, consequently Im wobbling a bit on really basic moves every now and then and this came to a head the other night when I had to drop a poi to put myself out! Bummer...There was loads of people watching and I felt like a right gimp. Any suggestions//solutions would be very much appreciated, Ive been thinking about how Coca Cola acts like a detergent and we all know how sticky it gets, but I would rather think about dry fuels first. As opposed to fighting the problem, I would prefer it to just go away if you know what I mean. Ive tried parrafin blocks (firelighters) but they just go out. Im thinking of doing a proper experiment into this with ratios of charcoal and firelighter etc. but before I go into professor mode I was hoping there would be someone out there whose already dealt with this and can just say " here you are mate, do this...sorted""Dont think about all those things you fear...just be glad to be here" Anyone know who that tune is???Dreamer...

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
sand

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Sand is good, but awkward to clean up afterwards if that is required.Overall, there are certain surfaces and areas that I will refuse to work on, especially if I'm using my "obscene amounts of fuel" (quote from the omnipresent Cantus).Wood and porous concrete or tiles are great. As is short tough grasses, asphalt and most road surfaces.Cobblestones or smooth tiles are scarily dangerous, as well as uneven nonporous surfaces that make the fuel pool in certain areas instead of evaporating first.I have also noticed a significant increase in evaporation if you keep the fuel warm or hot, although this is not recommended unless you have a safety, as it appears you aren't using one.Overall, the presence of a knowledgable safety is a serious consideration, expecially if you are on a dangerous surface.In conclusion, if you think you may slip, don't use fire, or move somewhere else, or sprinkle down some sand. If you slipped and knocked yourself out, you could get nasty burns or even die without a safety around.Play safe...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
We've been wrestling with this problem in our posse all the time. We ususally just move around. Sometimes we mop but it gets worse (wet) before it gets better so we need to wait.I'm against the Coke thing because then you'd get areas of extreme stickyness and areas of extreme sliperyness which is almost worse.Sand is also bad because you can slip as well on the sandy floors...Usually we just enjoy the skating rink smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I don't know what it would be called in England, but there is a product that I use everyday at my job as a machinist, so I'm shure you English have an equivelent. It's called "Ultrasorb" it's basicly like cat box sand but about 100 times more absorbant. We use it to clean up cutting oil spills, and the like. It wrorks great and is pretty easy to clean up if you have a broom handy. It also helps give traction on slippery surfaces. Hope it helps.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 16 December 2001).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Well if it is a small spill you need to clean up, you can try this:Cut open a "feminine hygiene" product to access the absorbent stuff inside. I think this stuff would work as well as that "Ultrasorb" stuff.If it is just a slippery surface try spraying hairspray on the soles of your shoes. A friend of mine plays basketball and one of his old coaches decided that if the players shoes were not squeaking during training, then the players were not trying hard enough (try and work that out!?) So he and his teammates would spray hairspray on their shoes.If the area is fairly small and frequently used for twirling how about using surfboard wax on the floor?? No idea if this would work.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Oh good another postee who hails from the generic land of England.Also rather pleasant to be described as omnipresent grinWith regards to the subject (Ha! You didn't think i could do it did you?) I concur with Bendy. Surfboard wax may take some of the sheen off of the surface. Although excessive amounts of spilt fuel will combine to create what is known in technical circles as an "icky sitcky mess"Mr Puppy's suggestion of kitty litter also has some merit.Saw dust might also work.I think this is one of them trail and error situations. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules as such.Sorted.------------------C@ntusDance the dance that plays within the fire and play guitar and the play it inspired. You said you wouldn't leave me not ever, underneath the sky forever.And we're so far from home, no wish to return. there's so much that we have taught and so much we have learned.

Meh

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
just a note...did a show on an asphalt road the other day, and it was getting extemely skatey...so even nice roads can go that way!!How bout glueing sandpaper to the bottom of your shoes?? wink------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure sprinkling the ground with Class A drugs is a reccomended way to stop your self falling over...I have to say - silly though it sounds Foobaa's idea seems the most logical in terms of slippage prevention. Maybe not sandpaper on your shoes (I don't the dancefloor owners would like you very much...) but at least better grip. This way you aren't limited on where is safe to tread.If you want a cheap de-greaser, try lemon juice; real or "Jif".On a side note, with winter drawing in I had the most ridiculously stupid spin today when I was determined to practice fire outside. Unfortunately it was -2 degrees and so I was either walking on ice or fuel. Got some good moonwalking going though :P

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Oh - and surely saw dust would be a really bad idea (if it was the big curly kind of saw dust) as it's fairly flammable itself and mixing with fuel wouldn't be a good idea.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
Yo Bendy!The hairspray is a good idea, but isn't it flammable?

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
i just ran into this problem the first time last week. i normally only spin at the beach, but last week i did my first club... and i noticed that the floor was getting speckled. i dont wear shoes either, dont dance real well with them. so much of my energy and attention was on NOT falling or slipping, and then worrying about accuracy of moves, when i dont normally have to worry about either when i dont have to adjust for balance. solution?... i came up with my next trial being: use coleman white gas, get two sets of wicks, and let them them sit outside the fuel for 15 or so minutes and let them drip and evaporate... then possible run them down the stairs and spin them off outside also...anyone for this? or been tried and bombed so i can use something else? i dont think that the club owners will like sandpaper... or kitty litter... i wouldnt either. or mop. hmmmmay your flames burn bright

Wow

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
We were talking about leather on the soles of your shoes... but we gave up and found it easier to just "deal with the slipperyness" ... at least for now.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]